Flowerbed photos 5 a continuation...............

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Funny thing about me with hostas, mickgene I love them so much I pretty much put them wherever I want. In that little garden I probably have planted about 6 hostas, I don't remember what their names are, but they have tolerated the sun very well. Of course, I water it like crazy. I have an Allen P. McConnell tucked in here. It has survived being crushed by tree cutter trucks and asphalt being dug up and laid. What a little trooper. Here is a pic. BTW it is my all time favorite hosta.

Thumbnail by buckimom
Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is another view, we don't see unless we are sitting in the swing. We spent last evening laying the sod where part of an old driveway used to be. Give me green any day. LOL

Thumbnail by buckimom
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm with you there, Jacci.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Tabasco, I would say the acid helped, as we have one now over 12' growing next to pines and cedars and it is 6' higher than the others planted in a less acid soil. All are planted on the south side of our house. The fence behind it is 7'. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Patti, that's a great picture, but I scrolled waaaaay up and I can't figure out what you're talking about.

xxxxx, Carrie

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Gemini_sage, I forgot to tell you I how covet your lily Red Hot. It will have to be on a fall order. I love that one called Honeymoon, but I fear mine was one eaten by a bad bunny. My favorite garden ornament didn't catch the culprit. Thanks for the teaser, Mickgene. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Carrie, it is the huge oak leaf hydrangea behind the red daylilies ( id, anyone?) see tobasco July 12 10:50. Thank, Patti

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Now I get it: Thanks: I'd appreciate that ID as well! I adore that color.
xxxxx, Carrie

Mifflintown, PA(Zone 6a)

Nice patti/ also love that red dayliliy. Dixie

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

bbrookrd, I have similar garden ornaments that never catch the bunnies, either. But I think it's the ornaments that do more damage in the chase than the bunnies do all day. I have one poor tiger lily that was nearly cut in half a few weeks ago but was still holding on by a thread, so I left it. It's the first upward-facing tiger lily blooming on in history now! LOL I need to get a pic of it today.

At first I thought that red daylily might be Red Volunteer, which I fell for in lincolnitess' pics last year. But looking at the plant files, I don;t think it's quite right.

Here's my favorite red, Ruffled Ruby. It has been a real eyecatcher this week.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Mickgene, I do think Ruffled Red is close but not quite it. I just ordered a mess of new reds for me on the coop that just started. Always looking for a new favorite. The dogs (2) have caused havoc on many occasions, but I wouldn't be without them ( I never had a plant cuddle with me on the couch!) Here is the other one.Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

bb, I love your doggy garden pics. Great combination!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Mickgene, Ruffled Ruby is gorgeous! (my mom's name was Ruby).
Patti, I'm sure your furry friends are worth losing a few plants. Give 'em a pat on the head for me!

gram

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Cute dog, Patti!

I finally have a couple of cannas blooming on the fence around the vegie garden, with some rudbeckia and a couple Persicaria 'Firetail' peeking over from the other side of the fence.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Lilies and perennials in the cottage garden:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

More:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
somewhere, PA

Yum.

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Phlox & lilies...love their fragrance.

Thumbnail by cicada
Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

Crinum....love the spidery petals.

Thumbnail by cicada
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, such great combos and pictures! I wouldn't know where to start in commenting on all of them, but I'm inspired. I'm also excited that my little bed under an ornamental cherry is finally coming together. I started by inheriting some old roses (don't know what they are) and a ton of ground cover. Little by little I added things sort of mishmash. I think my garden style is ADHD. I buy plants and then try to figure out where to put them. :)

But this spot is working well, I think, with a Sun Flare floribunda rose, Casa Blanca and Stargazer lilies, and Aglaia shasta daisies. I just added a couple of Speedwell today.

Thumbnail by winging
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, it looks lovely! Welcome!

