Hello!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

New here; joined at Revclaus' invite. Am in Albuquerque which is more desert than mountain zones but am very close to the Sandias so I get a bit of both weathers. I have 50 sf balcony with southern exposure, so do mostly xeriscape gardening -- but -- if I can get a handyman up here to do some "honey-dos" for me, will have some shady spots and then -- watch out! I have a small shade area now -- the size of a tea tray -- that has a hydranga (sp?), a rescue, and a couple philodendrens that are summering out there. Glad to meet y'all! jo

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Welcome Jo!
I live in Los Alamos, and though your conditions are probably dryer than mine, they are probably pretty similar otherwise. I would like to grow one here, but I will have to wait until I have time to plant it properly and water it regularly.
I bet you can get a lot done on a 50 sf balcony.
Betty

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Here's the link to my photos from the last year and half or so - where I'm known as mamatoad. It's a steadily evolving project out there but having a private spot to be and to get dirt under my nails saves my sanity!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52828475@N00/?saved=1

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Welcome Jo, Enjoyed your balcony photos, you are making very good use of your balcony. The variegated Ficus Benjamina, I believe it is, is a great specimen.. Altho with my Dial Up, all were slow to show. You will enjoy DG.

Donna

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Welcome, Jo, how about picking a couple of your favorite pics and posting them here for us slow downloaders? LOL that reads funny.

If you're close enuff those mtns give you icy slicks and snow in winter and the valley cooks in summer. and those are still part of the Rocky Mtn chain. which gives us all such extremes to deal with and so much beauty to go with it. ~~waving in a southeast direction from here on the red rock plateau ~~Blooms

Denver, CO

Better than freeloaders.
I'll have to be on a faster computer to see those, I look forwrad to it.

Welcome, Jo! I warn you, this place is dangerous. Like an opium house to the recovering addict. Glad Judith could convince you to join in.
And kudos to you for being Xeric. You balance out the tropicalesque nutters like myself. Mind you, High County Gardens Catalogues make me think that I need to buy some property and make a nice rockery.
Cheers,
Kenton J.

Salt Lake City, UT(Zone 6a)

Kenton is right Jo........ it can be like a chocaholic finding it first candy store...... Do not worry you are among friends that can not wait to WARN you, CHASTISE you, but most of all comfort and commiserate with you through all your future TRIUMPHS and otherwise. Know you are among friends that hurt with you , bleed with you, share with you all gardening all knowledge, all caring and all knowing...... just do not look behind the curtain on stage 3 thats where --------- hangs out..........

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I enjoyed the photos and your shaded balcony is a blessing in Albuquerqe. You look like you have lots of trees outside. Is you balcony facing N? I always ask these questions so I learn what grows where. Your cherry tomatoes should be producing well soon. Welcome to the site where all people are friendly, except Guy and enjoy our friendship. Steve.

Denver, CO

Splendid photos. But there is no way I would ever want the "view from (your) chair," as I would never get any chores done aroudn the place, just consume industrial quantities of tea.
Very homey.
Welcome to our lot. Watch out for Steve; he bites. But not to worry: he has had (and administered) lost of rabies vaccines.
K

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

My dog is due for a DPT shot series soon... wait, I think that might be my kid who is due for a DPT series...

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I kinda knew what I was getting into -- Revie introduced me to the manta chanted by folks like us: enableenableenable! ("Of course you can buy that plant! And should!!") LOL! Since I'm on disability and taking the summer off (need to figure out what I want to do when I grow up; have worked fulltime since I was 15 and either gone to school or taken a 2nd job or both all these years -- could it be *that's* why I'm on disability?? LOL!), I do spend a *lot* of time sitting in my oversized chair staring out at the balcony and the landscaping beyond. Am on the 4th/top floor and the trees are mature so no one can see into my apartment or the balcony -- great for gardening in jammies -- unless I'm right at the railing. The balcony faces south and the entire south wall of the apt is glass so the plants do well inside over-winter. Have posted more on Flickr -- and I know what y'all mean -- I have dial-up and uploading can be a real PITA! Will post a couple here too.

Thumbnail by jio1
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

/;-)

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi Jo! I should read more RMG threads, but I've been busy lately. I'm so glad you decided to join us. It's a great bunch, and we all share the same conditions that we don't share with anybody else in the country. And now I have a sister balcony gardener to lament and cheer with!

Judith

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.