Anyone got pics of frogs and toads?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have seen the green and brown from several times laely, it goes into the greenhouse. I got a pic of it outside, it hopped in as I was taking it's photo.

I have some baby frogs that look like this one that live around another greenhouse, I managed to get a pic of one which is not that good.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

The baby

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I also disturbed the toad that was living in the middle greenhouse while watering, I ran to get my camera and it was still there!

Pretty thing, it has a reddish-brown tinge.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Here's one I found this morning when I got up, he/she was in the sunlounge with nose pressed against the door, looking longingly at outdoors.

Thumbnail by sueone
Yorkshire,

We've had orange coloured frogs in our garden pond for a few years now. I took this photograph the other day and thought you might like to see it. The frog at the top of the picture is the one with the orange tinge, the bottom one is normal coloured. This isn't the deepest orange one we've had, they vary in shade. We don't see them all the time, sometimes months will pass without seeing one and then one will be sitting there amongst all the green ones, LOL

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Sue what a sweetie, it must have hopped in before night. I leave my greenhouse doors slightly open even with the colder weather, they are all occupied!

Every time I go to the one with the baby frogs they hop off the pots in front of it.

Terri, your frogs look to be happy in the water, I do wonder if mine go in the bath tub but I haven't seen them. I feel I should build them a proper pond! I wonder if the coloured one comes at breeding time, or perhaps it's water supply has dried up.

This is the same I think as I got before, I disturbed it while poking around.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Yorkshire,

I've been enjoying everyones frog and toad pictures so much, thank you all for posting them.
Yesterday I was thrilled to bits when I saw a tiny baby toad had set up residence inside my greenhouse at work. I've always wanted to have a resident toad and now I have :))
Wallaby1, I don't think the orange frogs appear only at breeding time. Yesterday we were moving some large plant tubs in our garden and found this little gang under one of them. As you can see, one of them is orange.
Terri

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

Here is another picture of the orange frog. He/she sat there for a bit longer than her two room-mates and I managed to take several pictures of her before she hopped away.

Terri

Thumbnail by Terri1948

The frog version of a beautiful redhead? I think it's a she, by the bulge I would think there could be more on the way!

Thanks for posting the pics Terri, it is rather nice to have resident frogs and toads. I went in the dark to close the greenhouse door a little, and one of the baby frogs was sat on the leaf of a hosta which I grew from seed, like a lily pad. I left the door, I leave them open a little so they can go in and out as they please.

I saw the big one in *it's* greenhouse on top of a plastic shelf stand, it hid behind pots so I put the camera above and took a shot, it thought I couldn't see it.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

You've all got some lovely frog and toad pictures. It's amazing how varied all the colours and markings are. I live in Yorkshire, but haven't seen any orange frogs, but I have noticed that the ones in my garden seem to change colour to suit their main habitat. The ones I find in the grass at the top of the garden are green and black and the ones in the small muddy pond are dark brown, and then again the ones in the large lighter pond are a yellowy-brown and black. Have your orange ones been sitting among the terracotta plant pots? - only joking!

Yorkshire,

LOL, Patbarr,
We often laugh about them being 'goldfish crosses' after seeing the frogs getting amorous with the goldfish at spawning times. They are so desperate to procreate that the male frogs latch on to anything that moves and the poor goldfish are no exception.
They can actually cling onto the fish so tightly that they suffocate them by stopping up their gills.
I don't really know when we first noticed the orange ones, but it was many years ago. Then about 3 years after we'd noticed them we saw some featured in one of the daily newspapers. We love them, they are quite a novelty.

That's an idea Terri, perhaps they are trying to look like goldfish. One year I kept finding a goldfish in a plant pot of water starwort, completely stranded in the shallow end of the pond and put it back a couple of times until I found it again with a frog in an amorous embrace with it in the pot again. It always seemed to be the same goldfish - perhaps it was a bit dopey and easy to grab.

Yorkshire,

Patbarr, that made me laugh so much, ROFL. It reminded me of that ols song, 'Froggie went a'courtin'. Only this time his girlfriend was a goldfish.
We'll never quite know how these creatures 'think' and obviously your goldfish liked being stranded in the shallow end, hahaha. Perhaps 'Froggie' had told her...'meet me tomorrow, same time, same place.' and then you'd come along and spoil everything. LOL.
Hope you're having a good weekend.

Terri

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I thought I should send this one!

Thumbnail by bonitin

Oh so funny!

It's got caught with it's mouth full! Thanks for the laugh!

Now I've heard it all, frogs and goldfishes! I wouldn't have thought it.......

Isn't there a joke about a wide mouthed frog, or is it toad. I won't try to tell it as I am extremely bad at remembering jokes. Very funny photo though.

Yorkshire,

Bonitin, I love the photograph.LOL
Is that a guilty expression, or is it my imagination?
Thanks for the giggle :))

Terri

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Can anybody confirm if this is a baby green frog ? I'm almost sure it is, because this is the first year my 3 green frogs became adults, and the toads have done with their offspring for this year and their tadpoles are black.

Thumbnail by bonitin
(Zone 5a)

Great photos everyone, I really enjoyed them! No frogs here so I can't help you identify the tadpole bonitin. They are really cute fellows!
rannveig

Impressive photographs!

