Winter Sowing Seed Swap

Salt Lake City, UT

I mailed my seeds out this morning. Let me know when you get them.
Thanks,
Utlucky

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

You are just jumping the gun, right? The seeds aren't due until November 30, right? I just want to be sure I'm not tardy.

North Augusta, SC(Zone 8a)

You can mail your seeds whenever you like just as long as they arrive by the end of November......want to beat all that holiday mail rush.
Alice

Salt Lake City, UT

"You are just jumping the gun, right?" I guess you could say that . I just cant stand the feeling of something looming, it feels like a giant weight on my head. I think it's some kind of disorder lol.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, my malady is at the other end of the spectrum! I'm a procrastinator of the worst order! I have eons of respect and awe for people like you who do things not just weeks but months in advance!

(Zone 7a)

But there are so many late blooming flowers that haven't ripened their seed yet - sounds like we're going to be swapping the whole spectrum from early to late bloomers - yea!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Happy, you're in good company - I tend to be a procrastinatore extraordinare (yes, I made that spelling mistake on purpose...LOL
I have, however, been working on it this year. I'm getting better, but your seeds and mine may come sliding in like a third base runner on a bunt about the same time o' the month!

Good way to look at it blue, always something positive!

~Sunny

Salt Lake City, UT

bluespiral keep in mind that I am a couple zones behind you. I have already had a couple light frosts, and most my bloomers are done. I doubt I will gather many more seeds.

(Zone 7a)

I can feel a new thread of Procrastinators' Anonymous coming on here - y'all have much to learn from me regarding How to Procrastinate. I don't know what's come over me - have been cleaning seed like mad for a couple of weeks now, so I realize I'm not giving the appearance of a True Procrastinator. However, the things I haven't been doing whilst fooling with seed amount to Procrastinating in the First Degree.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I knew I had found a happy home here!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I know what you mean. Fold laundry? Do the Dishes? Clean the bathroom? Prepare seeds and dream of a bountiful garden? The garden wins every time!

- Brent

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Happy, you'd better look out. I shucked off my procratinator award towards you - sent my seeds in yesterday. Yesssss! Erm, now to get up to speed with the rest of my trades...0_0

~Sunny, back to the J-O-B.

(newest 'sprout' in our family garden, my nephew!)

Thumbnail by Hineni

Good for you Hineni! ... guess I better get busy myself . That cutie is definitely a keeper, a gorgeous sprout of the best kind! ;0)

The seeds are starting to roll in! And some really great seeds, I think everyone will be happy with what they receive.
If you haven't noticed yet, I've been adding the date that I received everyone's seeds on the swap group list at the top of this thread. That way you'll know for certain that your seeds have made it here.
And that's just the most adorable baby, what's his name?
Alice

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh dear, the race is on! So much for gardening being a stress-free hobby!

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow Alice, that gets to you faster than interstate mail here in Georgia! My nephew there (first child in 14 years in our family) is Barrett Scott. He was born this past Friday night to my baby brother and his wife.

I think he's a cutie, but of course I'm highly prejudiced (grin). I'll get to see him at Thanksgiving!

~Sunny

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Alice: Thanks so much for listing whom you have received seeds from for this swap. That way we won't keep buggin' you & everyone will receive updates at the same time.

Hineni: Congratulations on your beautiful new nephew! I know your entire family must be very happy!

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

I did not want to be left too far behind so I dropped my seeds in the mail yesterday. Hmmm...nothing left to do but to sit around and wait for Dec 1st. Maybe I will have to join in on the other swap...not like I really need more seeds...but it is kind of addicting!

Hineni: The little one is cute, but I hope you did not include any seeds for those in your swap envelope. I think the three that I already have is enough for now. ;-)

- Brent

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

Hahahaha Brent - I have three also, but my youngest is 14. They are soooo tempting when they are so cute'n cuddly(verrry deceptive packaging the Creator uses eh?) If only they stayed small and sweet like that 0_0

Nope, no "li'l punkin seeds" sent. However, if anyone has seeds for a Labrador Retriever, I'll gladly take a few of those for DH!

