Plant ID please

Can anyone tell me what this is? It was quite small when I got it and has gone crazy growing. I don't have a clue what it is.
Thanks!

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Here's a closer picture of the foliage.

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi Amy, could it be in the tradescantia family?

I don't have a clue, Lali. Ya think? If so, I would love to trade it to somebody for something else. I'm from one of those weird families that thinks a tradescantia is bad luck, and my mother will never come to my house again if she sees it! LOL Any takers?

really? What is the bad luck story? I've never heard that before.

After much investigation, all I can come up with is that a "Wandering Jew" is a tradescantia and the
"Wandering Jew" story is evidently from Christian folklore (I had to look all this up - it's not like I really knew that! LOL I've never asked WHY it's supposed to be bad luck.) Here's the Wikipedia article about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew Anyway, I guess it has something to do with that story. Somewhere else I read that traders would carry it along the spice routes to ward off thieves and criminals, which would certainly have been good luck! So, who knows?
Look at what I learned, in addition to what the plant might be! LOL

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I'll take a shot at the ID- Callisia Fragrans?

GH

Well I'll be! Never knew why they were called WJ but I think the current politically correct term is 'Inch Vine' or
'Inch Plant', I just call them all Trads, the callisias, the rhoeos, the trads, and all their related kin.

thanks for the education! Wiki is pretty nifty!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.