Anyone got pics of frogs and toads?

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have seen a few more frogs and toads around the last two years or so. Toads live around my shady area where I keep my potted plants. There has been very little rain and the roadside drain has completely dried up, frogs are probably looking for food and shelter where it's damp.

I saw two huge frogs yesterday, one was green with some brown but it hopped to cover quickly when I was watering.

Later in the day I was slug hunting, looking under pots. There was a huge frog looking at me, sat in a pot (the frog!). It looked 'wet' and dark slatey grey, with an orange eye lid. I went for the camera, it hung around for a photo shoot! The flash went off as it was in the shade and you can't see the orange colour on the eyelid, but look at those hind legs! The last joint is all foot, toes are so long! The colour also is showing more khaki with a little brown. It was around 3" long.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This shot shows it's front toes

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'm always finding them in my flower pots, often watering them by mistake...not that they seem to mind.

they are always hopping around on my patio too, from one flower bed to another I assume...and in the evenings when I'm sat out on the patio you can hear them rustling around in the flower beds, they make quite a din.

I've never managed to get a photo though, by the time I've fetched my camera, they're long gone..

Love the photos though...seems yours is not camera shy..

sue do you have a pond? I only have a bath tub, but last year I saw baby frogs and toads on the bank behind it, there is a lot of moist cover for them. My neighbour has a pond and they have turned up there too, they seem to congregate there for breeding but he says that time is over. They need water and there is very little around.

They should be helping to keep down bugs anyway. I had 2 in the greenhouse last year, they would sit in the heart of my young tree ferns. I left a foil dish on the pot when I was collecting spore but decided not to bother, it got water in it and the frogs used it to cool off in.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Wallaby1

I am glad to share some of my pictures of frogs and toads.
My frogs are green and I have 3 of them living in or around my little pond. On hot summer nights like now they can make an impressive concert, which I enjoy very much.
So far I've got no complaints from neighbours, although they can be REALLY loud.

Toads I much have at least a couple of hundred, in all sizes.
When walking in my garden on a rainy day or late in the evening when they start their activities, I must really take care where I step.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 3:31 PM

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

another pic.

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Isn't he pretty ! Like an emerald jewel.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 3:35 PM

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

cosily together!

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

and now the toads

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

and a last one. This picture needs some explanation.
This toad is one of a family of four which have their permanent residence in a hollow concrete block which was left there cemented on the floor. One day I placed a little mirror in front of it in order to see them better. The effect was that this toad was very surprised, like you can see on the picture. I gave this picture the title 'self confrontation'.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2006 4:55 PM

Thumbnail by bonitin

bonitin, thank you for making my day! I am sat here laughing, your frogs and toads look so comical!

Fantastic shots! The green frog reminds me of 'Kermit'. Wow, fancy having a couple of hundred toads!

Please keep them coming! Anyone else have any?

This is a toad I saw in a plant pot one night while I was searching for slugs, it looks very fat and lumpy..

Thumbnail by wallaby1

bonitin your last pic is a real treasure! That would win a photo competition!

The toad does look confused, it reminds me of when my cat first saw herself in a mirror, she wanted to go behind to see where the other cat was!

I took this frog in October last year, it was sheltering under the grass tussocks at the top edge of the bank

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Thanks Wallaby1 for your generous compliments!
Besides the frogs and the toads, I also have plenty of water salamanders, but didn't manage yet to take a good picture, they are more difficult to approach.
I send one anyway which is not very sharp.

Your toad is indeed enormous! Must have eaten a lot of slugs!

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom

Hi wallaby,

Photo of my resident frog (two others seem to be more nomadic).

Thumbnail by prophetfive

You must have a real wildlife park there!

It is a good shot of the salamander, the face is in focus, the setting is perfect, and a slight off-focus on the background gives it atmosphere. You do take some very good shots! Are you sure you don't have a studio for them? (giggle)

I felt guilty when I found a lot of big slugs hiding in a pot, I scooped them up and took them up the road and dumped them at the bottom of the roadside hedge. Then I saw the toad, and found a small slug which I couldn't be bothered taking away. I put it on the pot, and shortly later it was gone. I don't know if the toad ate it, or it escaped. I then felt guilty for making the slug a dinner!

This is the frog couple cuddling in the tree fern last year.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Hi prophet! Gosh isn't it a beauty! Lovely blue eyes too! Fantastic shot.

