Draceana Deremensis , does it flower?

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi I have a small Deremensis (i think) with variegated leaves, i will try and upload the picture. I was wondering if anyone knows if this plant flowers?? I saw a photo of another different Deremensis (so they claimed) and it was flowering but the site was in Chinese so i couldn't read it (i will try and upload this picture too). Can anyone identify this, is it a Deremensis ? what do you guys think, houseplants are tough for me to id.
THANKS!!!

Thumbnail by AbbieOriginal
Brooklyn, NY

Abbie, It's Dracaena deremensis 'Warneckii' and it rarely flowers (with pink flowers). I've seen Dracaena Massangeana (Corn Plant) flower many times but not deremensis.

GreenScaper

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

very interesteing! do you have any suggestions for coaxing it into flowering, or know how large it must be to do so?
Thanks so much for the info!!

Abbie

Brooklyn, NY

Abbie, my experience with all of the Dracaena species is as foliage plants. I believe the low-light environment they are typically in is not conducive to flowering. Greenhouse growers of these plants might know what triggers flowering but I don't.

On a similar note, I have 7 Sansevieria plants (usually grown for foliage) in my consumer lab and 3 of them are in bloom right now. There is no question that they are accurately watered (sub-irrigated) and receive adequate light. In short, they are happy plants. Other than that, I believe that the 3 that bloomed are more mature plants than the others are. They were installed 2 years ago.

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the info, i don't know if I have ever seen a sansevieria in bloom, but will keep my eye out for them at the garage sales from now on! If you don't mind - a question about your consumer lab - what type of lighting do you use? we have a green room in one of the bedrooms with an extreemly high intensity light (not sure what type but it is HEAVY duty), I am growing a plumeria in there right now, among other things but this is probably the highest light requiring plant i have in there - do you think this would be an adequate environment for plants like sansevieria? I haven't quite figured out the proper time setting on the light and now am currently running it only 8 hours a day. Also a question about your sub irrigaed watering - I inherited a large pot of clay pellets for hydroponic growing (I got all this stuff from my neighbor whose son got in trouble for growing marijuana indoors if that gives you any clue as to the equiptment - lucky me, unlucky him!), do you use clay or dirt mixture? - I was considering trying a few iris bulbs in it but am uncertain about all this!
My passion is for orchids (they are protected on the other side of the greenroom from the blazing light) so I am just now begining to learn about all these other plants!
Thanks for the pointers!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.