Decorative Bamboo

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Alrighty folks...you know the kind that they have everywhere...sits in a little dish w/pebbles and water. I had a patient bring me in some with a regular pot. She had a very good question...why can't these bamboo be put into regular potting soil? It grows naturally in dirt. I didn't have an answer for her but told her I knew you all would. So....any thoughts?

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I assume you're talking about this:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/38172/index.html

This WILL grow in soil. I have some that've been in soil for 3 years (and some just in water for 3 years). ; ) I was just kinda curious what would happen. The "soil" group has a darker green cane, but the leaves have grown hideously large. The "water" group looks pretty much the same as when it was purchased.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ah CJ - perfect, yepper those are them!! Sounds to me like they're happier in soil...so soil it will be today...thanks so much!!

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

I have one of these too, and it's been in water since I purchased it earlier this year. A friend had asked me this same question, can it grow in soil. If I were to transfer mine to soil, what type of soild is best for this one? Can I just take it out of the water and put it in soil immediately, or should I let it "rest" first?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Candace,
Know first I've not put these in soil yet...but personally I'd treat it like any cutting that I rooted. I'm going to plop it into some regular soil that I'd use for tropicals...wait a few days and then put on a window sill w/o direct light.

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Chantell. I might try that too. My plant seems happy enough now, but if soil will make it happier, then I'll go for it! LOL

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I would like to emphasize that the soil group had hideously (UGLY) large leaves. I much prefer the look of the ones in water.

Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

cjolene - do you happen to have a photo of the "ugly" leaf version?

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Water

Thumbnail by cjolene
Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Dirt

Thumbnail by cjolene
Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

I actually forgot to water both for a few weeks just this year- thus the leaves on the dirt one.

Oak Hill, OH(Zone 6a)

That bamboo might not be too bad is you had a bunch of big ones in a clump outside. If it's a clumper - might be a runner then YOU'D have to run!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

cj - thanks for posting those pics!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.