Plant problem.... your opinion...

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Inside plant not near a window. Fed every 2 weeks 1/2 strength. Soil kept moist. Medium draining.

questions: not enought light? or not enough fertilizer?

yellow older leaves still firmly attached and new leaves light green with some necro.

you advise is appreciated.

Paul

Thumbnail by pheitmeyer
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by pheitmeyer
Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I have a hard time with dumbcane so I would give any suggestions. I think I tend to overwater mine.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

another pic

Thumbnail by pheitmeyer
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I agree. I am going to hold off on watering and see if that helps.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

They like to dry out slightly between waterings. Also love to be misted. They like bright but not direct light. Be careful when removing the leaves, any sap can be toxic if it gets into open cuts. Actually your plant looks pretty healthy for being an indoor plant. Usually they tend to lose all of their bottom leaves when left inside making them look like a palm tree.

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Dieffs like to dry between waterings, but not too long without water. Overwatering causes the yellow leaves and so do long hauls without water. Err on the side of dry with this plant.

Is it possible to move it closer to a window? They do need bright indirect light to keep the beautiful variegation and develop big beautiful leaves.

Dieffs are not heavy feeders. Should be okay to slow down on the ferts now.

I have mine in a western exposure. Large oak trees allow filtered bright light. I don't feed on a schedule, but not purposefully. I use Eleanor's foliar feed once or twice a month when I remember!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I watered it really well with no fertilizer and opened the shutters on that window a little more, but west facing here brings in the heat. Since it is cooling off here now maybe the more light and backing off on the watering and fert will help. It's looking better now. Thx all!

Nottingham, MD(Zone 7a)

Also, Dieffs don't do well in drafty areas. Try to keep it away from this type of atmosphere during the winter.

Good Luck with your baby!

GH

Ferndale, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree with these advices. A bit finicky plant, but once figured out, they thrive!
Good luck, Free...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.