Wintersowing 2007 Prep!!!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

carrie,
I haven't run into that one. I will be interested to hear the answer.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Carrie - I haven't encountered that either, but if I had to guess, I would say plant them now and leave them out all winter? In general, if you have read the wintersown.org website, it suggests that wintersowing begin on the winter solstice, which is December 21st. From my limited experience of last year as well as guidance from seasoned sowers, I have learned that most will sow the hardy perennials/annuals in Dec/Jan/Feb, and the rest beginning in March.

Anita

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That's what I was planning, until I got these seeds from Specialty Perennials. Their website is full of strange instructions, put seeds in freezer for one hour then bake in a pre-heated 350 oven until evenly brown, well not really, but some instructions seem totally contrary to what Mother Earth would have devised. Then I remembered: they're probably giving instructions to expedite germination! We don't care if it's expedited; we're willing to wait a whole winter. Anyone agree? Otherwise I will plant them this weekend!

xxxxx, Carrie

All I want is 50% and some beutiful flower seedling to transplant in the Spring! I'll be way ahead of the gardening thing if I'm blessed with just 50%. Even though I will aim for higher :0)

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

That is what I thought 50% is probably about right. Well there were two that didn't get 50% the rest were way higher than that. It is ok though because then you can share.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

carrie - you should go ahead and sow your warm/cold/warm seeds now. You could try a few using the method they recommend, and a few with the WS method - of course, it'd be FS now.

I have some asiatic and oriental lily seeds (collected from my own plants, so I'm hoping I got it right and they're viable); they are supposed to need a warm period followed by a cold, and should germinate in the spring. I sowed them in early August, and they'll stay outside till they sprout. If they don't, I'll just blame it on my lack of skills in seed-collecting. :0)

But I think it will work.

Give yours a shot -

PV

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, PV, what's the worst that could happen? A little wasted seed? I'll do it soon!

xxx, C.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I believe there is no right or wrong - what works for one, may not work for another. In general, I had incredible success with w/s which is why I'm sold on the concept. The whole process is a learning one as well as incredibly fun!!!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the info I've gotten from the forum so far. I am trying winter sowing for the first time this year. When the time comes, I may be posting alot of "newbie" questions! Thanks in advance for your patience. ;)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Me too!

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

not a problem!! I was in your shoes last year!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

Like I said I love to answer questions and learn along the way.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Me three, to happy's me too up there. (When we were kids, we heard it like me 2 then me 3 and me 4! Good (?) thing spelling comes in somewhere, or maybe not..)

xxxxx, Carrie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.