Cat repellant

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Is there a cat repellant for use on house plants so your cat doesn't chew on plants? Right now most are out side, but I'm just thinkin ahead to fall since I just got a new kitten.

Debbie

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

You can try wrapping the pot in tinfoil (including covering the durt) or plasing tinfoil under the pot. It hasn't worked for my cats (Nero loves the sound of tinfoil) but I know that it has worked for others. It's like how most cats hate water, but some like to swim.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

mmm, hadn't thought of that, but i'll bet my kitten would like that noise. I was thinkin of something like Liquid Fence. Can that be used indoors?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

I just plant a low, wide terra cotta pot with Perennial Rye grass seed, place it by the sunny sliding glass door and let it grow. My cats much prefer their own "grass" to any of my plants. The low, wide pot keeps them from tipping it over. If they have their own, they will leave yours alone! Also, I found out by accident that my cat cannot STAND Cuban Oregano / Plectranthus amboinicus. By accident I placed a pot of it near some house plants she used to nibble on...she will go no where near them now!

K

P.S. for a quick fix, I have even planted "sod" lawn grass in a pot. That way you don't have to wait for germination!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have a coleus called "doggie be gone" that's also supposed to work on cats. Want it?

xxxx, Carrie

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

My kitty always chewed one of my plants. One day I sprinkled a little cayenne pepper on it. The cat got into the cayenne pepper and never touched it again. You can also buy seed of cat grass. That way the kitty have its own plant to dine on.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

There is some stuff at the pet store called "Bitter Apple" and you just spray the plant and the cats don't like it. Works for me really good. I have tried the cat grass and my cats love it but soon after eating it, they urp up green gook. Not fun to clean up and they like to find a piece of carpet to urp on instead of the hard floor. Sheverne

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I bought some cat and kitten repellent by four paws but didn't take my readers with me to read the fine print. Do Not Spay Plants. LOL Gonna take it back and try the Bitter Apple.

Also gonna try to find that Cuban Oregano.

You can sprinkle Cyenne Pepper Powder on house plants and it won't hurt them??

Debbie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Do not spay plants? Or spray? LOL ROTF! I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you, Debbie!

xxxxxx, Carrie

This message was edited Sep 5, 2006 5:19 AM

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Ooops, that's supposed to be spray!! LOL I'll just leave it, it's kinda funny!!

Debbie

Fruitport, MI(Zone 5a)

The cayenne pepper powder did not hurt my plant. I don't think that I'd try it on an african violet or anything with fuzzy leaves without trying a small area first, just to be safe. They sell hot pepper wax for plants. It's used as a pest repellent for bugs, deer and bunnies too.

Fuquay-Varina, NC(Zone 7a)

cacti work great as cat repellents!

my roommate has a cat that just loves to mow down any plants he can get his teeth on. I lost two dracaenas because I left them unattended for an hour in the sink. I thwart his herbivorous attacks on plants by placing all the tasty plants (those with long slender leaves like pony tail palms and dracaenas are purrr-fect snacks) up high where he can't get them. Fortunately, he doesn't jump up on shelves or other high locales.

cats usually go for grassy type plants in order to harf up a hairball. for the record, they aim for the carpets because there is no "back splash" like there would be on a hard surface. some cats just like to "play" in the plants and just take a nibble on the ends because they are all wound up. unfortunately, there are just some cats that will maul any plantlife that comes in the house.

spikey cacti, bitter apple, or cayenne should thwart most felines. I usually top my surface soil with river rocks to keep out any kitties thinking about using the houseplants as a potty.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

We have this theory about why cats barf on carpet. They've always heard the phrase " pukin' your toenails out". They figure if they hook their claws in the carpet, they can't turn inside out when they ghack.... Ain't life grand? : ))

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Is THAT why she does that? We call her "Barf Cat" around here! We keep changing food hoping it will help...and all along it's a TOENAIL thing!!!! Who knew????

K :~X

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I got some bitter apple and I'm spraying it on a few leaves for a few days to see if it has any affect on the plant. Oh!!! I tasted it too!!!! LOL OMG! I rinsed my mouth out for 15 minutes to get the taste out. It should do the trick if he gets a little taste of that stuff!

Baja ~ I am glad my Momma didn't have bitter apple! Scrubbing mouths out with soap was bad enough to clean our language up!

Kachina ~ the best barfless cat food I have found is Hills C/D dry food. Unfortunately, it gets expensive when feeding four. About the only time I find barf now is when there is a lizard tail in it or maybe yesterdays' rodent. (((( shudder ))))

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Hills C/D, I'll look for it.........thanks for the tip!

K :~)

I think you can mailorder online. I pick mine up at a local vet. He got me started on it as I have one girlie Pearlie that has habitual urinary tract infections. This has prevented the uti thankfully. Also has been great on the cat ghack issue.

Thumbnail by podster
Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

"Barf Cat" or "Ghack Cat". I sure hope it helps!!!! My carpets hate me and the lino is laughing daily.

K

and that's why I hate carpet. I'd have none if I could. We only have it in bdrms. I will always have pets, now if I could find upholstery fabric that cat hair won't stick to - besides leather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.