August Daily Weather, What's happening in your neighborhood?

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well August has finally arrived and many of us are praying for a break in record breaking heat. It has been very nice so far here with the exception of being behind in the annual rain.
Please stop in often with your great pictures and a glimpse of what your weather is.
81.3 °F / 27.4 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 66%
Dew Point: 69 °F / 20 °C
Wind: 3.6 mph / 5.8 km/h from the South
Wind Gust: 8.1 mph / 13.0 km/h
Here is a close-up of my peppermint Crepe Myrtle.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
(Zone 3b)

sugarweed; August begins with a temp of 44 degrees and rain..it has rained overnight and with the clouds way down, looks as if it's here for the day. The rain is gentle, no wind...your flowers are so bright!
kiska

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hot, Hot, Hot. Can you say HOT?

Heat Index of 114º all week. Glad my new central AC will be fully installed by tomorrow!

DFW area, TX(Zone 8a)

Dallas Love Field
Last Update on Aug 1, 9:53 am CDT

A Few Clouds

86°F
(30°C) Humidity: 57 %
Wind Speed: S 16 MPH
Barometer: 29.99" (1014.5 mb)
Dewpoint: 69°F (21°C)
Heat Index: 90°F (32°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi

Forecast: 100 degrees all week. No rain in sight.

Veronica -- "Speedwell" in wildflower garden, July '06

Thumbnail by Susannah_C
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Good grief, Darius. Who knew it got so hot in the mountains. I can't ever remember temps being that high in NC. Really glad you'e getting the A/C in, this heat can't be good for your breathing.

Travel advertisments say "Virginia is for lovers"........can't imagine cuddling in that weather!!!! LOL
Pati

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Central Missouri. HOT! DRY! In desperate need of rain. In the yarden the phlox are doing ok tho as are the cosmos, cleomes and what looks like a nice big Pot Marigold which should not be blooming right now as they are a cool weather plant. The hosta are making it, but are suffering from the heat and dryness. I've been watering the hosta but that doesn't undo the hot dry winds which we are having quite a few of lately. That wind just sucks the moisture right out of a plant. The crops in the fields show that all to well. The outside rows are in terrible condition while the inner rows look better because while they are dry too, they don't have the winds on them so badly.

It was 107* in Sedalia yesterday afternoon. It is 103* on the farm right now. Of course towns are usually hotter because of the pavement, concrete sidewalks & parking lots, vehicle exhausts, etc. I picked up a little dog from a shelter yesterday afternoon and really needed to get food for the critters but it was just too hot to leave her in the van even for a few minutes. I had taken several ice packs and had them in the way too large for her size carrier with her. When we got home she was laying right on top of one of them and had pulled a couple more up close to her. Smart little mutt!

We are all praying for rain in this area.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 8:39 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I hate to post this, because it almost seems like bragging when so many of you are so dry... :-/ There have been thunderstorms off and on all day. I need to get another rain gauge and put it somewhere where I won't step on it. I keep putting them in the garden and then forgetting they are there and breaking them. Maybe I should quit buying such cheap and flimsy ones, too! LOL

Hoping some of our rain heads for those of you who need it...
~ Marylyn

Current conditions in Houston
Mostly Cloudy (with thunder rumbling again in the distance...) 91°F (33°C)
Humidity: 61 % (that can't be right!)
Wind Speed: SE 13 MPH
Barometer: 30.01" (1016.7 mb)
Dewpoint: 76°F (24°C)
Heat Index: 103°F (39°C)
Visibility: 10.00 mi.

Marylyn they have very sturdy ones on sale at Joannes right now.
;)

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

HEY - Guys & Gals - it is no longer July - it's August (hint).

Hotter than the flame on an oxy-acetalene torch set for "destruction only mode" now I know why everyone out west was gripeing about the heat a few days ago.