My husband buys things on sale at HD, I either veto them or figure out how to work them in. Last fall >> winter we made a new bed and my DH planted all these perennials with my instructions "this might get tall, put it near the back" "this one creeps, put it in the middle front near that other one" but nothing was blooming or even alive at the time. So we planted lots of dormant rootballs. Now, of course, I want to change everything. LOL

xxxxx, Carrie

Mystic, CT(Zone 6b)

I planned a circle garden last year with pics from garden catalogs, and everything all perfect in my mind's eye. Planted all last fall and spring. Now I am wanting to rip half of it out. So it doesn't help to plan.....at least for me!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the welcome. I'm finally getting to the point where I feel okay ripping things out or moving something. I guess plans need to be flexible to work best, eh?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My DH says I have buyer's remorse about everything. Well, I order clothes mail order and I don't know if the're going to fit or match or whatever, so I send a lot of things back. I buy plants, bulbs and seeds mail order, and he just plants things willy nilly so I always want to rearrange things. Like he plants things in straight lines and they should be in clumps! That's not buyer's remorse, it's more like adding salt and then enjoying it, or deciding which shoes go best with which clothes!

xxxxxxx, Carrie

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Mary, what's the variety on that miniature hollyhock? It sure is pretty.
Mickgene, I have Ruffled Ruby too and it's gorgeous. I have one red that I think is even prettier, though. It's Dragon King. Not an expensive one. Lots of ruffles, green eye and it blooms and blooms and blooms and blooms.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Dragon King, huh? (off to Plantfiles!)

xxxxx, Carrie

Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

in early July I have a amaryllis that peeks out from under the Black Magic EE. One day the EE will be so massive that they will overtake the amaryllis.

Thumbnail by corgimom
Pontotoc, MS(Zone 7b)

the side entrance to one of my daylily beds is just a mixture of perennials and annuals

Thumbnail by corgimom
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

corgimom, that amaryllis is looking a little overwhelmed LOL. your shy little girl is very sweet...looks like one of the Campbell's soup kids :-)

gram

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I adore the shy little girl - I have a garden I call The Children's Garden because of all the statuary (in fact, I have so many I had to expand into a second area).

The Elephant Ears are awesome - love seeing the amaryllis peeking out!

I just popped into this thread and am enjoying all the photos - great gardens and obviously great gardeners!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

It was July 8 that I posted the last pic of my new garden, wow 3 weeks, how time flies.
It has filled out nicely. The white Liatris are happy and the annuals add some color.
The lawn is thick, too.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper

What a serene setting - you've done such a nice job. Our grass got burnt up during our recent high heat (unusual for this area), but will come back. It has drizzled a bit today so I have high hopes!! And I mowed the weeds yesterday!

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Hey Andy, That is coming along quickly!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow, Andy, 3 weeks sure does make a diff. the liatris adds to the nice cool feel.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks. So far, so good.
You may have noticed the soaker hose, that's a hard spot to water.
I haven't lost a single plant yet. Next season it should shine.
The Day lilies will flower I hope. There are Dwarf Balloon flowers, Primrose Misourienses, Heucheira Purple Palace and Columbine in there. Some Hens & Chicks are in the front corners where it's extra dry.
The center will get some variegated hosta this Fall.
Not bad for 10 dollars. LOL
Andy P

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

All of your summer garden pics have inspired me to keep at it in this heat and humidity! So thank you very much! I have loved lurking on the thread enjoying all the summer bloom!

Here is a pic of our front walk garden that we have been working on for a couple of seasons...it's part sun, part shade, and every time we trim a tree the light changes so it has been a challenge for us to move plants around to the right spots. We planted it with daylilies, heucheras, hostas, bellamcanda and hardy geraniums.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Very, Very lovely, Tabasco. What a pleasant and welcoming walkway.

I've been snapping pics of the yard and gardens lately, rather than individual buds (and bugs).
This was taken from the back door.
Andy P

The table and chair move with the shade. That's my sidekick Sarah.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2006 7:28 PM

Such a treat to see such lovely gardens from all over the country, including the eastern side of my own state of WA. I envy the large yards with lots of trees - my house was built at the very back of the property and we can't have any trees that would block a neighbor's view so I have to try to just give the feel of heighth. Love the curved walksways, delightful combos, bright colors, etc., that you all have shared.

I'm including a picture from my "Frog Garden" (named for all the frog statuary, not live residents, unfortunately!) taken June 25th. This garden runs along/under my deck and I've had a lot of fun with it.

Thumbnail by Murmur
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is a 6 year old flower bed to the right of the pic above. It has had it's sun/shade changes too.
It's mostly perennials with Dahlias and annuals for fill. Lots of volunteeres come and go fast in here. I have wild Daisies that come up and flower in June that I yank out after they flower. I filled one such void with the Dahlia 'Bishops Children' in the foreground. It will be tall enough to be seen over the dog fence.
Andy P

And here is the same little garden on July 9th (the Astilbe are done blooming now, although I haven't cut back their blossoms).

Thumbnail by Murmur

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.