New plant I've never seen before!

Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

I just got a new plant and until now had never seen or even heard of. It was the featured plant of the month at Home Depot and I fell in love at first sight. Of course I was able to find it in Plant Files. It's a sanservieria cylindrica. The "leaves" are totally round and hard. I took a bunch of pictures but will only post a few.

The first one is the whole plant in the window. It's coolness is hard to see though.

Thumbnail by wooconley
Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's a closeup of the leaves - they have these dark green lines against a lighter green background - almost looks light glazed ceramic with fine stripes painted on.

Thumbnail by wooconley
Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's a better picture from back a bit.

Thumbnail by wooconley
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

sansevieria cylindrica

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/14434/

Hometown, IL(Zone 5a)

I love this species. Cool to look at, and super easy to grow, just like all it's kin.
Do you have any more Sans in your collection?

Marsha.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

This is too cool. I also just got the same plant about a week ago at my HD. I repotted mine tonight because it was in the wettest soil and just would not dry out. I've never used a black pot before but I sort of like the sansevieria cylindrica with the black.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

That has got to be one of the coolest plants I have ever seen!Looks like an emergency trip to HD is in order ! Looks amazing in that pot Jesse : )

Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

they didn't have black pots at my HD - just an offwhite and the silver/pewter looking. My living room is done in blacks, pewters, and chocolate browns so the white would NOT have gone. The silver looks fine.

I love finding unusual plants like these - proof that life is strange and wonderful.

Davenport, IA

I just bought one of these at Walmart yesterday. There were 4 in the pot. When I repotted them, I divided them. It says in the plant files to let them callous over. I didn't do that. Should I dig them up and let them callous over, or will they be alright?

Tammy,

They will probably be okay if you didn't saturate the soil. It's always a good idea on succulents to let them callous for a day or more when cutting. If you feel uncomfortable with it, then pull them up, rinse off the soil around the cuts, cut again, and let callous.

I bought one at Wal-Mart last week but they just had pots that had one single fan - big, and fat. I already had this plant but my old one is slender and tall.

Davenport, IA

Thanks for your reply . When I broke them apart, there were alot of roots attached. Maybe I'll wait a day or two before I pull them up. Could this slow the growing if I don't let them callous? Do they grow fast or slow? They had some at WM that were huge, but only one in a pot. I always try to get enough to share with my friend. Thanks again.

I don't think allowing them to not callous will slow the growing down. The only think you don't want is for pathogens to get into the plant through the cuts or broken rhizome. If the soil stays somewhat dry and is porous, you should be okay. It should heal in place. Water can be a way for the diseases to multiply and infect the damaged tissue.

I don't know the growth rate on these but going by their size and availability it seems the grower has a way with them. My other one is very slow growing. It may have a few new offsets after a few years whereas most other sans fill the pots in just a season or two.

Davenport, IA

I guess I'll be digging them up today. About how long does it take to callous over? Also, do I just lay them on a newspaper somewhere to dry them out? Thanks for all your help hcmcdole.

Tammy,

A newspaper would be fine - filtered sunlight would help speed the process. You can also treat any wounds with some kind of fungicide or rooting hormone which should help keep disease at bay. A day or longer should do the trick. It should harden over any raw wounds and is a good visual sign. Callous is akin to scabs on mammals - keeps infection out. I have left agaves out of pots all winter last year with no water and then planted in the ground this year and they are growing away.

Davenport, IA

All dug up and ready to dry. Thanks so much for helping me out with this. This plant reminds me of a bromilaid. The way it attaches to the mother.

Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

How often do they send up new "spikes"? I'm not looking for offsets for a while but wondered if they grew much at all.

My old one is very slow. Here is a picture of it with the mother (the short squat one in front) and all her children (4 or 5) that have popped up over the last 3 to 4 years. If it had been grown in ideal conditions it might be twice as numerous but then I don't know. Maybe an expert on this variety can give us a heads up.

I have propagated from one leaf cutting so far and the two pups off of it are about 3 inches high and this is its second summer. That is pretty slow.

This new variety that is hitting all the stores lately may be a weed (let's hope). Time will tell.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Sanford, FL

No one mentioned the name of this new cylindrica variety... it is 'Skyline'. This was most certainly a sport that
arose from a regular green cylindrica, and has apparently been propagated by the thousands from simply growing them to maturity and waiting for offsets, growing those to maturity for offsets, etc, etc. I'm shocked that
they are not from tissue culture, but I'm hearing they are from offsets only. I know one release was a massive 25,000 plants... that's a LOT of offsets. I understand they are marketed from Europe, but grown in southeast Asia, I believe Thailand and another country or two.

S. cylindrica 'Skyline' exhibits a very pretty lighter shade of green than the species, with narrow, broken dark green lines, which are caused by the dark green being down in the natural grooves of the leaf. I have not seen it in the flesh, but it's making quite a splash with Sans growers across the country. I do not believe this will come true from leaf cutting propagations, but rather will produce the normal green cylindrica.

Russ
central Fla

Thanks for that info, Russ. They have a funny spelling of "cylindrica" on the pot which is probably a mistake instead of a new name.

Here is a picture of my new one and old one together. I cropped this to get a closer view of color and markings. The new one is lighter in color and looks like it has vertical markings and is at least twice the diameter.

This message was edited Sep 28, 2006 8:43 AM

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

The uncropped picture.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

I'm wondering if this is a more picky plant than other sans. I lost mine last winter. It was just a baby plant, tho. I really do like the lighter green on the newer variety. It's a neat plant.

Susan

Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

I just bought this and LOVE it. Don't want to lose it. I have it in an east window that gets light from dawn until early afternoon. Do I water it once a month like my other sans?

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I recently bought S. Cylindrica 'Skyline' and note the same differences as Butch.

Thumbnail by GrowHappy
Sanford, FL

Wooconley, you're underwatering your Sans if you're only watering once a month. During the winter when they're
resting this probably won't be an issue, but in summer and in hot Louisiana, you should be watering more. Of course a growing mix with a lot of peat moss in it will require less water than a more open, crunchy mix, so watering frequency can vary. A good general rule of thumb is, when the top of the soil mix is dry to a depth of about an inch or so, it's time to water. That said, I wouldn't make any changes til next spring/early summer, your
Sans won't make the adjustment well in the colder months.

Russ

Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Russ - just when would you call it spring in central Louisiana? We have daffodils out in Feb. Very strange for a Northern girl.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I visited a WM about 40 mi. from home this weekend, and they also had this plant, marked at 50% off, so I got a nice one for $7.50. A single large fan, just like hcmcdole's.

I debated for a while, then decided that even a 'small' one would cost me more than that...the shipping alone would likely be $7.50.

It was marked 'Cylandrica plant' - 2005 European plant of the year....that's it.
The lady at the garden center said 'This is a new plant for us, and we don't know anything about it'....so I proceeded to tell her.....they weren't even aware of the fact that it was a Sansevieria!

I'm happy to know the cultivar name, too, Russ...thanks!

Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

Nan - can't believe you got this for $7.50! I paid $25 at Home Depot.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Me neither!! LOL!!
I was so happy, after I got home, that I *did not* resist the temptation this time;)
If I'd had more $$ and a bigger car, I'd have bought the other 2!

I love it!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Nice purchases!! I just got one to thru a trade. Isn't it cool!
:) Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.