dwarf poinciana

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

How does one propigate this, is it easy enough to do?

kathy

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Very easy from seed. I just put really hot water on them (almost boiling), immediately take them out and plant in regular to good quality potting soil and they germinate good within 10 days for me.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Debbie~

What does the quick dip into the very hot water actually do?

Robert.

Robert-
Softens the seed coat just a bit--you might could do it without this step but someone who is a tissue culturist by profession taught me that trick. He's taught me several tricks over the years. He used to work for Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham Texas when they opened up but now has his own company. He's what you might call, umm, a "special" friend; in more ways than one. We don't often talk 'shop' but if I'm having trouble with something, he will help.

I'm not really crazy about this plant myself, but I grow a lot of them to trade people for things I do want. Kinda like Canna's and a few other plants.
Debbie

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Debbie want to trade something for one of yours? LOL

id love to trade for one what kind of plants do you like

I wanted to know how to propigate it in case I bought one. I like the flowers
kathy

I've heard of soaking in hot-warm water to soften and get moisture into the seed, but it was always a soak and not a dip.

Thanks Deb.

Guys, they are really easy and fast to germinate.

Kathy--have any interesting natives?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

natives to Arkansas or Texas LOL not sure on that. and I may but i'm not big on natives so I'm not sure what they would be for eitther.

kathy

They *are* easy, I second that.

I just soaked the seeds overnight in water and planted them. They were up in no time. They're about 12-15 inches tall now. They might be taller but I've kept them 6 to a 6" pot till next year when I'll put them all in the ground with one kept potted to take inside "just in case".

Robert.

Thumbnail by raydio

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.