Man facing charges for injuring vegetation

Hey, I'm looking at that photo and it's kinda hard to tell but is that you (4paws) in the bottom row second from the left?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

How long would it take for the wire to work its magic?

I'm due for another read of THE MONKEYWRENCH GANG....
Hayduke was my hero.

That was another mighty fine read! Makes the $15 we spend a year here worth every penny!

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Probably longer than we all have..........

Like this guy?

Thumbnail by terryr
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

He looks happy...

Nah...it's not me...I only wear dresses and skirts. Gotta hide those handy helpers, you know!

This message was edited Sep 11, 2006 6:47 PM

No, more like the monkey wrench from here-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I looked up the mimosa tree to see what it looks like and I think it's a very pretty tree. It wouldn't grow here in my zone 5 but I can see why Guy would like to have a couple of them.

I guess I shouldn't plant any more seeds or trees till I find out what I'm doing. I might be contributing to the invasive bad vegetation. Just about a month ago my husband and I drove through the woods planting hundreds of acorns my brother in law gave us. I had forgotten about them and they had germinated in the garage and were about 8 inches tall already. After a while we got tired of planting them so we just pitched the rest of the acorns around. Am I going to be sorry we did that?

Oh........pass the Good and Plenty..........my favorite. Haven't had it since I was about 5. Glad everyone is having such a good time.

Here ya go, enjoy!

Thumbnail by terryr

Here ya go Loon, welcome back!

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you've seen forests of them, they're not quite so attractive anymore. Mimosa here, a tree of heaven there, a paulownia behind, bradford pear over there, and on and on it goes. I'm not a fan of mimosa, never have been.

It's a very good idea to research what you plant before you plant it. Do you by chance know what the acorns came from? Which oak?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Mmmm...good 'n plenties.

You have to try these....but don't smile when you're eating them.

Thumbnail by 4paws

Haven't had the pleasure of ever trying those. Are you insinuating that if you have a few you'll look as if you have black mold growing on your teeth?

Would we look something like this??

lol.......I hit the wrong key..........

Thumbnail by terryr
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

This is the Monkey Wrench...

Thumbnail by 4paws
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yep, black mold like stuff...yum

Ah, ya mean not this??

Thumbnail by terryr

Those look good! I'm gonna have to try them.

Here's a funny.........

Thumbnail by terryr
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

No, I don't know which oak they came from. My brother in law scooped up about a billion of them in a bag and brought them over to me. I soaked them in a tub of water and then put them in a garbage bag and forgot about them till I noticed them growing up out of the bag. I was kind of impressed that they grew so easily with total neglect. They had been inside the garage all summer.

How many kinds of oaks are there? Are any of them bad oaks? Too late now I guess since they're either planted or tossed around in my woods. I like oaks.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Lots of people around here don't like tan oaks, and they're native.

What's a tan oak? I just went to Guy's for an Oak something or other and there's about a bazillion different oaks. I'll let Equil answer the question as she knows them a lot better.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I wanted to plant a lot of them for food for the squirrels and deer. I think they take a long long time before they make acorns though. I'm trying to get a mixture of trees planted to replace my ash trees with when the borers finally get them someday. I have mostly ash trees in my woods.

Last year I planted a lot of black walnut trees too. Again, for food for the wildlife so they have food someday. Someone on freecycle gave me a bunch of seedlings.

Say Loon, Chances are pretty darn good you're A-Ok and you've got a native species of Oak or a naturally occurring hybrid. ! I wouldn't worry about those oaks that germinated from your brother in law. They'll be a wonderful addition to your property.

There are over 600 species of oaks. The oak that you would definitely want to steer clear of would be the Sawtooth Oak (Quercus acutissima). Most of the others around here are pretty darn safe. Oaks are an awesome tree to plant.

Oaks don't fruit for around 50 years. At least most around here don't.

Loon, a while ago I mentioned to you to take a peek at American Hazelnuts (Corylus americana). Those bear fruit in a very short period of time, maybe 6 years or so. That's one you might really like to have. Because of the size of the nut, small mammals and birds like them.

You've got a lot of property there. If you can, keep your Black Walnuts together and don't spread them out. Those are another species that don't fruit for a long time but they are definitely a magnificent tree.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Tanbark oak...I think. http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/394.htm

I'm not sure why some don't like it.

