Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Ain't she purty??? This is the true color

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

And this one.

Calathea 'Jungle Drum' Carludovica

Thumbnail by baja220
Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

So unique looking. And I have no idea how to care for it or how big it'll get. Feel free to tell me!!

Debbie

Thumbnail by baja220
Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Debbie- I saw the Cal at Home Depot last week, but didn't buy it. Cals and I don't get along so well. This one is very pretty t hough. It's atypical, IMO, of Cals. I'm also into Dieffenbachias. I have 3. One has no name and the others are named 'Tropic Snow' and 'Starbright'. Tiki is gorgeous!

GH

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

How much did you get that Cal for? It's beautiful! I was there today and saw nothing special, too bad for me!

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

GH, they had Starbright too. Don't know how I managed to leave without it. LOL

Art, the Cal was 7.97. How do ya think it'd ship?

Debbie

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Oh no no don't go to any trouble for me....like I need another house plant! :) But thank you so much for being so kind. I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled once it warms up here more. Thank you so much though. Susanne

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Nice finds!!

The second plant is a Carludovica palmata, not a Calathea.....did the tag actually say Calathea?

BTW....they do ship pretty well, as I got mine a few years ago via mail.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Susanne, it wouldn't be that big of a deal if you should change your mind. Really

Nan, the tag reads just like I put with the pic above. I've never seen this plant before, so I put exactly what the tag said. Since you have had one for years, can you share the care with me? Is it picky? Thanks

Debbie

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

I googled the carludovica palmata and it's common name is "Panama-hat plant". It's very pretty....different.

Yes, Nan, EA is calling this one a Calathea 'Jungle Drum'. LOL They are SO bad with plant names, aren't they? Sheesh!!!
GH

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

What's EA and what's the plants real name??

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

I thought it looked like a palm, but didn't take time to look it up - just thought it was a calathea I'd never seen before. After searching for it, I see it is in the family Cyclanthaceae, not calathea. According to some sites, it looks like it gets to a height of 5 to 8 feet tall.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

EA stands for Exotic Angel. Those are the plants sold in the box stores. I see a very small number peppered about in one of my local GHs from time to time. Nan gave the real name: Carludovica Palmata. If you google the name you'll find some more information on it. It may even pop up in the plant files of DG!

GH

This message was edited Sep 7, 2006 5:35 AM

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Debbie....it's a pretty easy care plant....doesn't need a lot of light (but low light won't work, either) and does *not* like to completely dry out.
I think you'll really enjoy it!
Seems to be quite a slow grower, and will often lose an older leaf for the sake of a new one.

GH....EA's names do leave a lot to be desired, I emphatically agree!!

Let's hope they eventually take the advice of those of us who have notified them that we prefer 'correctly named' plants.

You just can't beat their plants, though, for value and quality!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.