Botany Quiz: the study of insects is called...

There are a total of 653 votes:

Arachnology
(13 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Arthropology
(21 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Entomology
(519 votes, 79%)
Red dot

Etymology
(46 votes, 7%)
Red dot

Etomology
(35 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Exoskeletology
(9 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Herpetology
(10 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I knew that, I've been watching Crossing Jordan (Bug) and CSI Vegas. Both programs have bug guys.

:^)))

Denver, CO

Looks like DG folks take the trivial cake.

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

I knew it tooooooo LOL

Janis

Buena Vista, CO(Zone 5a)

I'll never forget that course in college and having to make that bug collection!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

CSI fan from the 'getgo'!! 9>)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think that if you know your etymology than you knew the answer.

spelling correction

This message was edited Aug 28, 2006 12:09 PM

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm getting dumber by the minute. Guess I need to get out of the woods and dirt more to re-start my brain. (Or use that fat dictionary right next to me!)

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Al, Very cute!

Landrum, SC(Zone 7b)

I am a huge CSI fan and earth science major so how about one of the following reasons for my answer?
1. I accidentally hit the wrong key
2. My eyesight is so bad I could not read it properly.
3. Senility has set in. (Most likely correct answer!)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I knew the answer but I wasn't completely correct, so I changed my vote! I hate to be wrong...

xxxxx, Carrie

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Herpetology is of course the study of her pet snake.

Landrum, SC(Zone 7b)

4paws, I, too, have a dictionary right next to me. I have always been a lousy speller. However, my above answer No. 2 explains why I don't use it. I can't find the magnifying glass!

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL! I'm a big CSI fan, too, but DH never lets me watch it!!

I knew the answer, CSI or not!
DH does watch a lot of Discovery Channel and I do read a lot. (Ü)

Landrum, SC(Zone 7b)

Are all of those real words even? I couldn't find one in dictionary. But, then, as I said, the eyesight is going fast!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Mollie,

Did you know you can vote twice? I do it all the time! OK, not all the time, but when it's something I used to know, or should have known, or along those lines. I mean here's Al, thinking circles around me! We can't have that!

xxxxx, Carrie

Landrum, SC(Zone 7b)

Carrie, That sure works for me!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

How do we know Al didn't cheat and look it up? How do we know Mrs BigCity didn't look it up for him?

(ok, Dave's right. that was pretty clever)

gram

Landrum, SC(Zone 7b)

grampapa, I am on your side! Being a semi-retired teacher I think with an answer that clever - he had to cheat! :) Never mind the fact that even cheating I could not have come up with that clever answer. Basically, I just visit Dave's place so I can feel stupid. :)

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I actually have spoke with our state entomologist. Etymology is just a term a had heard before - the origin and use of words in very interesting to me. I can't tell you what etomology is though.

Gram - I don't look things up - or read directions - or follow directions.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Al - I looked in the dictionary! and I still don't know what etomology is. Can't find it, does anyone know?

Red Oak, NC(Zone 7b)

I LOVE CSI!!!!!!!! Grisom helped me with this one. I watch Crossing Jordan too. My husband of coarse detests them because I crawl right into the show.

Our Iowa State Entomologist drilled it into our heads in our Master Gardener Class back in '82. I doubt any of us ever forgot it! Ha.
Deanna

Compton, AR(Zone 6a)

We gardeners know our insect terminology, don't we! I got it right just as most of us did.

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Arachnology.................the study of barbaque ribs..........A-rack-nology...also known as arachbabybacknology, but was shortened for scrabble purposes.

Herpetology..................the study of guys named Herpert or the study of something to do with STDs.

Exoskeletology............the study of what you have to use once you cannot have any more face lifts and require a face brace. This is near plague levels in LA.

Arthropology................the study of having to say your sorry for cracking your knuckles....and knees.....and back.....and...........

Weston, FL

LOL

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

Glad I was in 4H as a kid. I took Entomology as one of my projects when I was 9 years old. It was great fun back then to collect all those bugs and display them and have to show them on a regular basis to my Mom who just didn't understand me at all. LOL

Stu, Great dictionary terms. I got a good laugh.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Finally, finally, I got one!!!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Knowing it and spelling it correctly are two entirely different things!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

BUGS! EEEKKK!

Stephenville, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL!

Too easy--I'm married to one.

:-))

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

This one was fun, since some of the choices were really creative. Particularly like exoskeletology!

Landrum, SC(Zone 7b)

Stu - Yep, I think you nailed herpetology! I am 62, majored in science before you were born and that was still the first thing I thought of when I saw the word! Well, plus that and I still think Dave made up a couple of those because I can't remember ever seeing them and can't find some in the dictionary! Come on, Dave! 'fess up!

Aurora, CO(Zone 5a)

I have a science background, so this was a slam dunk. But the way I remember it is I think ANTomology. Etymology is the study of words. As I writer, I knew that. I think of "Et tu Brute," which are words.

Ah the little tricks you learn to get through college.

Lisbon, Portugal(Zone 10a)

Well, hesitated there, and I must say this is a first time for me ever - so no one else picked herpetology....not that I was convinced, but it was that or the entomology...

What´s herpetology anyway????

;-)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Sorry - I usually put the answer in the first box, so you can know right away if you were right. If you've made it this far, you've probably voted, so I won't be spoiling it to say the correct answer is what the majority selected - entomology.

And yes, herpetology is a real word - it is the study of reptiles and amphibians. I'll let you guess (or search and figure out) which of the others are real (most are) and which are made up (some are).

Lebanon, PA

you'd think i would know by now to go with my first instinct

FLStu thanks for the laugh those were really good descriptions

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

You forgot Endoskeletology!

Effingham, SC(Zone 8a)

Endoskeletology.......................the study of human bone system via a colonoscopy. Also defined as the study of the support structure before face the need for an external support system (see Exoskeletology above).

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Loved your first definition!! I'll have to remember that!!! LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.