Philodendronaholic!

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, you guessed it. I just got another new philodendron. It has really become an addiction and I just love it. I know you all know what I mean. This one is called Autumn. And she is a beauty.

Jesse

Thumbnail by Plantcrazii
Feasterville Trevose, PA(Zone 6b)

Very large and beautiful plant Jesse!

I purchased one this july, it is only about half the size as yours. Where did you get yours?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I got mine from Home Depot. They just got a shipment in today and they only had two like this one and a few Moonlights. I was shocked to see them when I walked into the garden area. I grabbed this one really quick so no one else could get it. :)

Jesse

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

She is a beauty! Reminds me of Autumn too, with those beautiful colors!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Sure do know what you mean, Jesse! I bought two today, myself. Philodendron Squamiferum 'Red Bristle' and Philodendron Erubescens 'Red Emerald'. How exquisite they are. I'm so in love with Philodendrons.:) There is actually another one at my local nursery named 'Bloody Mary' that I have passed up for a year now. It just doesn't do much for me. It's a plain jane, so to speak. Who knows, I'll probably end up getting that one too before it's all said and done.

You have a nice 'Autumn', Jesse. The pot is really cute as well. I find the leaves of the 'Autumn' are more narrow than the 'Prince of Orange' and 'Moonlight' hybrids. It hasn't grown as robustly as the POO or ML, for me.

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Growhappy,

I love the pots also but was wondering if they are deep enough for these philodendrons. I was doing some reading on the net and found out that these types of philodendrons are called self-heading philodendrons and do not grow on a vine. So, are these little pots big enough for them? What do you think?

I saw a photo of the Black Cardinal philodendron and it is so cool looking. I will be on the look out for one of those.

Jesse

Northern California, CA(Zone 9a)

Jesse, perhaps you can post the pot question over in the new Aroid forum. Lots of philo savvy folks over there!!
Autumn is a beauty!!

Feasterville Trevose, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Jesse,

I have a self heading Philo called 'hope'.

I re-potted it as soon as I got it into a pot thet was slightly over one-third deeper and twice as wide as the one it was in.
In one month it was almost potbound and I re-potted it again into a pot that was twice as deep as the second pot.

I guess that it depends on how vigorous a grower it is in my case.

I also have the 'autumn' variety and it is planted in a pot that seems to be twice as deep as yours, it is also a smaller plant than yours. I see no signs that it will outgrow the pot until the spring. I may have it in a pot that is actually too deep, considering the size of the plant.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Jesse, I grow all of my self-heading Philos in normal size pots. I have problems finding "deep" pots. The one you have it in is very cute, but I think I would switch it to a deeper one. I don't think you should do it now because Fall is almost here. It's not going to grow much during the Winter, so you shouldn't be in any danger of having it fall over or anything.

GH

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Actually, the one I'm most worried about is Moonlight. It is way bigger than the pot, a little bit bigger than Autumn. I think I need to repot it and maybe Autumn, but my Prince of Orange is in the same kind of pot but much smaller so I think it will be fine for now. I had never heard of self-heading philos until recently. I really do like them and think they are really pretty.

Jesse

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

Nice Philo, I can never find philo (except the common ones) locally. I did find a POO last fall, nothing else. Philos are addictive, thats for sure, I have about 20 in my bay window in my kitchen, I have not seen the "Red Emerald" had a red bristle cutting however I never managed to get it rooted.

I would diffently put it in a deeper pot. Good luck with your philos.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

What does self-heading mean. I looked it up in garden terms and came up with 0.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Nice find, Jesse!

Self-heading means, for the most part....it grows upright rather than 'vining', 2pugdogs.

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks Nan

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I'm looking for a pot for my 'Moonlight' too. I found the perfect one (color wise) but it was too small. My 'Prince of Orange' is in a big pot and I'VE GOT A BABY!!!!!

Black Cardinal is on my 'want' list but geez, I'm so out of room. Oh well, I can always get rid of the sofa..........

What is the name of the self-heading philodendron that looks neon? That's the one I found in Wal-Mart yesterday for $3.00.

Susan

Sanford, FL

Hi folks, I've grown Aroids for over 30 yrs, with much trial and error in the beginning. I still consider myself a student of plants and horticulture, there's always something fascinating
to learn. I would be careful in repotting to larger pots at this time of year, roots can rot easily when the plant's growth is slowing for the winter, and the roots are suddenly in soil that stays wetter than before. It could safely be done if the pot is only slightly larger,
and with careful watering. But my advice is to wait until spring. Many species Philos in the wild live with their roots in nothing but a little leaf litter in a small depression or fork of
branches in trees. Some Philos of the rain forest start out on the ground and climb into a tree, and for one reason or another lose the base rooted in the ground. This causes no problem, as they have aerial roots into leaf litter in the tree by then, and high humidity and rains provide plenty of moisture. So my point is, Philos are well adapted to having their roots in small spaces, providing there's enough moisture.

I have 'Red Emerald' plants or tip cuttings for postage for anyone interested in this beautiful Philodendron. This is a very old hybrid that has maintained its popularity over decades because it's easy to grow, quite pretty, and fast growing. I recently put several plants at the base of a 4x4 shadehouse support at my parents house, and they have climbed about 7 ft now, with leaves twice as long as those on non-climbing plants. Leaf shape changed from about twice as long as it is wide, to much longer and proportionally more narrow. Changes in leaf shape and size are typical of Philos and Monsteras once they begin climbing. It's thought that special chemicals within the plants initiated by the roots striking and rooting to wood or other surfaces cause these changes.

Contact me at my address below for plants or cuts of 'Red Emerald' for postage.

Russ
central Florida
chammer@cfl.rr.com

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi Russ! (Ü)

Hey friends....Russ' advice is always 'spot on'.

Susan....I think the Philo you're referring to is likely 'Moonlight'.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi Russ!!!!

I agree 100% with Nan's comment about Russ' advice. I learned a few things from him last year!

GH

Tacoma, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey, I got this one from Lowe's off of the "rescue me" rack. Would you say this was "Autumn?"

Thumbnail by Peasblossom
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is 'Autumn'. Nice score!

GH

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

You got a great deal on that and it is a nice looking plant too. Way to go.

Jesse

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.