are we ready? September bingo !!

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Loving this middle of the night Bingo call!! lol
And whoo hoo!! I've got it!! ; )

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

well,goodmorning all
i got 5 out of 10

Drumheller, Alberta, Canada(Zone 3a)

starfly - you are doing better than I. I only have 3!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

3. tiny mini Sinningia pusilla
ummm, well, you can just take a look at RainGazer's thread! http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/650211/

by the way, the foliage on this one is just a tad smaller than S. sp. 'Rio das Pedras'. (Rio does, on the other hand, have lovely markings in its leaves......)

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

Ccino42
win are lose,still haveing fun just seeing what thoese plants look like. strange names, none again today

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

18. those are flowers? Aeshynanthus longicaulis

of course, I spelled it wrong..... should be Aeschynanthus.

Mine is in bloom now, a few months earlier than usual. I think this is because I turned the lights down and the temp (AC cranking) while I took two trips recently - must have been cold enough to be "winter".

I've been told that the one I have is probably the "Kew" clone, but I'm not sure. Maybe one day I'll take it to a society meeting and ask... heh.

Typical of the genus are the fused petals, the protruding stamen, the odd colored pollen.....

more of my photos of longicaulis here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ki/sets/1501815/

more photos of other aeschynanthsu here: http://www.gesneriads.ca/genaesch.htm

more info on the genus here: http://www.botanik.univie.ac.at/morphology/genera_gesneriaceae/genera/aeschynanthus.htm

Thumbnail by Keyring
Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

lol I only have 3, also! I'm a little confused...I see starfly posted 5 out of 10...were we supposed to pick 10 or 15 plants?

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

I think (I hope) that by "10", starfly meant the 10 called so far. (We're now at 12 down...)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Maybe she was referring to getting 5 out of the 10 called at that point? We've had 12 calls now, and I have 4 of them on my card, including the precious Sinningia pusilla!

I love all the photos and links and information in this thread!!

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Me too...

Joanne

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh...okay! Didn't think of that! Thanks! I'm loving reading this info about the plants and seeing their pictures, too! This is awesome, Keyring, and no one's even won, yet! ; )

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

cjolene
yes thats what i meant at that time you had called 10,now i have 6 now, 6 out of 12, and haveing a good time reading

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

4. the real deal Sinningia speciosa

As we've discussed here a few times, what we commonly see as Florist's Gloxinia is not really a Gloxinia (which is a separate genus within the Gesneriad family), but a highly hybridized form of a peloric Sinningia speciosa. The natural form of S. speciosa has slipper shaped flowers. The peloric form is "peloric" because all the petals think they are the lip (the lip being the bottom bigger petal in the slipper form).

I only recently decided to try growing some of the natural forms, and I *still* don't have flowers.... but I've decided that the leaves on one of the forms (Regina) has gorgeous leaves with silver veins.

You can see a few forms of speciosa on this page (see the links in the text): http://www.gesneriads.ca/sinni209.htm

And here are the Sinnigia links again:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sinnvenner/sinns.htm
http://www.botanik.univie.ac.at/morphology/genera_gesneriaceae/genera/sinningia.htm

Very pretty flower!
I only have 4 on my card so far but this has been really interesting...
Thanks for all the info!! Wonderful Job!
Dawna

You'd better hurry up and get more calls, Dawna! I'm looking to win that fewest calls prize and I've got five already, so you're beating me! LOL
Loving all this information and education, Keyring! Thanks so much!

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Haa...I must be low man on this totem pole!! I only have 3 picks so far...still. Oh well, I, like the rest of you, have enjoyed this format and reading about all these lovely unusual plants. Thanks for the fun Keyring!

Don Ü

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Morning Don!

What is your weather like this rainy cool morning? We started with the rain yesterday and of course when it rains the Satellite won't work and they had that terrible shooting at the Dawson College in Montreal so we couldn't watch no TV all day.

Still rainy and cool here this morning, supposed to be like this for another day or two.

Oh and I got word my new lightstand has been shipped from Floralight so I can hardly wait but I don't think it will be here much before maybe Tuesday of next week. The manufacturer was paying the shipping and so he sent it economy of course! Oh well I will just be patient.

Have a super day everyone!

Joanne

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Hi Joanne,

Yes, we have rain this morning and cool and cloud. Temperature here this morning is 10C with our high only going to 16C. Kind of refreshing though, as it is the only significant precipitation we have had in nearly two months, so it's a welcome change from the heat. Supposed to be clearing tomorrow with sun and with weekend temps in the low to mid 20's, but next week back up to about 27C. Definately starting to cool down, but nice autumn weather, I think. I have already started the process of clearing the garden of annuals and spent plants. The veggie garden looks a little bleak right now with only carrots, onions, tomatos and corn left. The good news, of course, is that my Streps and and most of my AV's are in bloom which makes it happy and cheery inside! Ü

Good for you to be getting your lightstand. Yes, patience is the word; it'll arrive eventually. Then the fun begins!

Have a good day, and try to stay dry!

Don

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

12. elegant and well-behaved Episcia Silver Dust
this is probably still my favorite episica. It has a very neat growth habit and needs little light.... so it grows quite flat. Yes, it's a bit "subtle", but still... my favorite, I think. It seems to do pretty well with cool and dry as well, even though the general rule of thumb for this genus is warm and humid.

The pic I have isn't the best - I've grown it nicer than this ;-)

As with any other Episicia, it propagates very easily. growtheworld.blogspot.com/2006/07/propagating-episcias-from-cuttings.html

Info on the genus: http://www.botanik.univie.ac.at/morphology/genera_gesneriaceae/genera/episcia.htm

Thumbnail by Keyring
Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Hi Keyring...

