Need Help With Crossvine ID

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8a)

One of these is 'Tangerine Beauty' Bignonia capreolata.
In fact the blooms look exactly the same to me.
They do, however, have different foliage, and different seeds and seedpods.

Anyone know?

Thanks....
Emma

Crossvine #1 Blooms

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Crossvine #1 Foliage and Seed Pods

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Crossvine #1 Blooms, Foliage and Seed Pods

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Crossvine #2 Bloom

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Crossvine #2 Blooms

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Crossvine #2 More Blooms

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace

Crossvine #2 Foliage and Seed Pod.
Seed Pod is not as large as Crossvine #2
Also fewer seeds
Crossvine #2 Pods are VERY LONG and have many seeds per pod, maybe even 100.

Thanks for any help....
Emma

Thumbnail by EmmaGrace
(Jan) So Milw, WI(Zone 5b)

EmmaGrace:

you have dmail!

Jan

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i think its a Trumpet vine Regards paul

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

I, too, believe that it's a Trumpet Vine. Very pretty.

Erick

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Emma,
Here is a site that shows the leaves clearly of the Bignonia capreolata
http://perso.orange.fr/jj.baumann/jardin_sec.htm
and here is a site that shows the leaves of the Bignonia capreolata "Tangerine Beauty"
http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/08510e01e61cc962882571a9005a9153/8d425db8732a8be98825684d0070a209!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,bignonia
(you will have to click on the last pic to get it larger)
I think your #2 plant is the tangerine beauty.
Hopefully someone will come along that recognizes them from personal experience, but until they do, maybe these links will help you.
Good luck!
Donna

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Its the native crossvine in Texas Emma.
Debbie

Oh wow, all of this great information.

I've been away from Daves [not by choice] and am just now able to try getting caught up with all that is going on and then to find all of your great information!

THANKS EVERYONE for helping me figure this one out.

Emma

Dallas, TX

Debbie for the life of me I cant get my Crossvine to climb. Maggie gave it to me almost a year a go. I tied a string to it, wrapped t around a Bamboo pole an its stll down there. Now I'm thinking the Hyacinth bean and the climbing rose bush has it shaded out.

Bumping this Thread to see if anyone can help me figure out which vine is which.
I am still confused.
I have made three serious attempts at researching on the Internet, and come up with leaves on BOTH that I have photoed, and BOTH are referred to as the same name.
Can't be possible, can it???

Donna,
This link that you made reference to is like the leaves on one of the vines [Vine #1], but the blooms are different
http://perso.orange.fr/jj.baumann/images/jardin_sec/Bignonia%20capreolata%202004_0621.JPG

and your other link does look like Vine #2
http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/08510e01e61cc962882571a9005a9153/8d425db8732a8be98825684d0070a209!OpenDocument&Highlight=0,bignonia

Can they BOTH be Bignonia capreolata with the different leaves and seed pods???

Thanks so much,
Emma

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

Here is my crossvine. It is not a trumpet vine.

This message was edited Apr 11, 2007 6:41 PM

Thumbnail by Mimidi
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I had a hard time with Cross Vine myself. I took some pictures about a week ago in South Mississippi on a country road. ( See below.) This vine was growing wild in the woods. I found it in wild flower books at the time and in a pruning book. Unfortunately, I did not bring the books with me -- I am now at my home in New Mexico.
Anyhow, I found it hard to locate these in Plant Files. It looks like there are many variations of both. And yes, there can be some variation among species. I am not good at taxonomy, but I know the colors can vary within species and the variations are called varieties. Lots of the trumpet vi
Apparently Bignonia capreolata is called Trumpet Flower and Campsis radicans is called Trumpet Vine. Each has variations. Actually your Cross vine #1 doesn't look like either one to me. Cross vine #2 looks more like the one I photographed which I really do believe is a cross vine.
Try looking up "trumpet flower", then try "trumpet vine" on the common name line of the Plant Files search form. You will see varieties of both. Perhaps you will find both of your vines. Of course, I didn't see the seed pods on mine, but it seems to be a rather common form if you check the plant files photos.
When I looked up "cross" as the common name, I found lots of varieties of cross vine. There were also varieties of "trumpet vine"

This message was edited Apr 11, 2007 6:26 PM

Thumbnail by pajaritomt

Mimidi. . .
Thanks for your photo.
Can you tell me the name of your vine?
Your photo and pajaritomt's photo seem to be very similar.

pajaritomt. . .
Thanks for your help. I'm still searching.
The photo that you took, and Mimidi's photo look very much like yet ANOTHER vine right next to these two that has the same coloration with more Yellow on the lip of the bloom. I also have a photo of that vine, but will need to search for it.

