Crocosmia

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Hi Everyone

My name is Mark and i am from Lincolnshire in the UK.

I was just wondering if there are any other collectors of crocosmia out there somewhere.........
I have been collecting now for around 5 years and have around 235 varieties! In fact I have applied for National Collection Status........

So if anyone has any strange or new crocosmia, and want to share info and/or photos let me know!!

Hope there are some people out there that love crocosmia as much as i do

Thank you

Mark

Thumbnail by Mr_Crocosmia
(Zone 5a)

Hi Mark, nice to meet you! Great photo!
Over 200 varieties is really something! I love Crosmia too but unfortunately I've had no luck growing them :-( I have two pots in my greenhouse I planted this spring but they haven't flowered. My second try without luck. Are they hardy in your area? I'm not sure how to overwinter them, any pointers?

Hey Rannveig

Good to meet you too........... Thank you, I love taking photos of them!!
Oh dear, sorry to hear that you don't have much luck growing them!!
Depends what variety of crocosmia you have as to how hardy they are........... some are very tender and some are very hardy!!
Yes they are hardy here, as long as they are planted deep.......... by deep i mean six inches below soil level.
If you are overwintering them in this country i cover them with plant fleece and then put layers of leaves on the top of that!!!
I guess in your country its a lot colder than here, so i would say, take them indoors if they are in pots!! But keep the soil dry............ if they get wet in winter they will rot!!
stand them somewhere where they will be nice and cool, but frost free..........
Hope that helps

Mark

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Hello Mark,

That is quite a collection you have. I love crocosmia and any plants which flower at this time of the year. I have been looking out for the name of a smallish pale yellow Crocosmia that I saw in a garden on the Isle of Bute last week as I would like to get one. It's funny how just about the only plant which doesn't have a label is the one you want to know. There were some taller rich golden yellow ones too with quite large flowers which looked very attractive. I'll have to look them up.

Pat

Hi Pat

Small pale Yellow one........... there are quite a few........... but look out for what the nurseries call 'CITRONELLA'.......... This is a small Yellow Pottsii..... I think that will be the one you are looking for!!
Yes, I often go round nurseries and find the labels are either missing or the wrong label is in the pot...............
The tall Yellow could be either 'WALBERTON YELLOW' or 'ROWALLANE YELLOW' , my favourite Yellow would have to be 'GOLDEN DEW'......... it is a beauty....... also has Bronze foliage!!
Look them up and let me know what you think.........

Mark

Hi Pat

Just found a pic i took of my Golden Dew..............

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Mark, welcome.I love crosmias, and have tried quite a few different ones, most of which have lost the labels now (nothing new there)
I've enclosed a photo of one here which I believe to be Star of the East?

A couple of other ones I lost altogether, maybe they were more tender ones, though I am quite mild here on the south coast.

Thumbnail by sueone

Hi Sueone

Isn't it amazing how the labels get lost........... Often wonder how that happens!!!
Your pic of Star of the East............... there is no image to click on, so i cannot see what you have enclosed!!!
I have enclosed a photo of a Star Of The East................. so maybe you can compare it with your photo!!

How deep did you plant the ones that you lost???????????????

Mark

(Zone 5a)

Mark your Golden Dew and Star of the East are beauties. Thanks for the tip - they should be ok in the garage over winter. The ones I have now is Emberglow. Also tried a mixed pack once with no luck either. Hope I'll be able to keep 'em alive this winter and hopefully they'll flower next year!

Hi Rannveig
Yes, they should be ok in the garage overwinter.......... just keep them nice and dry and don't let them freeze!!!
I am sure that they will be fine..........
Let me know how they do.............
Do you have any photos of the area that you live in????????? Always wondered what icelandic gardens and houses are like.......

Thank you
Mark

(Zone 5a)

Yes, I've posted photos on several threads:

my welcome mat:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/645304/

here on the european forum:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/608338/

and on the photos forum I posted photos from our trip to the westfjords of Iceland this summer - I wil be posting more photos there when Daves gets back to normal and I can post photos again;-)
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/651028/

that's most of them, but there are a few more scattered around more threads as well :-)

Hiya

Oh cool, nice photos.................. Nice size garden you have!!!!

