Having a tomato seed problem, can you help?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I've been following Horseshoe's pictorial seed directions~ which are great, btw~ (http://davesgarden.com/journal/d/t/Horseshoe/1109/) but my problem is this. After I let the mold grow for a few days, then poured it off, I still have tomato pulp in the bottom of my jar. I added more water and stirred, waited for it to settle and the fine pulp is still on the bottom. I can see the seeds at the bottom, too! Grrrr...

SO, do I wait longer? let it mold again? pour the seeds out into the strainer anyway? chuck the whole thing and start over?? Help!!!

Planti

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

dmail Horseshoe--he always answered my questions. =)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I'll try it...thanks!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I just keep running water in the cup and pouring it off. It may take quite a few times to get most of it out.

Do not re-ferment.

When most of the gunk is gone, pour the seeds in a strainer and rinse them while rubbing a bit...this should push the rest of the gunk through the holes.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks Melody...that's exactly what Horseshoe told me to do, as well! They seem to have turned out all right. I got so excited that I had to do three more kinds of tomatoes right away.

Thanks, again,
Jacki

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mel,
Jacki is hooked now, eh!!? :>)

Renton, WA(Zone 8a)

Jackie,

What kind of tomatoes do you have? I've been looking for someone who has some different colors, purple, orange, black etc. I have yellow (large and grape) as well as roma and cherry. Interested in trading for seeds?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Hey, another Washingtonion (is that a word??). I would really love to trade a few. After I'm all done collecting I'll know what I have. Fair warning...this is the first time I've collected and I haven't any idea what my germination rate will be. But if you are game, I could sure use some roma and cherry tomatoes next year!!

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

wouldn't that be Washilonian :o)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

LOL!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.