These vines are actually growing on a long fence on the grounds of one of our Hospitals. I'm thinking when they had the vines planted that the #1 vine was planted by mistake along with the others of vine #2 as there is only one vine #1 and several vine #2's growing along the fence. Same with the vine with the coloration of your photos, I'm thinking that was also a mistake in that other vines were mixed in with the group to be planted when they did the landscaping.

Hope I figure it out soon.

Thanks to you both,
Emma

Dothan,, AL(Zone 8a)

My vine was sent to me in an exchange. The lady called it a Bignonia vine. Bignonia Capreolata--cross vine.

Thank you Mimidi. . . .
This is getting even more confusing

Emma

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I am going to try to help all of you solve this. I will give you the names of your plants, in the order of the pictures posted on this thread.

I think each of you are blinded by delight, that is, getting a little confused by similarity of flower shapes and some variation in flower colors. The primary difference, and easiest way for the layman to separate the two species, is by the foliage, which is not remotely similar.

PlantFiles may or may not have accurate photo information. I haven't perused it, but I will after this post and will report back.

The two species being discussed here also are easy to confuse via similar common names, so let's start with the Latin or botanical/scientific names so that we are all on the same page.

Bignonia capreolata is crossvine. It has a compound leaf with two (2) leaflets, that may look like two simple leaves hanging side by side.

Campsis radicans is trumpet vine. It has a compound leaf composed of 7-11 leaflets.

Some of the IDers above didn't reference which picture they were referring to. Some of EmmaGrace's pictures may have both plants intertwined in the photos. I will go right down the thread, numbering the pictures with the IDs following, based on the predominant foliage I can see.

Picture #1 Bignonia capreolata
Picture #2 Campsis radicans
Picture #3 Campsis radicans
Picture #4 Bignonia capreolata
Picture #5 Bignonia capreolata
Picture #6 Bignonia capreolata
Picture #7 Bignonia capreolata
Picture #8 Bignonia capreolata (Mimidi's)
Picture #9 Bignonia capreolata (pajaritomt's)

Clear as mud! I'll copy this over onto the Plant ID forum, too.

ViburnumValley . . .

YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE GENIUS ! ! !

Thank you so much for identifying all of these vines. I would never have guessed that one of mine was a Campsis radicans because of the Bloom coloration, but should have known better because the leaves ARE like the Campsis radicans that is native here, but those Blooms are a SOLID ORANGE. I have also seen the Scarlet Red Campsis radicans, but not in East-Texas.

Can you tell us what the 'Common Name' is for these vines?
Picture #8 Bignonia capreolata (Mimidi's)
Picture #9 Bignonia capreolata (pajaritomt's)

THANKS AGAIN VERY MUCH,
Emma

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

City_Sylvia,
I think your bamboo pole is probably too slick for the Cross Vine to stick to. If you look at the pictures I posted, the vine was growing on the rough bark of a pine tree. Perhaps that rough bark gave it something to cling to. Just a guess.

Emma:

If you are asking for simply the common name of Bignonia capreolata, it is crossvine in both Mimidi's and pajaritomt's cases. If you are asking for a clonal or cultivar name for their Bignonias, then you are asking too much.

Kidding.

Actually, unless their vines have markedly different flower colors than the normal for crossvine, then they probably simply have a species plant. In fact, pajaritomt's post states that the picture is of a wild plant in a roadside woods. Mimidi's looks to be the same.

Additional info:

•Bignonia clings by virtue of a clinging branched tendril (emerging from base of leaflets)
•Campsis clings by aerial rootlets (similar to poison ivy) that develop from stem between leaf nodes
•the seed pods of both species are similar in size
•Bignonia typically blooms earlier, and once a season
•Campsis blooms later and often repeatedly through the summer

Probably way more than anyone needs to know about these two related vines.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Actually, I found your post extremely interesting and it fit what I had learned from my wild flower books. Plant Files was a little confusing because one has to be good at searching to find all the possibilities. It took me a while to find out how many options there were in the case of both cultivars. Wildflowers of Mississippi set me on the right path from the beginning. Unfortunately, that book is still in Mississippi.

