Propagating Black Gum/Black Tupelo(Nyssa sylvatica) seed?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hello,...anyone have any experience or knowledge with propagating Nyssa sylvatica from seed? I've tried cold strat., scarifying...simply planting in the ground & waiting.....with no success. A recommendation to bathe the seeds in boiling water prior to planting, was given on another thread....and I'll be trying this....but thought I'd ask in this forum too! Thanks!

Fulton, MO

From Dirr:

"Seeds exhibit moderate embryo dormancy and moist stratification for 60-90 days at 41F is beneficial..."

That's all he says about seeds.

SB

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks SB!

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Have you tried stratification outside--sharp stratification--where it gets cold, warms up, gets cold, warms up? That works on a lot of difficult things for me.

Boiling water trick I also use on some other stufff with success.
Debbie

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Debbie,...I'm going to try both....I was able to find some info that recommended cold stratification for a minimum of 30 days (packed in wet sand) and/or....as you've suggested,...strat. in a starting/growing bed ...planting seeds as soon as harvested.
I had tried planting outside before with no success,...
also cold strat. in the fridge....but I think perhaps I didn't keep them in there long enough. I've also scarified the seeds. I'll keep tryin'!

It's the alternating cold, warmer, cold, warmer that seems to work for me. I never use fridge for this process. And it works with clematis pitcheri, the native Tx vine which is notoriously difficult to germinate.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ahhhhh! Well,...I'm on track for the C. pitcherii and will apply the same method to the N. sylvatica! Thanks Debbie,...I sure appreciate your input! Lee

edited to correct grammar

This message was edited Aug 31, 2006 4:42 PM

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Here's a helpful PDF file on Nyssa germination.

http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Nyssa.pdf

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Growin!

By the way Willis--have a few extra seeds you'd like to trade for something? I have a lot of Texas natives I could tempt you with.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Would be happy to provide some seeds! I'll send you a D-mail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.