Ornamental Pepper?

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok...Well I can sew and a friend at work needed me to fix a pair of her pants..I did and she got me this Ornamental pepper plant...now I have no idea about it...is it edible...what does it need...it is in a little 4 inch plastic pot...probably from lowes or such....does it need repotted...and does it come back every year??? It has a ton of little peppers on it and quiet a few that aren't orange or red yet...so more to come...but it is looking like it is bigger than it's poor pot...Needless to say if I can I don't want to kill it...it is CUTE!!! I'll upload pics when I get home...but any help would be greatly appriciated!

Namaste,
Kristen

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Kristen,

My Grandmother bought one of these literally dying at the Christmas Tree Shop for $1.00 last winter to "perk her up" during our Maine winters.

She has been having the time of her life with this $1.00 plant!

She picked one of the peppers, dried the seeds, planted the seeds and she has ALL KINDS of new little babies which produced little white flowers followed by green peppers (which eventually turn yellow and then orange).

Different sites say different things about the ornamental peppers but most sites say the are edible but EXTREMELY HOT! They recommend full sun and plenty of moisture but not soggy. Misting is also recommended.

I know my Grandma has a heavy hand with the watering so I'm thinking these don't mind moisture.

I hope this helps in some way.

Kim

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've heard the same thing about them--they may technically be edible, but they are so hot that it's not really recommended--I would treat them as ornamentals.

(Zone 5b)

So a sunny windowsill is ideal for these for the winter? I put them outside for the time being, but want to keep as houseplants over the winter.

I'm hoping my cat isn't attracted to it...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.