Dumb Question on Fountain Grass

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

I have a nice big clump of fountain grass, & I would like to collect some seeds. Right now, the fronds have some tiny, oblong brown flecks that easily fall off. Are these the seeds? Or, are the seeds what remains on the fronds? I don't know if the flecks are what is left of the pollination process. I grew this clump from seed a couple of years ago, but I don't recall what they looked like - just that they were small.
Can someone offer me some insight?
Thanks!
Julie

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Most ornamental grasses I'm familiar with (mainly our natives) have an extremely small seed at the end of very fine strands that resemble hairs about an inch long. I plant the seed with the hair-like thingy attached and have excellent germination rates. This applies to the muhly's and Mexican feathergrass anyway. Other grasses, like inland sea oats, have a more obvious seed structure. Hope this makes sense and helps a bit.
Debbie

Guilford, CT(Zone 7a)

Yes - I am leaning towards the idea of the whole "feather" being comprised of individual seeds... Seeds usually have a period of time where they must mature - they grow, turn color & are then viable. Perhaps it is just too obvious with the Fountain grass? Those tiny brown flecks had me thinking though - I really want to try & grow them from seed next year.
My "Love Grass" has the tiny seeds on the ends of the fine hairs... MUCH easier to identify the seeds :)
Thank you for your help - I appreciate your input!
Julie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.