I was thinking of joining the other swap too, but I think I'll stick to measuring and planning and soil prepping. My 'plant want' list has shrunk, but there are still a few things I'm hoping just might show up in a seed packet!

:D

~Sunny

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

I just joined DG and happened upon this thread. The seed swap sounds so cool - what a neat idea. I'll try to sign up for it next year.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

nkk, There is another one on the forum. See if it's still open, and welcome to DG!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/654795/

~Sunny

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks but I haven't any seeds to share right now anyway - new city, new house, new garden. Next year!

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

I still have seed ripening. I'll probably the last in being the furthest north. I'll see what I can do to hurry things upm

Beaker you are not alone... have flowers that only yield 4-5 seeds to my inexperienced and untrained eye. Separating chaff, well that's par for the course to have enjoy WS. :0)

Remember, there's no hurry, you have until 11/30 to get your seeds here. But, if everyone gets their seeds to me prior to that date, I will mail them back to you earlier.

The seeds are being sorted as they arrive to save myself from being buried by a mountain of seeds at the last minute. Everyone has their own little paper lunch bag with their member number on it, as listed in the first post, and when your seeds arrive I pull your bag out and then fill all the other bags with the seeds you sent for them...replacing your bag afterwards.

Does anyone need any (Echinacea purpurea) Purple Coneflower?
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/26/index.html
I know this is a very common flower that many people have in abundance, that's why I'm hesitant to add it to everyone's seed bags. If you do want some let me know and I'll throw some in yours.
Alice

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Me! Please and thank you !

Thank you Alice! I would love some as well. :0)

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

I have plenty already, but thanks for asking :o)

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

I'd be happy to have some Alice, thanks :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd love some Echinacea seed, if you still have enough to go around. I haven't had enough sun in the past for it to live, but I've cleared out a new area where it just might thrive. . . .

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got purple echinacea already, but thanks for the offer!

I figure I'll only include one or two packets of more common seeds (and I won't put in any purple echinacea now, LOL), but I'll try to put in more packets of seeds that I think are a little more unusual. With a little luck, maybe I can find more alpine strawberry seeds when I return next week... ;-)

Okay, I'll make a note to add the coneflower to:

3- claypa
7- happy_macomb
13- garden6
16- Hineni

Critter, I thought about you yesterday as I was planting my alpine strawberries in their new bed. They are so easy to grow from seed that I may have to WS some more this year.
Alice

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

:-) I've successfully WS'd alpine strawberries, and I've had good germination even from seeds I scraped from shriveled berries picked in January... they need a few weeks of cold stratification anyway, so WSing makes good sense with them. I sow them fairly thickly in a container and then clump-transplant them into 48 cell flats so they can grow good roots before being planted out... I've had berries the first year on plants grown this way.

I will definitely look in my alpine strawberry border for more seeds next week. The few that I have were picked hurridly as a rainstorm was developing, so I'm sure there are plenty of dried little berries that I missed... basically, my seeds come from any ripe berries that I didn't see and eat during the summer!

I wonder if anyone has seeds from the yellow alpine strawberries? I tried to grow some out last year from Pinetree, but they turned out to be red rather than yellow! Bummer. Of course, they still tasted fine!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Critter
I had never heard of them before, but I would love to try some of each of the alpine's I looked it up and there are the reds, yellows and whites, They say the yellow taste like pineapples, can't remember what they said about the white ones.... Oh well lol
I would love to get seeds of each of these.... When I get time I will do another search...

Who wants Cauliflower seeds?
Cegoins sent a pack that she couldn't use, can anyone else use them?
Alice

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

oh I was wondering if you got my seeds, glad they arrived, I don't do veggi garden, hope someone can use them... :o)

Connie

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Cauliflower? hmmm...I have never grown Cauliflower. I have one son that likes Cauliflower and one that likes Broccoli (though I can never remember which likes which). I would be willing to give Cauliflower a try.

- Brent

Brent,
They're yours.
Alice

Someone had to withdraw from the swap so we have an open spot if you know of anyone who'd like to join us?
Alice

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

You might want to post on Seed Swap #2.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.