I have this one and I almost killed it for lack of water...your picture looks really nice I think. I love this one for the compactness of its growth.

Have you ever seen Christmas Cheer...it is a mini and so cute...you would just love it.

TFS!

Joanne

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woohoo, I got 'em both today!

By "needs little light" do you mean even a north-facing window would do for E. 'Silver Dust'? My living room is generally a bit cooler than the rest of the house...

I can see I will have to set a strict budget for myself if I make it to Saturday's show & sale... Since we'll be going out of town for a couple of weeks soon after the sale, I'm hoping I can put new plants/cuttings under a humidity dome to keep them happy, maybe get out my tabletop greenhouse, and then I won't have to worry about watering them while I'm away.... Either that, or I'll have to bribe Snowrose with truffles to send my new plants home with her for a bit!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

the dome should do it. Just watch out for anything that's been grown wicked - they may be potted in such porous mix that they'll need the wick, even for a period as short as 2 weeks.

for Silver Dust, I think a northfacing window would be fine for several months at a time, but it might need a little love every now and then.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK! Anything with a wick can go on the gravel tray in the upstairs bathroom... that seems to take nearly two weeks to go dry... I could also repot in the 50/50 perlite mix plus a bit of moisture crystals that my AVs and episcias seem to be enjoying... ?

Sounds like I should make a nice pot for the living room with Silver Dust as a "groundcover" and just move it to the south-facing dining room for a while every so often.... it'll be fun to come up with a planting combo once I have one!

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Where is Snowrose? I haven't seen her post lately either....come out, come out, wherever you are girl!

Miss ya,

Joanne

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

7. heat-loving Episcia Strawberry Patch
whoa. two episcias in a row.

This is probably my most heat-loving, light-loving episcia. It seems to spread all over the place - in the balcony window boxes, in a 10" hanging basket, all over the flats, in my office window...... More light, heat and humidity really brings out the color. It's a relatively big grower (though not as much as some other episcias).

Thumbnail by Keyring
Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Wow is that ever a beautiful E! I have a small one but mine doesn't look anything like that one! How long have you had it?

It almost takes your breath away!

TFS!

Joanne

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

I probably got it about 2 years ago.

The one in my office window is under the air conditioning vents and is a rather dull reddishc pink. The ones in the photo above are actually rooted cuttings that were on the top shelf where it's hot and quite close (about 5" or 13 cm) to 4 tubes of T8 fluorescent tubes.

Drumheller, AB(Zone 2a)

Wow! It sure is goreous! The T8's are brighter burning aren't they? When I get my new stand if I have enough room I would like to put mine under lights too.

Gosh I would be so proud to own that one! I have one similar to that but don't have a clue as to what its name is but no where near as pretty as yours.

Joanne

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Yahoo, finally got another one. And it's a beauty!

Don Ü

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

1. dark grey Kohleria Silver Feather

This is a hybrid by John Boggan (he's in the DC area and co-author of a recent article in Selbyana re-classifying some gessies). He was looking for dark patterned leaves and a compact growth habit. He got both. It's a beauty that looks just stunning in person. From what I gather, John is a very discriminating hybridizer who only releases the very best. I've seen him.

My plant is still very little.....

Thumbnail by Keyring
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Woo Hoo...another one. I am up to 5 picks now. Slow...but sure!

Don Ü

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Can somebody tell me how this bingo is played?

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

how to play?
well, you first have to sign up when a new round is announced. The announcement for the September bingo was here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/645961/
In fact, there is frequently another thread before the official announcement that goes something like: "When is the next bingo?"
I think there is another one planned for October, so stay on the lookout for it towards the end of this month.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

THANKS!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

17. shhh! not a gessie Macodes petola

yeah, it's an orchid.....
A terrestrial orchid, it likes medium light and humidity... It doesn't need whopping high humidity, but a dry room wouldn't work too well. Amazing irridescent markings on the leaves.... but the flowers aren't anything to talk about....

Thumbnail by Keyring
Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Speeding right along now...with 6!!!! Such gorgeous foliage!

Don Ü

I have 6 as well....so the race is on!!
I love the Macodes leaves! Very stunning!
Dawna

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

33. even danglier Nematanthus corticola
You may have seen this one recently in Logee's catalog. It's a Nematanthus (that's the genus with the guppy plant) with dangling flowers. Quite stunning.

If I had a greenhouse, I would have a collection of these dangling flowers....

Considering that this is the same genus as the guppy plant, it's pretty diverse in terms of flower shape.

photo: http://www.gesneriads.ca/nemata16.htm
more on the genus Nematanthus: http://www.botanik.univie.ac.at/morphology/genera_gesneriaceae/genera/nematanthus.htm
more photos from brazil (where they are native): http://mpeixoto.sites.uol.com.br/gesneriads/nematanthus/fotonematanthus-1.html (they really are epiphytic!)

Very cool danglies! But not on my card :(

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

11. mini silver Episcia Silver Skies

a mini episcia with lovely silver leaves. Mine comes from MsC :-)

I keep mine in an enclosure through the winter, as it seems to be a bit sensitive to very dry air. Right now, I have it both in a terrarium and out on the plant shelf. Oh, and another in the office windowsill.

It grows densely and vigorously, so it's possible to make a topiary with it.
Here's one grown using a trellis type structure: http://www.gesneriads.ca/episci10.htm

Thumbnail by Keyring

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.