Edited to say - OOOPS - Wrong thread, this one belongs in weather.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 3:39 PM

Can't believe I posted this over there - and of course Sidney was way ahead of me on starting the new month. Sorry Sidney, please forgive!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Pretty much the same as yesterday, and that is good.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on August 01, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
78 °F / 26 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 59 °F / 15 °C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h Variable
Wind Gust: 17 mph / 28 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16

I am just amazed at the temps for you Kelli.
;)

(Zone 3b)

leaflady - sure sounds awfully hot and dry-hope that will change
kelli - good reading that it's cooled off a bit there. The rain stopped about an hour ago, the sun's nice and bright/ temp of 66.
photo: Knik glacier
kiska
alaska

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska, hope you don't mind me using that pretty picture on my desktop for a while.
;)

(Zone 3b)

I'm happy to share " my Alaska neighborhood"...did you ever find this (Knik) glacier on Google Earth? This is pretty much the view we have as we drive home from Palmer.
kiska

This message was edited Aug 1, 2006 4:04 PM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

94.6° (F), 51% sunny and still too hot, sposed to cool off tomarrow.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Hazy, hot and humid. Heat index is 105 degrees. ome slight breezes did a job on drying out potted plants.

But the heat didn't slow down the butterflies.

Thumbnail by se_eds
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Starting with a delightful low of 66*F,
we only reached 94*F,
with a humidity of 14%,
A purely delightful day in my desert end of the country.

Kiska, lovely view, I'm sure I'd find it chilly. I think my blood has thinned from years of living here in the heat.
Susannah, if my Speedwell would look that happy I wouldn't be thinking of digging it out.
Andy, you always have the positive picture for us no matter the weather.
:-)~~Blooms

Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

temp has dropped to70 and we have had RAIN. Have large cracks in our yard. Are on watering restrictions. This rain is so nice. Have shut the AC off & opened the windows, first time for probably 2 weeks. Leaflady hopefully this is heading your way.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan
66 °F / 19 °C

We are supposed to go down to a low of 48°F / 9 °C tonight and by next Tuesday we are supposed to be back up to 100°F. Hopefully we will be sending a bit more coolness down your way (and knock a number of degrees off the heat wave that is determined to come back up here).

Shew and El Paso was flooded! Just can't figure one day to the next. I sure would like to see that dessert this fall. They are always awesome after a rainy summer.
85.1 °F / 29.5 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 49%
Dew Point: 64 °F / 18 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
It's almost midnight here and still that warm It got to 96.1 °F / 35.6 °C today.
30% chance of rain tomorrow.
Here's a so-so shot of some of my Coleus and Hostas

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Catching up again!

Lilypon, your collage was beautiful! If it was a calendar, and it should be, I'd buy it!

Kiska, love the glacier!

Susannah, I agree with Blooms. Yesterday mine was wilting. It HAS to be moved!

Petra, your rain came my way!

Glory glory! I woke at 2:00 am to see lightning. Minutes later it was thundering right overhead and POURING! It rained till 2:30 am and I went back to sleep. It was 72* at 4:45 am and 1 2/10'' in the guage.

I got out early yesterday and mowed. Finished right before the sun came out. Our heatwave is broken for a few days.

Tall American Bellflower. It's a beautiful periwinkle blue.

Thumbnail by billyporter

Oh that is such a neat plant Billy. Well It's sunny and hot already. Gonna check the chat room.
;)

DFW area, TX(Zone 8a)

Dallas, TX --

Hot, hot, hot.

Remember the movie, L.A. STORY, with Steve Martin, where he's the weathercaster? He throws up a bunch of sticky sun magnets on the map and says "The forecast? Sun! Sun! Sun! Sun! Sun! ... and that's the weather."

A-yup. Here, too.

98-100+ all week. We haven't had rain since a tiny (read: 10 minute) thundershower July 4th. And before that, it was May. And before that, early March. We are DRY.

Here's a picture from the "red garden" which needs more than a little coddling these days. I have to talk to it in a new language every morning. I have to lie to it and tell it cool weather's coming. How does one say "Cool and 72" in Cantonese?

Thumbnail by Susannah_C
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Sugarwee & Savannah, those are beautiful pictures. I only wish I had such plants right now. Everything here is struggling just to stay alive in this dry heat.

Texas does seem to be divided into too much rain and absolutely desert areas this year. Is that nornal? Our DGD lives in Houston and sometimes I get concerned for her. But she never mentions being in any danger.

DFW area, TX(Zone 8a)

It's been normal for the past two summers, though this year the coastal areas have had more rain than last, I believe.