ViburnumValley . . .

Thanks for the additional information.
Did you make a typo regarding the seed pods?
Because, this is one of the differences that I pointed out that started my confusion, along with the Leaves being different.

Here are seed pods of
Campsis radicans
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2536969

and seed pods of
Bignonia capreolata
http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2536979

There are very few seed in the Bignonia capreolata pods and probably hundreds of seeds in one pod of Campsis radicans. Also the seeds are distinctly different.
I haven't looked at the PlantFile on these vines, but maybe I can add photos of the seeds and seed pods if they are not already shown.

Thanks again for your help,
Emma

You both are quite welcome; if you keep asking, I'm going to have to join this forum as a regular. That would be scary.

Not exactly a typo (regarding seedpods), but only as much information as I am confident to submit. I'd rather not post about something if I can't back it up with more clarity when inevitably questions arise. That is, unless I'm pulling your leg: see http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3319464

The range of size for the seed pods of each species overlaps, so I only stated "similar in size". Since one can be 3-5" long (Campsis) and the other 4-7" long (Bignonia), just mentioning size/length is NOT a good way to tell them apart. The pictures on this thread did not illustrate seeds or quantities of seeds, and I have not personally examined these characters for ID purposes, so I didn't comment on that either.

The written descriptions I perused for seeds for each species were not specific enough for me to offer a way to tell them apart if someone gave you a handful. Pictures of seeds bursting forth from their pods -- there's an image to present!

Where you know the pods were on which vine, yes, please post that information to PlantFiles. The quantities of seed you observed may or may not be useful, depending on whether this is a consistent trait that repeats from year to year and on more than one example of the species. It may also depend on whether there are other individuals of the species nearby. Some plants (like the genus Viburnum and the family Rosaceae) set higher quantities of seed if there is opportunity for cross-pollination amongst multiple individuals of the same species. I don't know that this is the case for Campsis and Bignonia, but I bet others may have spent more time looking at these plants and might offer their observation.

So many plants, so little sunlight (at least since late March).

Thank you again ViburnumValley . . .

I only continue to question the difference in the seed pods BECAUSE, when I was 'trying' to research this on my own, I could NOT find very much information anywhere on the web. I think only one reference to seeds, but I wasn't keeping great notes because my head was spinning....lol

Seriously, I was so frustrutated because there was NO detailed information regarding much on either, but then I was NOT researching Campsis radicans as I didn't have the first clue that one of these vines would turn out to be that species. So, sorry if I keep picking your brain for as much information as I can and this way I can hopefully make some good entries to the PlantFiles. If it is ok with you, I would like to show you what I end up with before I post anything to the PlantFiles. Pretty hard to undo something once it is done. Been there with Convolvulaceae species, and Terry has enough to do as it is.

I do still have other photos of seed pods that I'll need to locate in my hundreds AND hundreds of photos, plus, I can always get other photos before long of developing seed pods. The vines were just LOADED last week with gorgeous blooms and I didn't get one single photo either :-(. This was the first full flush of HUNDREDS of blooms. Now, our rains have the Blooms beat up pretty bad.

See, No seed pods posted on either of these
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56818/index.html
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/58823/

Thanks so much,
Emma

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

EmmaGrace,
You will probably have lots and lots of seed even with all that rain. If you collect them, I bet lots of people on DG would like to get them. I did find a commercial souce of the seed for only $2 per packet. See:

http://www.fosterfolly.com/home/Native%20Vines/index.php

There are several sources for the plants as well.

pajaritomt . . .

Thanks for the site, I don't think I've seen that one before.
I do have two vines of the 'Real' 'Tangerine Beauty' Bignonia capreolata that I purchased last year and will be planting them this spring. They are probably 3-years old. They too were LOADED with blooms to only be 3' to 4' vines.

I also have LOTS of seed of both vines.
If you would like any let me know and I'll be happy to send some to you.

Emma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.