Carex buchananii Hardiness

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hello - I am a newbie to this forum. I just finished a new planting bed in the front yard with Juniperus squamata Blue Star, Chamaecyparis obtusa Golden Sprite, Carex oshimensis Evergold, Festuca glauca Elija Blue and Carex buchananii Copper Sedge. The Copper Sedge was purchased from a local garden center as a "Plants That Work" selection with a hardiness rating of zone 5. After planting the bed I realized that I could use two more Carex buchananii and as no more were available at the garden center I searched online. All I could find was Carex Buchananii Leather Leaf sedge with a hardiness rating of zone 7. Although I am firmly in zone 5, I ordered two anyway from Dove Creek Gardens (as well as the Evergold) hoping they are the same plant. They sure looked the same. Are they? What's up with Carex buchananii and its hardiness? Is Plants That Work just stretching the hardiness zones to sell more stuff? The copper sedge is just gorgeous, a real copper color. Even if hardy to 7 I would probably replant as an annual. Thanks for your help. Mary

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

Copper Sedge is Carex flagellifera, hardy to zone 7. I've also heard Carex comans 'Bronze Form' referred to as Copper Sedge, also zone 7. Carex buchanii is Leather Leaf Sedge, also zone 7. Carex oshimensis 'Evergold' is hardy to zone 6.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Mary,

That sedge is variously rated from Z5 to 7. But it looks like the most reliable (in my opinion) ratings are about -10 degrees. Most of the brown or copper colored sedges are not hardy for us Z5. However, I think you have a shot with this one. Mulch them heavily, and especially if we have a mild winter they may make it thru.

I really enjoy the colors of the sedges, and use some for annuals here. I've found Walmart normally carries them.

I guess bottom line, they may or may not make it. Probably will depend on the winter we get. Last year we were never down below 0.

And welcome to the forum!

Polly

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Ah Ha! I suspect Plants That Work is really Plants That We Will Stretch The Hardiness Zones So That We Can Sell More Stuff company. Check out the label I tore off the pot for reference. Two posts, one front and one back label shots. Incidentally, I like the grass well enought that I will plant again, but with the expectation that it is an annual here.

Mary

Thumbnail by snapple45
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Back of Label

Thumbnail by snapple45
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I have Carex Evergold established in the garden here, five years now. Some of the plants have thrived while some of their identical mates in the same location just kind of dissapeared. I don't mulch them over winter. I think that this year I will protect this new bed. It is in an exposed location. The copper sedge, whatever it is, harmonizes with a copper/orange/pink colored Grand Canyon sandstone hand carved bird bath and contrasts nicely with the Blue Star junipers. The bird bath was sitting kind of dusty and forgotten in a corner at a local stone yard that sells rock, pavers and fountains. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Thank you both donn and pollyk. I will definitely mulch.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Plants that work is really a pretty good company. I expect as they are such a new company they just have not trialed some plants enough.

I have the same experience with Evergold. I suspect it's micro climates that do them in. I have some thriving, some just sit there, and some never come back.

Your planting sounds lovely. Pictures are always appreciated here!

Polly

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

The new bed, sun just climbing over the neighbor's oak.

Mary

Thumbnail by snapple45

Very nice! I love the birdbath.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

THAT is nice!!! And you are right about the Carex. I would put them in there even if I had to buy them each year.

If you're into it, Carex comans 'Bronze Form' is easily grown from seed. It's a smaller Carex, and is kinky, curly and dead-looking. I have 4 clumps I'm growing on in gallon nursery pots, started from seed in late-April. It started slowly, but has been coming on nicely during the hot summer. It's about 8" tall and 6-8" in diameter now.

Thumbnail by donn
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That is an interesting looking grass. Has character. I find myself looking at grasses a lot more in the last few years. I believe they have been under utilized. They can definitely add color, texture, form and structure. Zone five seems to be the upper limits for all but the very most hardy. I also have to be careful of size as mine is a small suburban lot. The larger clump grasses are gorgeous but hard to place, although I do have a Miscanthus sinensis Strictus out at the pond. This year I am trying a Miscanthus sinensis Gold Bar in another portion of the back gardens and have on order Hakonechloa macra All Gold for a shady walk. The list, and interest, grows.
I just saw a photo of a Carex comans Bronze in The Color Encyclopedia of Ornamental Grasses by Rick Darke. No wonder you are growing it. Stunning! But, its the zone thing, you are a 7, I'm a 5. :>( Think I could give it a shot?

Thumbnail by snapple45

I think if you start it indoors, to give it a longer growing season, it'd make a good annual. I suppose you could try over-wintering it indoors, but that's iffy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.