A few clumps of my grass :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Here's a shot from today. We've had some nice rain lately which is good!

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Another angle

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

A little closer

Thumbnail by hczone6
Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous! Thanks for the pics.

How about an ID key?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Most of it is miscanthus - various types. The really large one is giant miscanthus. Other than that, there's several types of switch grass, some indian grass, fountain grass and arundo. But most that's visible in these photos is the miscanthus

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Beautiful grass!!!! Thanks for taking the time to share with us. I don't think I've ever seen such a lovely "grass setting".

Judy

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

If anyone doesn't just love grasses after seeing that, well I just don't know...........

Thornton, IL

Very nice hc! You need some little bluestem, or prairie dropseed...:0)

Hartland, WI(Zone 5a)

Your grass bed is beautiful - any chance of you identifying them?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks. I probably can't ID each clump right now, but mostly it's miscanthus (the tallest one being the giant miscanthus), switch grasses (several types), northern sea oats, ribbon grass, feather reed grass, indian grass and fountain grass.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

It is so gorgeous. So much rich green. What a great piece of property you have there.

Hartland, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks - I'm considering the Miscanthus Giant for my garden; I have a friend who has it and it's enormous. Must be a great screen and pretty stunning being so large. I love the movement of grasses; I've got tons of them. I really should split them, but it's really hard. They're like roots of concrete - anyone have a splitting trick they'd like to share?

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

I use a long-handled nursery spade from Wolverine. The handle is tubular steel, and the whole tool is very heavy. I keep the blade razor sharp, and it'll cut through a 3" tree root on it's own. When necessary, I can pound on the top of the blade with a hand sledge, but usually, my weight is enough.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Split them when they're young, to get as many as you want. Much easier when they're young. We created a screen of the giant miscanthus getting 10 plants from the origional one, but I would not attempt to do it now. Or buy plugs for as many as you want. The other miscanthus are easier to split, but some of the big ones can still be tough.

hczone6-- any pictures from this year?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Nope, nothing yet this year. It's been extremely dry here all summer so some things don't look that great. The grasses are starting to get to the point where they look pretty good now though. I'm sure I'll be taking more photos before too long. Especially when they're blooming.

(Zone 4a)

A lovely setting.

Cool, peacefull.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ok, here's one from today.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Totally unrelated, but look who I found yesterday and decided to pick up for a few photos :)

Thumbnail by hczone6
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Very cool! LOL

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I really like your grass garden. I bet it is more beautiful in the fall when they are all blooming. Please post a pic of it this fall. Also love the praying mantis pic. Very cool too.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you. Sure, I'll be posting some photos when fall comes.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ok, a few more from yesterday. I finally got some rain, but it was more or less a teaser. I'm surprised anything is still alive that hasn't gotten any supplemental water! I see a lot of trees totally stressed and on the verge of death :(

Nikon D200

Ravenna Grass

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Bed

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Northern Sea Oats

Thumbnail by hczone6
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Panicum - Cloud Nine

Thumbnail by hczone6
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You take very nice pictures. And obviously grow great grasses. Thanks for sharing.

We've been in the same no rain situation. I am able to supplement the water, but it seems like every where I look needs to be watered, and I'm moving the water tower around constantly.

My grasses look great, though, perhaps a little shorter, maybe not quite as full, but still looking good.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Really great photos. I am glad your grasses are looking so good still. I hope you all get rain very soon!

Grand Junction, CO

You know, I think your grass photos will make Rick Darke jealous. Sooooo beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing again!

Franklin, WI(Zone 5a)

That is just lovely, and so inviting!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone. I do love my grasses! :)

Rockport, TX(Zone 9b)

How much work is it to have such a grass garden? It sure is beautiful.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

It's no work at all until maybe (for me) late winter when I cut it back. Lately, I've taken to using a chain saw for everything by the small fountain grasses. That makes the cutting down of the grass go from over two hours worth of work or more to about 30 minutes or work. Then it has to be taken back to the burn pile and burned. This stuff won't compost unless it's ground up. We don't have a shredder (yet). Overall, I'd say no more than 4 hours of work per year? Not bad.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks! That sounds pretty good. I haven't read much about grasses, but am thinking in South Texas, they wouldn't have to be cut back. Keeping other stuff at bay might be more the issue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.