Pics of Pets by Plants (say that 3 times! lol)

Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

I had just added this marigold to the balcony earlier this summer and my kitty stalked it for about 15 minutes before getting the nerve to approach it. I'm not sure what she thought it was, but she wasn't going to let it get her!

Thumbnail by Ellianor
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

that is so funny! cats are sure curious about plants aren't they : )

kelly

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

That's a beautiful pic!

MsC

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

here is misty checking out this moses in the cradle after a rain.

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

Awwww, that's sweet :) She's so cute! How old is she? And I like that plant too!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

ellianor i have a baby one rooting if you would like it. she was born the thursday before easter. she is a sweetheart. i named her misty to go along with the other 2 cats. the other 2 are breezy and windy : ) she reminds me of autumn with her colors.

kelly

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

what is your cats name?

Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

I've seen things on this site about trading and cuttings and I don't understand how that works? Do people mail plants to each other? Your cat names are soooo cute! I didn't catch that they all went together until now. My cat's name is Missy.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Ellianor,
You can read through the trading primer to get a good idea of how trading works.
here's a link
http://davesgarden.com/trading/primer/

Basically to answer your question " Do people mail each other plants?"
YES, by priority mail....the rest you can get from the link.

Lot's of fun & cheaper than buying more plants. You make lots of friends too.

MsC

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

How can I resist. This is Pearlie. She was a flea bitten, mangey looking, starving kitten with an annoying nasal twang when we found her in town. She is now a furred out, fattened up beautiful cat with peach colored siamese markings, pale blue crossed eyes and an annoying nasal twang. She's a charmer and if I'm outside doing, she will be right there.

Thumbnail by podster

This is the Grand PooMah ~ Pookie Mae, my most photogenic cat. As she lays under the cannas she says "aren't I pretty?" Today is her 5th birthday.

Thumbnail by podster

And just one more... This is Pookie Mae making the most of the catnip... I had posted a great series of the catnip assault and you may have seen this one... A true action shot. Notice her back isn't moving but the head is rummaging in her catnip!

Thumbnail by podster
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

i am loving this thread!!!! such cute picts.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, MsC, for the link that explains how to trade plants. Good grief, I had no idea what a huge thing it all is!

Kelly, thank you for the offer to send me a moses in the cradle. I don't have anything to send to you, though, since I'm pretty new at this. Well, unless you're just itching for something as basic as a grocery store philodendron lol :) But it might not be a good idea anyway because I only have a balcony that receives a sliver of afternoon 103 degree sun. The rest of the balcony is shade all day. Oh someday to have a yard.... dream dream :) What light/heat conditions do the moses plants require?

Podster, what cute cats! The one of Pookie Mae attacking the cat nip cracks me up lol! I grow cat grass for Missy and she loves that. But I've never tried fresh catnip. I'll going to give that a try! I'm glad you saved your sweet cross-eyed nasaly twangy kitty...that was nice of you :) She's beautiful!

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

ellianor if you decide you want one i will send it for postage. it bleaches out in full sun does well as a houseplant. mine is a houseplant but spending summer on back porch under eve of house on stand.

kelly

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Lionel Foo saying "Holy Toledo, look at the size of that flower!"

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

what a big lovely cat! i love the markings on its face : )

podster...you know i have catnip planted and none of my cats even notice it. i put them around it and rubbed the leaves and they don't even care about it. i wonder why?

kelly

Kelly ~ I have read that only a percentage of cats have the catnip gene. Seriously. We have four at home and only Pookie Mae is a nut for it. We have another at work (the hurricane refugee) who also has a taste for it and will get feisty about it. I also have had different catnips that the cats will have different reactions.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Lionel will put himself in harm's way to get to catnip. There's a plant kinda tucked into the center of a big ornamental grass plant. The gophers got to the grass roots and I have pruned it back to to very spiky and dry nubs. Lionel sticks his face into that "porcupine" just to get a wee nip of the nip. I swear he's an addictive personality. If I sprinkle catnip on his scratching pad several days in a row and then stop, he attacks my feet every time I walk by it. And I've had cats that found catnip less interesting than dirt.

Back to the 'cats with plants' theme, again, these aren't houseplants (which I assume was the point of the thread since it's in the houseplant forum) but Lionel was hanging out with my favorite plants today.

Thumbnail by stellapathic

Pretty blooms and a pretty kitty although I suspect he wouldn't want to be called pretty... He is a favorite color. The orange cats seem to have personality plus....

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

seems the orange cats have the catnip gene : ) my poor catnip just sits outside wasting away. i cut and rooted some for a friends cat hmmmm i wonder if her cat like it. ii wonder if i don't have a good variety or my cats just lack the gene. i got mine at petsmart a few years back last year the mother plant died but i had saved seed and started more. maybe they lost something growing from seed????

kelly

Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

I love your big orange cat! The one of him by the big flower is really funny. Did you take that shot on purpose to make it look like the flower was huge or did it just happen that way?

Kelly, do your cats lack the catnip gene only for the fresh stuff? Or are also not interested even in the dried kind. Missy loves the dry kind... I'll be interested to find out if she likes the live plant.

Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

Kelly, I would like you to mail me one! Thank you! I think it would be fun to get a plant in the mail...I never have. I wish I had something to mail you. I've just gotten interested in foliage plants. I have a coleus and a caladium. Actually I have 3 different types of caladiums! But I think those are pretty basic. I'd like to branch out a little. Maybe later when I have some more interesting plants I can pay you back.
Well, how do I give you my address? Or do I need your address? I'm not really sure what to do.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Ellianor, I was taking pics of the brugmansia flower and Lionel was jealous of the attention I was giving it so he stepped into the shot. And if you click on Kelly's name (in blue) you'll get a page that asks you if you want to D-mail her. That's the way to send your address.

Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

here is misty after a storm came through today and knocked over our sunflowers and broke them. she looks like she is saying what happened to our pretty flowers!

kelly

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies
Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

Kelly, I just got your d-mail but don't have time to respond now... just checking in quickly because don't have any time. Thanks though! I'll get back with you.

And thanks, Stellapathic for the heads-up about D-mail.

And also, Misty is adorable!! Such a cute picture!!! I hope everything's ok after the storm... did it do any more damage? I wish it would storm here! It's been unrelenting dry heat for a long time now!

Well, gotta run...

Have a nice evening!

Some of you may have seen the blue bidet post... Pookie is giving it a "what now" inspection when I brought it home.

Thumbnail by podster
Roopville, GA(Zone 7b)

lol that is a cute picture.

as for storm here we got a good bit of rain that we needed sooooooo badly. our umbrella blew off picnic table even though it was in a iron stand and broke glass on picnic table. here are some picts of in it a.v. forum. also picts. of sunflowers down. we lost one tree that was rather larger that just snapped. we sure needed the rain though!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/632920/

Springfield, MO(Zone 6b)

Podster, Pookie's face really does look like, "what in the world???" lol :) What did you decide to plant in it?

You know, I spent the day looking thru garden centers and greenhouses. There have been lots of suggestions but I am more confused. Colors I like will probably stand up and fight with the blue bidet, like purple and yellow/gold. We are in a rural area and don't have a large variety of plants and this late in summer no selection for sure. I really am at a loss.

When she looked at the bidet, maybe Pookie was thinking "Hmmmm, something else I can drink from..."

Thumbnail by podster

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.