European Gardening: Crocosmia, 1 by WillowandSpike

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright WillowandSpike

In reply to: Crocosmia

Forum: European Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Crocosmia
WillowandSpike wrote:
We are living in County Mayo fairly near the coast - almost the furthest west that you can get in Ireland (we are technically in a different time zone - sun rises and sets an hour after you)

I was born in Cheshire - moved to London for 20 years "hard graft" in the city and decided to "downsize" here two years ago when I met my partner, who already had the cottage for the previous ten years (The slowest renovation in history)
Last year we completed renovations on the cottage, well enough to live in comfortably. We have two lovely dogs and I am learning slowly about plants. This year we re modelled the field next door to the house, installing a greenhouse, polytunnel and compost areas. In the summer we even grew our fist vegetables!
My friends now call us Barbara and Tom - from The Good Life! (Even though ...obviously we are not old enough to remember it!)

Strange crocosmia grows well in Cornwall - weather is so different there. I have to say that I have never experienced so much "damp" as in Ireland....on very damp days, water droplets just hang in the air - amazing to see when you haven't seen it before! No wonder Ireland is so green.