Thank you for sharing them................

Mark

rk, yep that looks like it.I did try a couple of times to post the photos , but each time it never appeared. I also had Emily Mackenzie and Solfar, or something similar to that. I bought them in large pots, and just planted those at ground level.

I'd never really taken any notice of Crocosmias before, until my local garden centre had a load in pots flowering at head height,(and reduced) guess before then I'd never really looked at them properly, just taken for granted the ordinary comoon garden one that i already had. Some of them had beautiful big flowers, and I seem to remember on a gardening program about a couple being scentedtoo?

Thumbnail by sueone

Hey Sueone

Wonder why you cannot post photos?????????? strange isn't it!!
Emily McKenzie and i think you mean Solfatare......... Pretty Yellow flowers and dark foliage??
If i were you, i would bury them deeper............ A lot of people make the mistake of burying them at the top of the pot level............. Then they get frosted and rot!!
I would dig them up and bury them so the top of the pot level is 4 inches below soil level!! That way you will get a nice strong plant stem!!!

Yes people tend to think of crocosmia as those common orange ones and red lucifer etc.......... they dont know about nice ones like PEPPER, HARLEQUIN, THE PRINCE ETC ETC...........
I have around 240 varieties now............... you would love them!!!!!
Never heard of any scented ones................ but you never know i guess!!

Still not got a pic to click on..........

This pic is a species plant called Aurea............. Beautiful!!!

Mark

Just a little more info for you sueone.............
Solfatare............... is a very tender plant!!!!
X Crocosmiiflora
1886, Lemoine. Plant was bred in 1886. Large flower displaying themselves full face, Naples Yellow, habit almost erect; stems 65cm high, a very distinctive and attractive cultivar. ‘Solfaterre’ is a long running misspelling, Nelson, (1999) identified its first use in “The Gardeners Chronicle” only a year after ‘Solfatare’ was first released and thus established unambiguously the correct spelling. This did not, however, explain why the misspelled name persisted for well over a century, with both spellings used concurrently by different nurseries in England in the 19th century and, more erratically, in the 20th century. The answer almost certainly lies in the fact that the Lemoine catalogue was printed in both French and English editions. At least one early English edition survives with the incorrect spelling, which is not a translation. It is likely that this spelling error occurred in the very first listing of ‘Solfatare’ in the English catalogue and was never corrected. Other variants include ‘Solfataire’, ‘Solfatara’ and ‘Solfaterra’. ‘Solfatara is both the English and Italian translation of the French Solfatare; Solfatara is a geological term for fumarole, a gaseous volcanic vent that discharges sulphurous fumes. The name derives from the volcanic region just North of Naples, which was a well-known tourist attraction on the grand tour in Victorian times. Lemoine made no mention of the plants having distinctively coloured foliage. The choice of name for a plant with Sulphur Yellow flowers and Smoky Green foliage no doubt alluded to this geological feature. RHS Award of Garden Merit, 1993.1886; VICTOR LEMOINE CATALOGUE No.104, 1886 – 1899 ( 13 years ).
There you go............... something to read for you.............!!!

Mark

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Mark, glad you enjoyed them!
Sueone, you're not the only one having problems posting photos - I haven't been able to post any all day.

Strange how i can post photos................ and both of you can't !!!!

Just to annoy you both i am going to post another photo.............. LOL

Crocosmia 'Krakatoa'

(Zone 5a)

Lucky you! LOL Nice photo - that's a beauty!
We're not the only ones - it's some server problem.

Yes its quite a new variety................. Very pretty!!!

Oh dear, sorry you cannot post photos................... But why isn't it affecting me????

beautiful colour Mark. I

have the red Lucifer? (sorry , my memory is attrocious) these were corms? that someone sent me, soI'm not totally sure if it's the genuine article.

I think christopher Lloyd released one grown from his stock too, probably called Great Dixter .

Trying to load pic of Lucifer

Thumbnail by sueone

Fiddlesticks!!......

