Hibiscus Propagation

Milton, VT(Zone 4a)

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best time of year and method for propagation of hardy Hibiscus plants?

Thanks

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

cuttings and you can do them now.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

seeds works very well on hardy hibiscus too.

Milton, VT(Zone 4a)

I guess the main reason I asked is that the Hibiscus is getting quite large and I wanted to cut it down. Can it be devided, planting the two parts in different spots?

Brian

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

My mother just chops thru the center of the roots and moves sections and it has always done well...it actually seems to do better once it has been divided.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You can root new shoots.

You can also cut off a piece of the plant/roots with shoots on it as rj said.

They are quite easy from seed but you probably won't get an identical plant.

Rockton, PA

I cut mine to the ground two weeks ago and I have all kinds of new sprouts coming up from the stems.
Aline

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Some of them you will get identical plants such as Hibiscus coccineus (Red TX Star) and Hibiscus coccineus 'Alba' (White Tx Star) from seeds.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

The trouble with getting hibiscus from seed is the little boring insects that like to eat the inside of the seeds. You should start with more seeds than you need to make sure there are some viable ones. I hate those little buggers.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

A show of hands for long nose weevil haters! LOL I call them Pinocchio bugs! ;)

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Waving both hands. I know I sometimes think I harvested them soon enough and put them in a plate to finish drying for a couple weeks, just to find them little snouty things in the plate right along with the little seeds with drilled holes in them.
Not much you can do but maybe pretend you are a weevil breeder and had a great batch. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.