Vitex - Chaste Tree

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Can anyone offer any tips for starting a vitex tree from seed? So far I have not had any luck getting a seed to germinate.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

About the only thing a Chaste tree needs is around 90 days of cold stratification at 40º F - so put them in a ziploc baggy with moist perlite (or other soilless media) and let them sit in the fridge for 3 months. They are real easy to grow.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Seedlings pop up all over the place under mine--I can bring you a plant to one of the RU's if you want. They are also fairly easy to root from cuttings if "in-between" blooming cycles I've found.
Debbie

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

No wonder mine aren't germinating. I have them in my garage which is probably about 90 degrees or more right now. Thanks for the information.

Debbie - you are so kind to me! I would love a plant. I am still hoping to make it to the Nov. RU in CS. I will let you know if I cannot make it..... if not, maybe I can meet you in Houston somewhere.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sure Merae--I'm going to "rescue" it from bondage right now. It's an easy plant to care for in a pot and I will hold on to it for you. =)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.