Yorkshire,

Fantastic frog and toad pictures everyone. At work today I spotted the tiniest little frog as I opened the gate. At first I thought it was a fly, it was so small. I've taken a photograph of it but haven't had time to download it yet. If it turns out ok I'll post it here. Meanwhile I thought you might like to see this photograph of a frog sitting on my toad pond ornament.

Terri

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Terri that is a gem! Frog on a frog, good spot for it!

Please post the pic of the baby frog even if it's not that good, we would love to see it. If it's a total blurr then we'll let you off!

They are cute aren't they? The one I saw, and the baby toads, are only about 1/2" long. I saw a baby toad recently while cleaning the edge of a bed, it must have been sheltering under the grass edge. It was so small it could hardly hop!

Perhaps I should have said 'frog on a toad'!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Wallaby1

I don't have a wildlife park! Just a tiny town garden of hardly 100 m2 which I managed to transform from a dump (like it was when I arrived) into a mini heaven for all kinds of wildlife, fauna and flora. The garden means an endless source of inspiration for me as a nature painter and photographer.
I have more pictures of toads and frogs which might be interesting although they were not taken in my garden but in a reptile zoo located in a coast town of Belgium (Blankenberge). I was dumbfounded by the most fantastic and endless creativity shown in natures creatures. The circumstances for taken pictures were not ideal because of the glass they were behind, so some of them are not very clear.

This one looks a little mean and bad tempered, doesn't he ?

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 4:55 PM

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Looks well fed !

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

These 'naked' frogs live in dark waters in caves. They look a little creepy to me !

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

A toad!!

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

This frog with little horns lives in tropical areas where there is constant water vapour in the air, so the picture is somewhat blurred!

Thumbnail by bonitin

They are very good photos, perhaps the green frog is sad because he's not outside. The brown one does look well fed, oh I wonder what they feed them on!

If you have any more please show us them.

You must have a terrible time tip-toeing through the toads in your garden!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

This one looks kind-natured to me.

Thumbnail by bonitin

Oh wow! The toad looks like a pumpkin!

Scary horned frog, it's very strange. Even it's face is pointed. Strange eyes too under the horns. Horror movie stuff!

The last one looks like it has fungii patches growing on it, perhaps in nature it lives amongst wet decaying wood.

Nature never ceases to impress!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Daring colour-combination !

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I have more interesting ones, but they are from other kinds of reptiles than frogs and toads.
Should I send them anyway ?

Oh how pretty! It looks like a yellow and black scuba diving outfit!

Go ahead and post them all, wouldl ove to see them!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Here come some more !

Afternoon siesta !

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Brrrr....

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Forgot it's English name ..

Thumbnail by bonitin
Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

And the last but not the least this handsome fellow !

This message was edited Jul 23, 2006 6:26 PM

Thumbnail by bonitin
Yorkshire,

Fantastic pictures Bonitin!! That's the meanest looking frog I ever saw, looks like he's saying...'Get that camera away from me', LOL.
Thanks for your comments Wallaby, that seems to be a favourite perching place for all the frogs, sometimes there are 3 or 4 sitting on 'Toady'.
Speaking of toads, here's the picture I took today, this little guy was so tiny.

Thumbnail by Terri1948
Yorkshire,

More little froglets 'metamorpho..whatsit-ing' in the pond. I took this photograph 4 days ago.

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Is that a young crocodile bonitin? A very good photo. The green one could be a gecko?

The handsome fellow could do with some skin cream! Brilliant line up of pics!

Terri is the tiny one a toad or a small frog?

What a lot of metamorphs! You wonder what they live on. You will have frogs everywhere, they will eat your bugs.

Hello Bonitin and a welcome back to Terri1948!

Great images here!

Since we cleared the front garden earlier this year the frogs have been less visible, I've not planted the new pond up yet so that could be preventing them. You can hear them plop heavily into the water at night in the back pond though but no piccies of them so far.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Wallabi, I looked up the name of the green creature; it's not a gecko but an iguana.

The crocodile had about the size of 2,5 m, so I guess it was still a young one but not the lesser frightening!

Thanks a lot Terri for your praises, I like your stone toad especially the weathered and mossy look of it and an appreciated sitting place for your frogs!

This message was edited Jul 25, 2006 2:49 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.