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the information Mark, I'll look out for them in the nurseries. Can you recommend a mail order nursery with a good selection. I suppose I should surf the net! Have all these lovely large flowered varieties been around for a long time, as I've only noticed them in the past two or three years?

I wonder what is wrong with the photos today?

Hey Sueone

Lucifer is quite common, so you probably have the right one.............

The Christopher Lloyd one is actually called Dixter Flame............. i would say!!! The name C Lloyd doesnt really ring a bell with me........ I will have to look that one up!!

Seems everyone is having problems with posting photos.............

Mark

Hi Patbarr

There are quite a few nurseries that sell crocosmia................... check out hillview hardy plants, cotswold garden flowers, binny plants, beeches nursery and properplants.com........all do a good selection!!
Yeah, there have been lots of large flowered varieties around for a long long time.......... people just don't tend to think about them much until they see lots of different ones in a block!!
I don't know whats wrong with the photos today.............. for some reason i can still post photos!!! Seems like everyone else can!!
was at meadowhall last week.................. only 45min drive from me.......!!

Mark

Thought i would post this photo of a Crocosmia that has just opened...............
It is called Golden Ballerina.
INFO: Aurea
Ex. habitat, PBR applied for but refused on the basis the plant came into the trade from habitat collected corms. Quite a vigorous, large flowered Orange form.

Mark

Oh dear............ looks like i can't post pics either now............!!!!

The problem I have with them Mark is how do you support them? Mine always straggle all over the place.I've tried using sticks and twine, but then they just look trussed up.

Hey Sueone
Yes i know what you mean............. I have the same problem!! I grew mine next to a fence, so i could tie them to the fence with gardening twine, that way they don't look trussed up!!!
Maybe if you grow something in front of them so you can't see the sticks and twine, maybe they wouldn't look so bad................ thats what i do anyway!!

Ballintleva, Ireland

Hi Mark
I have recently moved to Ireland where Crocrosmia grow "wild" ....along the roadside, thru the lawn...everywhere!
I would love it if you could identify the name of it.
I will attach photo

This message was edited Oct 27, 2006 7:11 PM

Thumbnail by WillowandSpike
Ballintleva, Ireland

Here's another....proof that it's "gone wild" !!!

Hi

Yep, easy one that.............................. common montbretia!!!! Or if yoy want the proper name crocosmia x crocosmiiflora!!!!
Grows everywhere if you let it..........................

Looks a lovely area where you live.........................

Have a look at my site............. there are some different kinds of crocosmia you may like........... http://www.simplesite.com/CROCOSMIA/

Mark

Ballintleva, Ireland

Thanks Mark

Your website is very informative and such beautiful pictures!
(although I can't believe your wish list is so long....hope everyone helps you find the species you are looking for!)

Give its requirements...I now understand why common crocosmia grows everywhere in Ireland!

Hiya

Thank you.................. there are some really beautiful crocosmia around, most people only ever hear of the ones like yours.....
Most of the ones on my wish list will probably never be seen again.............. they were all lost to cultivation when the dig for victory was on the go!!!!!

Yep it grows well in Ireland and also in cornwall.......................

what part of ireland are you from????????

Mark

Ballintleva, Ireland

We are living in County Mayo fairly near the coast - almost the furthest west that you can get in Ireland (we are technically in a different time zone - sun rises and sets an hour after you)

I was born in Cheshire - moved to London for 20 years "hard graft" in the city and decided to "downsize" here two years ago when I met my partner, who already had the cottage for the previous ten years (The slowest renovation in history)
Last year we completed renovations on the cottage, well enough to live in comfortably. We have two lovely dogs and I am learning slowly about plants. This year we re modelled the field next door to the house, installing a greenhouse, polytunnel and compost areas. In the summer we even grew our fist vegetables!
My friends now call us Barbara and Tom - from The Good Life! (Even though ...obviously we are not old enough to remember it!)

Strange crocosmia grows well in Cornwall - weather is so different there. I have to say that I have never experienced so much "damp" as in Ireland....on very damp days, water droplets just hang in the air - amazing to see when you haven't seen it before! No wonder Ireland is so green.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.