Hell's Half Acre Garden Game

Phoenix, AZ

I know some of you are going through withdrawal being unable to garden in the heat. So would you be interested in a garden game to pass the time while waiting for cooler weather?

Anyone who has a "prize" can offer it. Anyone can participate. The prize can be anything even remotely garden related (seeds, seedlings, cuttings, peat pots, styrofoam cups, bag of bird seed, etc. - basically "garden related" will be loosely defined).

The object is to guess the prize by asking only yes or no questions. "Is it or does it have the potential to be a plant?" yes. "a flowering plant" no. "a vine?" yes. And so on.... "Is it a cutting from Rodica's non-flowering merremia vine?" YES!

Whoever correctly guesses the prize wins it! perhaps the prizes can't be distributed until fall at the swap but that's ok, isn't it? Or possibly mailed once it's cooler in case the winner lives too far to pick up the prize in Tucson.

Or is this too stupid for words? sam

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I like it - but I'm into games in general. We're going to get into chess here at home to pass these summer weekends. Let's see who else shows up for Hell's Half Acre Garden Game.

mm

Phoenix, AZ

I'm in!

Mesa, AZ

Me too!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Me too! Who's gonna start? Or do we each have a prize that everyone else has to guess? (Sorry if that's a stupid question...)

Phoenix, AZ

We are making this up as we go, Brenda! No stupid questions here!

I suggest that the questions have to be real specific. If I offer a 1 gallon baggie of perlite it isn't enough to ask "is it perlite?" I will respond "perhaps" which lets you know you are warm but not right on. If someone else asks is it a bag of perlite I would still say perhaps. It is up to the host/hostess of that particular game to decide when the question is absolutely correct. In this example you would have to guess is it a 1 gallon bag of perlite?

If you think you know the answer but know it isn't something you want you can either let someone else be the victor or you can win and just pass the prize along to someone else. Once one game is finished anyone can pop up with the next "I have a prize" and the game is on again. How's that?

Also, you can't ask two questions in a row. You have to allow at least one other person to ask a question before you guess again.

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 4:34 PM

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

sounds fun!

Phoenix, AZ

Let's take this baby for a test drive. We'll start with an easy one to work out any kinks.

I HAVE A PRIZE! LET THE GAME BEGIN!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Is it a plant?

Phoenix, AZ

no

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Is it a garden tool?

May I play?

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 7:21 PM

Phoenix, AZ

Is it organic?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I think anyone can play, fly_girl!

Phoenix, AZ

ok - maybe we are having our first problem. I posted no's and it only picked up the first one and didn't let me respond to fly_girl or tomatofreak. Let me try it again by prefacing my no with the person's name.

Phoenix, AZ

fly_girl - no (The no refers to your guess - not whether or not you can play! Anyone can!)

tomatofreak - no

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 5:46 PM

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Is it ornamental?

Phoenix, AZ

azreno - no

Phoenix, AZ

Is it made of clay?

Is it something that plants need?

Phoenix, AZ

TF - no

FG - no

Is it something the gardener uses?

Phoenix, AZ

FG - yes

Phoenix, AZ

Is it a shovel?

Phoenix, AZ

FK - no

used to clean up?

Phoenix, AZ

FG - no

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Something that goes on your body?

Phoenix, AZ

PP - no

Is it hypertufa?

Is it a trowel?

BT?

lol - not sure, but it might be organic!
I meant the hypertufa... but so is BT... oops
This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 6:30 PM

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 6:30 PM

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

is it fertilizer?

Phoenix, AZ

M - no

FG - no

PP - no

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 6:34 PM

Is it a lawnmower?

Is it used to protect the gardener?

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

is it a hose?

Phoenix, AZ

M - no

FG - no

PP - no

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 6:36 PM

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

This will keep us busy!

Is it a 1 gallon bag of perlite?

is it t used by both male and female gardeners?

Phoenix, AZ

B - LOL - no, that would be too easy. It also isn't a cutting from Rodica's non-flowering merremia. sam

FG - yes

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.