I saw this little guy desperately trying to hop through the seemingly jungle size grass. It looks to be a young toad of some kind, not yet filled out and with small bumps, which I hadn't seen until I saw the pics.

There was the one with the reddish-brown tinge I posted earlier, the bumps on this baby look a little red, I am guessing it's the young of that one. It was about an inch long but was really struggling to get anywhere, it couldn't jump at all really but sort of flopped along!

The body has that deep, square edged shape, and the eye lids are a bright gold colour. I had a frog with that, but the mature toad does look to have a gold eyelid, and frogs are not normally bumpy.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

You can see how deeply entrenched it is in the grass!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
(Zone 5a)

Cute photos wallaby - yes he does seem to be lost in the jungle! :-)

Don't you think 'he/she' is very pretty? Look at those big black eyes with shiny old gold eyelids, it even has a sprinkling of gold dust around the bottom of the eyes!

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Orgiva, Granada, Spain

This european tree frog was chilling on my purple sprouting broccoli a few weeks ago

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g220/Biscombe/frog.jpg

The tree frogs are so sweet! But aren't they all!

I wonder if it was finding it's own form of dinner on there!

biscombe, do you get many frogs where you are?

Orgiva, Granada, Spain

No many like the stunning tree frog!! I hope the tree frog was tucking into the harlequin bugs that was plauging me this year!!
When we let our pool go for the winter its home for loads of frogs, they are really cute!! when they are croaking away in the pool they are sooooo loud, I love it!! Then when the warm weathye comes its frog rescue, we collect them and take them down to the river!!!!

It's good to have frogs and toads, I think they eat many bad bugs!

That must be quite entertaining to have them in you pool in the winter, will you take photos and share them with us later?

So do the frogs jump in the pool for winter cover, then can't get out again?

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

My next door neighbour has ivy growing up the back of his house........... in there is a Blackbird nest, that was being used this year................. since all the birds have gone now............. the frogs have decided to make it their home!! Now that is weird......................

Clever little things aren't they!

I have them living in the greenhouse for cover so I mostly leave the door open a little for them!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Went out in the dark, this evening and to my amazement, found this toad on the path, a bit thin looking, but quite lively.
It must be the abnormal mild temperatures (9 to 10°C) that woke him out of his winter sleep. In fact the weather is ideal for him, wet and dark.
Also the snails and slugs have been active during this mild winter, they even have crocus on their menu, even a little of snowdrop they don't despise, to my frustration.
But if the entire army of toads wakes up (and I really have a huge amount of them), the balance will soon be restored. (I hope).

Thumbnail by bonitin

The frogs have started coming out of hibernation here. I thought that the pond looked a bit stirred up yesterday and today I spotted several frogs swimming about so they must have disturbed the mud when they emerged.

The snow has nearly gone and it is mild again, so they probably think it is spring again.

Your toad looks quite healthy and not too thin. Perhaps he has been snacking on the slugs.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

No sign of live yet in my pool, hope every one is ok in there.

I thought the little toad looked rather thin, Pat, because, my toads, the young as well as the older ones almost always have huge bellies that stick out on both sides. But that must be because of the incredible amount of snails and slugs that terrorize my treasures.

This is a last year's picture that illustrate the 'normal' appearance of my toads, later on in the year. It was still a young one.

Thumbnail by bonitin

I think that one has toadally overdone it!

You are right, the first toad does look quite lean compared to that one. There must be hundreds of frogs in my garden but they don't seem to make much impression on the slugs. We don't have any toads now. There used to be lots when I was a little girl. One used to live in some variegated grass in a corner of the garden. I'll have to try to introduce some if I can find some toad spawn.

Froggies are a courtin': The pond is heaving with huge clumps of frogs. I tried to get a photo but they all duck down as soon as I get near enough to take a shot. The neighbours must think I'm mad creeping about behind the bamboo and tall grasses.

Anyway I have a photo of the first frog spawn in the small pond:

Thumbnail by Patbarr

And here are a couple who couldn't wait to get to the pond:

Thumbnail by Patbarr

And a very large female just about to enter the fray: She is a very bright colour, and there is another in the pond who is a lovely beigey pink with large black spots, but I can't get it to stay still for a photo.

Thumbnail by Patbarr

You must have lots of frogs Pat, I will have to look in my neighbours pond, but this is early isn't it? Such a loving couple there!

What a fat frog, I've never seen one so fat. I am thinking of putting in a small pond, although I have the drains at the front and a bath tub, frogs need a pond. I do have some frogs around, so I should give them a proper home!

I was cleaning up some leaves around the pots near the greenhouses on Wednesday, we had sun, and there was a mustard yellow frog I disturbed. I thought I may have damaged it but it hopped away when Ipicked it up, and I helped it hide in some leaves so I stopped cleaning leaves for now. I would have liked to get a pic but didn't want to disturb it again.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Beautiful pictures, Pat!
But that is really early for frogs!
No sign of life yet from mine. I saw one tadpole, some days ago, very fat,
that has survived the winter.
Last year, my green frogs had offspring rather late in the year, so the tadpoles didn't manage to get to the stage of frog.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.