2005-2006 has just been very odd here. We only had one freeze all winter, and it was a dry winter throughout. I January we had temps in the mid-80s and our first 100-degree day here in April (at least, the thermometer in my yard read that), so this particular weather year has just been MEAN in north Central Texas.

Susannah, My DB lives in Carrollton, near you. Has postage stamp for a yard.
I'm sure he stays inside 24/7
Sidney

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Cloudy and dark this morning. That doesn't mean it is going to rain. It just means we're getting ocean influence, which we usually don't in mid summer.

Updated: 9:51 AM PDT on August 03, 2006
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
69 °F / 21 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 75%
Dew Point: 61 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 4 mph / 6 km/h from the ESE
Pressure: 29.93 in / 1013 hPa
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 1700 ft / 518 m
(Above Ground Level)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

It's been very hot and humid here, but we've not had much rain lately. There are thunderstorms moving through now - some nasty ones. I hope we get some steady rain. I knew I should have watered yesterday. LOL

Currently in Newark, OH (43055)
Severe Weather Alert
Temperature: 90°F
T-Storm
Feels Like 102°F
Dew Point: 76°F
Humidity: 63%
Pressure: 29.90 inches
Wind: From the South Southwest at 10 mph

Today: A chance of some strong thunderstorms. Storms may produce large hail and strong winds. High 88F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%. Tonight: Variable clouds with scattered thunderstorms. A few storms may be severe early. Low 68F. Winds NNW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

Here's the current radar. I'm coming to you live from the "b" in Columbus! LOL

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

HI ALL
well we have been getting some rain every few days, might get some today,sure hope so. this heat is awfull its 94 here today.
now with that storm comeing in we might get a little more.
im praying all you guys will start getting some rain and a little cooler weather,most places has been in the 3 digit numbers.
stay cool and safe god bless all
Eunice

heres my back yard but its further from house,poor old gopher is thirsty. and snakes there starting to crawl and find water had 2 where my air conditioner lets the water out.

Thumbnail by starfly
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

gardenwife,
I got a good ½ inch out of that line of rain in your weather radar post.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Eunice, I love your turtle!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

shower passed through - rained maybe three minutes - could have used alot more. 88.7, 65%

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

billyporter
i sure wished you had this thing, they have dug so many holes in my yard,and its against the law to touch them.i have them in all sizes. they dug under my apple tree and its almost dead

Dyson, that was just enough to make steam Huh?
;)

(Zone 3b)

starfly-another good thing about living in Alaska, is that we don't have those crawly-critters...no snakes, lizards, turtles, you get the idea...the thought of finding s------ks just gives me the shivers....why is it illegal to move the turtles?
Today's weather, at 2:30 pm:
Temp. 58
Windy and rain in the forcast. Fall is definately in the air; the leaves have the early stages of the "dry rattle" sound that accompanies the changing season.
kiska

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Indy, I hope we get more. The first and second waves just blew through and spit hard for a moment, then moved on.

Kiska, right now the click and rattle of fall leaves would be a welcome sound.

(Zone 3b)

gardenwife : sorry to send off such a good weather report in light of the hot and dry that so many of you have had...maybe that will change for you pretty soon.
kiska

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

gardenwife,
I got another ½inch just now and there is another thin line of rain on radar........it was a very good rain.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Starfly, the turtle is not a pet. Gotcha! You can't transport them somewhere else in the night? Or is that fighting a losing battle?

Homosassa, FL(Zone 9a)

kiska
boy are you lucky, no snakes at all?. they say there getting to be exstink (can,t spell it) but its hard far me to belive that.you can see them everywhere

billyporter
no your not even suppose to pick them up to move them,when we moved to where were at in country ,we was going to cut some trees down and there was some huge gopher holes,i called the game and fish control office and ask about the gophers, man they toled me if we let a tree fall, are if we dug up one of them we would be in big trouble.they came out to make sure we didn,t disturbe them.so there still here.i have wood frames around my flowers so they can,t get in there and eat stuff.cause they can,t clime over nothing.heres a link about them

sorry link didn,t work

This message was edited Aug 3, 2006 7:59 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.