Man facing charges for injuring vegetation

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Sweetie, your addition fell flat looong before you did the final total! No way do you get any points at all for that drivel. And I couldn't hear what you were saying because of the background sounds of "Ooooh"s and "Ahhhh"s from the trees admiring fans! Hee-hee-hee!!!

If you want to tell them something, then tell them what Weeds and I (yes, he helped) did for the state nursery program. Keep your priorities straight.

Aaarrrggghhhhh!

Guy S.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

There ya go again.....liar! You are such a liar. You're going to burn you-know-where. They were in shock because of all people, you had a mimosa tree. Ooooh's and Ahhh's my fanny. I never once heard you tell those people that it's not an invasive here so go ahead, plant away. Oh no, you told them it was an invasive. Get your story right, Goey, get it right.

You did what for the state nursery program? I was where? I was not there yet, in the bathroom, or 500 ft behind you?

And BTW, what was with everybody scrambling and picking up all the pawpaw fruit and not giving everybody a chance at any?? I would of liked one too, ya know. Good grief, you'd of thought it was gold. Hoarders.

Oh it's getting thick here. Last I heard our nurseries were going belly up and any plant material distributed last year was it. I reeeeeeeeeeeealy want to hear more about adaptive regions. I've been waiting ever so patiently to read about Mimosa and adaptive regions.

Did anyone notice the views on this thread? Holy moly great balls of fire. Everybody loves a train wreck!

Not my image but since so many people are checking in to read this thread, I think it's only fitting that we start making some popcorn to pass around!

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Equil, they're all waiting for you and I to put on the gloves! Ain't gonna happen folks, sorry! Equil and I are actually very close on all of this, despite our banter.

And yes, Terry, I was telling the group it can be invasive, and always to think about such issues in general. I try not to miss opportunities to do that. You also probably heard me tell them about habitat effects, climate effects, monitoring, the different levels and methods of invasiveness, etc. This tree has not been able to recruit successfully here. Unless it starts doing so in our changing climate, it stays. If it does begin to spread, out it goes. Like some of you here, I watch such things closely, and many other people don't -- so I try to suggest that they plant something else that they can ignore safely.

The state nursery program, like every one in all the other states that had one, was growing literally millions of invasive exotics like autumn olive, Amur honeysuckle, and multiflora rose each year for wildlife and buffer plantings statewide. Weeds and I and about two other people (John S. and Bill M.) succeeded in the 1980s in having the system converted to all natives, and adding prairie species. We were the first in the US to do so, and remain one of the few that have done so.

Guy S.

Umm, I don't add anything to my property that is a known invasive. I gotta part ways with you on these highly invasive species that you've got growing as specimens. We love you but you're being a very bad boy Goey!

That one tree of yours has the motherload of seed on it. You might be able to monitor your land, but you couldn't possibly monitor the land of your neighbors.

Albizia is salt and drought tolerant and can thrive in a wide range of soil types. It's got a decent sized seed on it so we know it's ram packed with nutrients to better ensure the seedling gets off to a good start. Most seedlings will germinate around the bases of their mommas where they have to compete for light and nutrients hence it becomes very important to get some of those seedlings as far away from momma as is possible to perpetuate the species so along comes a nice gust of Ma Nature's finest. 30-40 mph wind are most certainly not uncommon around here and kerplunk... babies land a couple hundred yards across the road in your neighbor's land. One tornado coming through where you live while that tree is in seed and it could end up 100 miles south of you in a heartbeat. We have seen what the hurricanes moved north and many of those plants that people claimed could barely set seed due to the tropical environment in which they were originally growing are settling in all too well in their new soil. Micro-climates? Global warming? Who knows for sure why plants like Mimosa are thriving in Chicago but they are and we have learned that often times our best intentions to monitor a plant and keep it in check have often failed us. I don’t think anyone goes out there and says, “Today I will plant something that will disperse seed that will make its way into a natural area a mile away from me”. Yet this is exactly what is happening out there.

Your thriving zone 5b baby looks anything but tender there. If 8' of growth is representative of a tender sapling I'd hate like hell to see what kind of growth it would have if it wasn't tender.

Cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut Doooooooooooooooooown the Mimosas!

Guy, you talk so fast when in front of a crowd that if anyone heard any of that, I'd be very surprised. I didn't hear it. I did hear you laughing about me being aghast at having not just one mimosa but two. And laughing while you were telling me to get a picture for Equil of the new growth. This whole branch is all new growth, you exclaimed proudly. I also believe it was another woman, after me calling you liar over and over again, that asked what I was talking about and what was wrong with the tree before you went into that it's an invasive. It hasn't been able to recruit successfully, because you've pulled up how many seedlings? Tell the truth now.

Oh oh oh, Terry...
I'm passing you some popcorn. I think we're gonna be coming to a good part.

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Oh why thank you! I love popcorn, but you also have have some of these. Guy's got more excuses for growing invasives than Carter's got pills.

