What is wrong with my palm>?

Visalia, CA

I bought this palm out of someones yard, when I saw it I had to have it. It was infront of a historic home and after speaking with the people they said it had been there for the 35 years they had been there and really had not grew much in all that time. Is this a jelly palm or what? It was in the shade and against a house, the leaves were long and kind of bent but did not have sefinate curve to them.
My dad and I after one heck of a time finaly got it into my back yard and planted, that was 5 months ago now. Couple wierd things though...
First it has grown, really grown. I thought it would die back a little or something but in the time at my house it has grown so much it is all new growth, it has none of the fonds left from when we moved it. Thought that was odd.

Second, the leaves are shaped wierd, they have a "Z" shape at the end. Again the people I bought it from said it had always been like that as long as they had lived there. I tried to take some ictures of it, any comments? Does my tree have a birth defect or something?

Thumbnail by xcrytonx
Visalia, CA

Another picture, its been trimmed up since this picture.
Tree is about 18 feet tall and a white/blue color.

Thumbnail by xcrytonx
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

That must have taken some effort to haul that to your house. Thats a Butia alright. The 'z' shaped/folded leaf tips are a sign the bud was damaged (possibly in the move or by something that got into the bud before (tap water, insect damage, fungus etc.) but it's obviously growing out of it, and future leaves will have less or none of that my guess is.

Visalia, CA

Thanks for your responce palmbob! When I got this tree it as over grown and all the leaves were like this, even the dead ones. Again the owner said it had been growing like this for as long as they could remember. Is it odd that it would always do this?

Galveston, TX

Im certainly no expert and your pics arent the greatest to see the details but, you might try looking at this if every leaf, old and new alike are this way..

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP264

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.