great days to have sansevierias!

North Wales, PA(Zone 6a)

As Crasulady mentioned, these are the days of new growth for well grown sans. If you know how slow these guys are, you know what a celebration a new leaf is. I have loved seeing this happen the last month or so--new growth popping up on mein liebling, trif 'sophia,' tri 'frank niedz,' hallii (baseball bat), masoniana, deserti, patens, variegated hallii, and concinna. What a great feeling!

Thanks for all the education Norma!

Valley Village, CA

Sansman, it's great to hear that your Sans. are all doing so well. Now is the time to take leaf cuttings of the species, they will come true, however the hybrids or cultivators probably won't, and you may be surprised at what actually comes up from those leaves. Cut the leaves about 8" in size and stuff several in a very small container that is not deep, we start ours at the Huntington in 2" 18 x 18 flats, we let the ends dry first, remember which end is the bottom. You may also use the short sheaths, just pull them off.
You will really get really excited when you see the first leaves from the cuts. You actually have several that I don't. Tell me more about the named hybrids. Crasulady

North Wales, PA(Zone 6a)

Hey Norma,

Thanks for the tip. I have only recently tried a leaf cutting of kirkii superclone. Hope it works!

The 'sophia' and 'frank niedz' plants were purchased from a local guy in his backyard greenhouse. Seems his business partner was frank niedz, then frank moved to Florida and left a lot of his sansevierias behind. The guy selling them is really into orchids and his GH was packed so I actually purchased these for *very* low prices b/c he needed the space.

The frank niedz reminds me a bit of wagner's gold, but I think more striking. It has a "plaid effect" throughout each leaf, different on front and back. But the new offshoot looks to have reverted to typical trif looks. The sophia must be a luarentii cultivar, looking like a version of black gold and new offshoot kept the variegation nicely.

Brooks

Valley Village, CA

All of my Sans. are poking up new growth at this time, some are actually in flower, yes it's exciting, these made it through last winter. I am sending the seed to England for the Sans. Soc. seed bank. I'm still trying to hand pollinate, and was told shaking the flower stalk would do just as good. I hope I get better results than I did last year. Crasulady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.