Thumbnail by terryr

Hi here hon, have some Jujubes with me.

Yaaa... I've heard a few rationalizations myself. Have you heard this one yet- "it's for educational purposes"???

Gosh, I'm getting thirsty!

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Mmmm....Jujubes, yummy...yep, I heard that one, but it's also to study. You're thirsty? I've got just the thing I know you love.......

Thumbnail by terryr
Collingswood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hey X-team mates, I'm watching. This ought to be good.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

The more the merrier! So what do you like to drink while waiting around for the show to begin?

Hey Terry, selfish me! Here I am having a nice cold one on you waiting for the show to begin without reciprocating. Here's your unleaded version that I know you love....

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

I hopped in hoping more of the X-team would stop in. Where's 4paws, PrairieGirlZ5, Loon? Just wanted to give you two moral support and show a united X-front. I'm an iced tea fan.

Thumbnail by Fireweed87
Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Now you "x" teamers are going to wet you pants....

All right! The more the merrier! I've got something for everyone! Have you noticed the number of views on this thread?? Good grief, let's x team member have our food and drink and wait for the "abomination" father to get back here and see what he says to defend himself.....Oh Goey, come out, come out where ever you are...........

Thumbnail by terryr

Defend... did you say defend or was that a typo and you meant depend?

Gosh, didn't think of that. Thank you Patrick.

Here Terry is busy passing out popcorn to everyone while what we really need is-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium
Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Guy, do you remove the seed pods from your trees? Birds sometimes do fly off with the seeds and may drop them 5 miles away and Mimosa seeds are reported to be viable for up to 50 years. If you're gonna be looking for seedlings for the next 50 years then you must be planning on living a long long time. Sorry, I thought I might make a little joke.

Equilibrium & Terryr, would it be enough if Guy tossed his seed pods in the trash?

Toronto, ON(Zone 6b)

Guy, I wrote to you a couple of weeks ago about Magnolia tripetala and Magnolia magrophylla seed.... On the 29th of August my uncle was offering some of his mimosa seed ( in the south of France). I had brought him pawpaw, Kentucky coffeebean, and Magnolia virginiana seedlings over the years. If I knew that mimosa would survive in zone 5b I would have welcomed the seeds. I will be looking for seeds..... I plant many, many threatened and endangered natives, so I think that I have earned some indulgences (in the R.C. sense). Robb.

Welcome, plenty of food and drink for everyone!

Weeeeeee're waaaaaaaaaaaaiting......................

Thumbnail by terryr

For the record, Equil's the one wearing the red t-shirt.....

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have an endless supply of seeds, but I don't think I could live with the guilt of helping the spreading of this tree. The ones I pick up I put in trash bags to throw away.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2006 7:55 PM

I am not the one wearing the red t-shirt!

Stuff this in your mouth Terry-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

You are too!

Stuff this in your mouth Equil-

Thumbnail by terryr

Am not!

Stuff these up these up your nose, one at a time-

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Are too!

I love those! How about these........

Thumbnail by terryr

Oh oh oh!! Looky what I found! You eating one!!!

Thumbnail by terryr

Hey, Terry (Thelma) and Lauren (Louise). Do you think he's lurking and is afraid to come out?

Thumbnail by Fireweed87

Oh my, I've been on the phone with a girlfriend and she and I are both in this thread and she spotted your post before I did! I knew immediately by the sound of her cackle that somebody had posted something really good!

Now where's Thelma?

I'm heeeeere, waiting ever so patiently for the man of the hour to come along and start arrrrgghhhh-ing his way out of this...........

There's Thelma!

While we're waiting for the man of the hour, I've been re-reading a thread because I want to learn about adaptive regions. This is direct quote from the man..........

Quoting:
There are a lot of unknowns because we don't just have climate warming, we have climate destabilization. While I suffer droughts and storms here in Illinois.....

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey, hey.... play nice! lol

Just today I was cruising down the Bigfoot Highway, noticing all the mimosa that I never knew was mimosa, seeing all the seeds dripping off the trees, and wondering if anyone would notice me and my chainsaw.....

But I'm not supposed to do it, eh?
Fooey.

Wire then. What gauge? I can pose as a can collector. Or get an orange Cal Trans vest and act like a highway worker.

Quoting:
Hey, Terry (Thelma) and Lauren (Louise). Do you think he's lurking and is afraid to come out?

I'm beginning to wonder that myself.........still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiting...............

You could do this, it'd be a great disguise! Just put your cardboard box under the mimosa and have your chainsaw under the blankie.........

Thumbnail by terryr

I'm thinking you could go incognito as the pigeon lady. Just tuck that chain saw in with your bread and no one will ever suspect!

Thumbnail by Equilibrium

Ohhhhhh, I was posting when Terry was posting.

I see there are many brilliant minds all churning here.

That chainsaw would probably fit under that dress too.........lol.........

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hey, where did you get that photo of my great-grandma, and how did you colorize it?

lol
Maybe the thread's too slow for dial-up...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.