Nice plant for your neck of the woods but not for Loon.

It's not a true oak anyway.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

So I've just learned...
:-)

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I did plant 5 hazlenut trees this spring. I don't know if they were american or not. I got them from the conservation society tree plant sale. They were very little sticks compared to the other trees I bought. I put orange ribbons on all the trees I planted so I could keep an eye on them. The hazlenuts don't look too good. I think the deer chewed on them even though I sprayed them with liquid fence. I hope they come back next spring. Maybe I will buy more and put tomato cages around them with chicken wire over it. Darn deer. I love them and get mad at them at the same time. :)

I asked my brother in law how long his oak took to make acorns and he swears less than 30 years but his memory isn't so good any more. I'll be gone but some future squirrels and animals will like the nuts someday I hope.

In one of the handouts I got from Guys, it talks about oaks taking 30 years to make the acorn, so I'd say your BIL's memory isn't too far off.

Quoting:
I'll be gone but some future squirrels and animals will like the nuts someday I hope.
I'll be gone too but I still plant them myself for many of the same reasons as you. More so for our children, yours and mine. They're the ones we pass the torch to when they inherit the lands.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

If only everyone planned for the future that way, or thought beyond their own immediate pleasures and needs, even gave just a small fraction of thought for the future....

Thirty years isn't all that long.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Oaks don't fruit for around 50 years

Quoting:
asked my brother in law how long his oak took to make acorns and he swears less than 30 years

I've seen acorns on a c.8 year old English Oak (Quercus robur), less than a metre tall. Acorn production is regular on open-grown oaks 15-20 years old in good crop years.

Resin

(Zone 6b)

I've grown many Oaks from acorn and had some produce acorns of their own within 3 or 4 years of planting! I've had Bur Oak produce acorns within 6 or 7 years of growing from acorn, English Oak within 5 or 6 years, Chiquapin Oak within 5 years, Shumard Oak within about 7 years, Northern Red Oak within 5 years and Swamp White Oak within 6 years. So, many Oaks produce acorns in a relatively short amount of time, especially when given some extra care, like watering during drought and elimination of any weed competition within their root zones.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Our local Pizza Hut has live oaks planted around their drive thru. I was waiting on my pizza one day and looked out my window and saw these trees less than 15 feet tall loaded with acorns. The trees were planted about 5 yrs ago when the place was built.

On the other hand I have water oaks in my yard that are over a foot in diameter that have not produced any acorns yet.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2006 5:27 PM

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Are there male and female oaks? Maybe just the girls have acorns??

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

"Are there male and female oaks?"

No, they're monoecious (male and female flowers on the same tree)

Resin

I've got quite a few Swamp Oaks and Shagbark Hickory around here. Some Northern Pin Oaks and a few really spectacular Bur Oaks that seem ancient. I've got an assortment of baby oaks that I planted. I just read on line where it says some Bur Oaks will fruit at 10 years. I found other sources that stated a lot of oaks fruited at 20 years. What is the deal around here where I live with the Oaks? I've got some that I think are at least 30-40 years old and they aren't fruiting. Am I misjudging the age of the Oaks around here like I did on the one Bur Oak that I thought was around 200 years old that was probably more like 100 years old? Come to think of it, I don't think any of my Hickories are fruiting around here for what seems to be an eternity too.

I also read something else interesting, some Bur Oaks will fruit to 400 years. Pretty wild. I happen to like Oaks because they are touted as being the most important wildlife food on this continent.

(Zone 6b)

Growing conditions can certainly affect how long it takes some Oaks to set acorns. Genetics also plays a role of course, but I believe growing conditions can make a bigger impact. Many Oaks growing in the wild without any irrigation, competition from weeds and other trees, etc. and most likely some level of deer or other animal damage at some time can take 20-30 years to produce acorns. That same tree planted in a cultivated landscape, receiving protection from animal damage, competition from other plants and some irrigation during droughts can produce acorns in probably as little as 10 years or so. My experience in planting Oaks in semi-wild areas, that is areas which get some minimal extra care but otherwise are wild, is that most Oaks will produce acorns within 10-15 years. While Oaks planted in highly cultivated areas will produce acorns within 6-9 years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.