white bugs on my false aralia?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I have attached the best pic I could get - these are on most of the centers of my false aralia
What are they and how do I take care of them?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by capt_insano
Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

nobody? is it a mealy bug infestation?

Hope so, because I sat the plant in the bathtub and sprayed it with Bayer Sytemic

Vancouver, BC

Looks like mealybugs to me.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Is there webs too?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

no, no webs at all - just these bugs

the largest were 1/4" long. The spray I used seemed to kill them all. Thanks

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

ohoh....definitely mealybugs....

I guess I didn't realize there was a Bayer systemic in spray form?
I hope your plant pulls through.

Those danged False Aralias have never given me anything but problems, so I have entirely given up on them.

If I recall correctly you only recently purchased this plant.

You might consider contacting the vendor to see if you can exchange it for a healthy one.

This message was edited Jul 28, 2006 1:22 PM

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

this aralia seems to be doing well in spite of the bugs - I will keep an eye on it, but it has produced some new tips all around the plant

I sprayed it again lastnight (per the instructions) and sprayed it off in the shower. I haven't been able to find any of the bugs today

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

Capt, would you mind tellin me the name of your Bayer product and does it list spider mites on the bottle? If it's safe enough for an Aralia it should be fine for hostas.

Thanks,
Debbie

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

"Bayer Advanced Garden"

it doesn't list spider mites specifically, but says that it kill mites and clover mites on contact

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I was curious about that too...."Bayer Advanced Garden" what?

There are several "Bayer Advanced Garden" products, such as 'Tree and Shrub'....'Rose and Flower'......etc...

Which specific product did you use?

Good to hear the plant still looks healthy and is growing.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Nan -

its the rose and flower version. The garden shop I bought it from said that it seems to be the best blend to use on Houseplants

The plant is still putting out new growth, as you can see by the lighter colored new growth in the attached pic

Thumbnail by capt_insano

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.