Propagation Book

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for a really good book on Propagation. Does anyone know of a good one that is also easy to understand?

I would like one that tells what cuttings root best in water and which plants do best in sand or soil mixture, ect.

Thanks in advance for any help in this area,
Jane

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

One of the nicest books is "Making More Plants" by Ken Druse. Enjoyable to read, easy to understand with pics of different techniques, situations and makes a great coffee table book. There's a great section at the back with details by genus. There are several other books but this one is not a hard-core prop text.

Take a look at some of the links on my prop page and see if anything helps http://members.shaw.ca/magnolia/links/propagation.htm

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Making more plants is an excellent general propagation methods refrence book (I own it) but sparse on specific plants in more southern regions. In my opinion.

Beachwood, OH

American Horticulture Society has The Handbook of Propagation

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

the AHS book is excellent.

Lilburn, GA

I have it and it is great!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

"Success with Cuttings", by Chris & Valerie Wheeler is also very good, but not as comprehensive at the species level as the AHS guide.

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

For the propagation of woody plants, consider Michael Dirr and Charles Heuser, Jr.'s "The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation - From Seed to Tissue Culture". It's a scholarly work used by commercial growers. I have it and use it regularly. I bought it from amazon.com.

Lilburn, GA

I checked that book and it is sooooooo expensive. :o(

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Try the library if the books are too expensive. You can make notes or just extend the length that you borrow them. I love to browse the library.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I second that. If I find a book that I keep renewing, it's time to buy it. Right now I'm trying to muster-up the money for "Treeferns".

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

spider, Do you have cooperative extension system office nearby? If you do, give them a call. Sometimes they will allow clients to use them. Our master gardener associations maintain nice libraries in their offices here, and they can be check out or referenced in the reading area. Public libraries in your area may be able to get you copies of reference books through their library sharing plans.

Lilburn, GA

thank you Peony. I will do that. :o)

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

My best one is"
How to increase plants" - Dodd , mead &company 1961 out of print
Making more plants- ken druse- 2000
and
Plant progagation - Hartmann and Kester - this one get technical real quick . 1983 - 4 th add.
I have the- American Horticulture Society has The Handbook of Propagation - it covers to many plants and not the ones I want .
My advice is to go to libary and read the book before you buy . Buy a Book on what you are interested in . If Libary doesn't have any go to nursery . most of the time they will let you look at there books .
I go to used book stores , there's a lot of schools around here .
You can go to thrift stores and tell them you want anything on plants and give them your phone number .
Amazon.com sells both new and used books from bookstores . If you use them buy the cheapest used book , then if you like it buy a new one .

(Maggie) Jacksonvill, FL(Zone 9a)

I've bought many used books from Amazon.com providers and never had a problem. I love owning my own copy of a useful reference book. Ditto growin- If I keep renewing it, it's time to buy it- at a reasonable price.
Spider, try this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?dest=9999999997&product_id=1895274&sourceid=0100000030660805302498

FYI- that's a search on Walmart.com. They had it at $32.90 for the 1987 edition. Does anyone know if there is a more recent edition? I've not found one, not even by searching the Varsity Press website.

Maggie

Lilburn, GA

thank you very much for that, Maggie.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.