Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: Need Help With Crossvine ID, 1 by pajaritomt

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pajaritomt

In reply to: Need Help With Crossvine ID

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Need Help With Crossvine ID
pajaritomt wrote:
I had a hard time with Cross Vine myself. I took some pictures about a week ago in South Mississippi on a country road. ( See below.) This vine was growing wild in the woods. I found it in wild flower books at the time and in a pruning book. Unfortunately, I did not bring the books with me -- I am now at my home in New Mexico.
Anyhow, I found it hard to locate these in Plant Files. It looks like there are many variations of both. And yes, there can be some variation among species. I am not good at taxonomy, but I know the colors can vary within species and the variations are called varieties. Lots of the trumpet vi
Apparently Bignonia capreolata is called Trumpet Flower and Campsis radicans is called Trumpet Vine. Each has variations. Actually your Cross vine #1 doesn't look like either one to me. Cross vine #2 looks more like the one I photographed which I really do believe is a cross vine.
Try looking up "trumpet flower", then try "trumpet vine" on the common name line of the Plant Files search form. You will see varieties of both. Perhaps you will find both of your vines. Of course, I didn't see the seed pods on mine, but it seems to be a rather common form if you check the plant files photos.
When I looked up "cross" as the common name, I found lots of varieties of cross vine. There were also varieties of "trumpet vine"

This message was edited Apr 11, 2007 6:26 PM