Flowerbed photos 5 a continuation...............

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

That's really the funny part, that she considered it "dirty" but then repeatedly scolded you for it... if she's like some of the older people I know, she probably just looked at you and said (kind of under her breath) "rooster" and then chuckled and did the head shake. Am I right?

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Our favorite little garden in the backyard, we call it the butterfly bush garden. The black eyed susans are really growing this year.

Thumbnail by buckimom
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

buckimom, that is so sweet. what a lovely little island. and the little ornaments set it off perfectly. do the butterflies & hummingbirds love it?

gram

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Badseed, good story. Rooster, lol.
Andy P

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

DAnceyTx, gardenergail, and carrielamont, thanks for the complements on the pot. I can't take credit for making it. I bought it at an auction last fall thinking it was more garish than I'd really wanted (and intended to make myself but never got around to it). But the price was right and I love it with the succulents in it. I'd expected to have just foliage colors to play off the bright mosaic but then got surprised by those roosters! (They'll get you every time. ROFL) Good one Badseed.

grampapa, thank you for the info on the blooming hens. They have definitely left behind plenty of chicks.

somewhere, PA

I got a really cool dianthus at the Morris Arboretum plant sale this spring. Its Dianthus Japonicus.
I've never seen it for sale before. The folliage is very shiny & pretty. The flowers were a bonus.
Here's the three I planted under a beauty berry bush.

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Close up of the folliage & flowers

Thumbnail by Tammy
Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Dear Grampapa,
We get quite a bit of activity at the hummingbird feeder. The one little sign at the bottom left reads "All the world's a garden". Isn't that fun? When the blackeyed susans really open up I will post another pic. In that little space I think I have about 20 to 25 plants. Jam packed for sure, but I don't have to weed very much. The area to the left is going to have sod in a few days. There had been a section ofdriveway there until we had the new one put in. I said a bigger yard would be great not a bigger driveway and it is going to happen. Yippee.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

buckimom, I like your little sign! please do post another pic when your susies bloom :-)

mickgene, you're welcome ps love the pot, too

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I am so excited! I received several of the wrong lily bulbs and thought I didn't get 'Tom Pouce'. But as you can see, I got it! I love it. Nothing like actually seeing a lily for yourself. I couldn't get an exact photo since the sun is shining so bright, but it's close.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

I thought I posted this earlier today, but then the power went off momentarily and I suppose the transmission was interrupted.

This photo is of a border I built along one side of the driveway.
I was saying that I am quite hooked on Asiatic lilies, but this being only my 2nd year growing them I don't have that many. I show here "Coral Sunset" and "Agrippa". They are growing among Japanese anemones. Behind them the pink larkspur is fading and one-year-old Russian sage is just starting to get some height. In the way back I have pink Silene and Coreopsis "Crême Brulée". The tall foliage in the middle, more or less, is Phlox paniculata "David" and "Eva Cullum".

Thumbnail by missgarney
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

missgarney,
Wow! What a beautiful garden you have there.
Sherry

somewhere, PA

Amen! That's glorious MissG.

Tam

Bay, AR(Zone 7a)

Beautiful!

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

missgarney, lovely mix of colors.

Sherrygirl, I, too, am waiting for Tom Pouce to show his face for the first time. I hope he gets here soon!

Here are my favorite areas that are quite full of some unspectacular plants. But I love the colors. The picture is taken looking downhill so don't get dizzy! These 3 pictures join together right to left. The first is primarily liatris and what daylilies that may be Kwanso. There's a Basye's Purple rose that is only in its second year so you can see just one lone blossom peeking out. In the second there are echinacea and an Indigofera amblyantha on its way out above a 'Honeymoon' lily and grwoing amidst a 'Black Knight' butterfly bush just starting to bloom. The 3rd shows a small Hydrangea 'Dooley' that's doubled its flower count to 2 this year! There are echinops yet to color up and lots of other perennials still 'developing'.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

2nd:

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

and the 3rd

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Here's a close-up of the 'Honeymoon' lily you could just barely see.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Ooops, looking at your pretty lily pic made me think I posted the info about the Lily Co-op opening today on the old perennial bed thread.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/625194/

FYI Bloomaholic is doing a Lily Co-op for the first 40 posters and it opens today, for those of you who are looking to fill in your perennial borders.

Cullowhee, NC(Zone 6b)

mickgene, I really like the mix of foliage I see in the first photo.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Thank you for pointing that out to me, missgarney. It's an aspect of design that I need much more work on; but I'm glad to see it here, now that you've pointed it out to me. If I don't even notice it in my own garden, I guess I need more work than I'd actually realized! :)

mickgene--I enjoyed studying your border photo sequence and love your plant groupings. (I wish I had planted more liatris in my sun garden but there's always next year!)

And missgarney, I like the way your lilies brighten up your edge border. Lilies are fairly new to me, and I haven't planted asiatics before at all.

I have been working on my front walk garden this year and I'm finding it too challenging for me--part sun-part shade-lots of shadow-deer and all other critters--but I am plugging along trying plants and then ripping them out (or they die). All with an eye for 'color echo-ing, which doesn't often work out. I want it to look nice because it's right at our front door.

Below is my latest pic of this corner garden. It was looking OK until the hydrangeas decided to turn from white to rose-mauve sooner than usual! I think I need a focal point like a nice fountain in place of the crab apple tree, but can't seem to gather the courage to yank out the tree or buy a fountain. Instead I fiddle with the details.

Needless to say, I am finding this thread most interesting and I'm studying each pic with a magnifying glass to see what works for everybody! So thanks for posting!

daylily 'dublin elaine', h. geranium 'rozanne', oakleaf hydrangea, ajuga, hosta, clematis...a little jumbled but I'm trying!

Thumbnail by tabasco

I have these orientals from Scheepers in pots at the front door.

Thumbnail by tabasco

I grew these lilies (from Scheepers oriental collection) in pots for the front door.

Thumbnail by tabasco
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Mick & Tobasco, Nice photos!
Mickgene, don't underestimate your subconscious garden designer (I have nothing on the conscious level but take credit for any subconscious "mistakes")

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow! So many great pics!
missgarney, I'm especially fond of your well color coordinated border. Masterfully done!

mickgene, lovely assortment of colors and textures and well arranged too! Honeymoon is very nice.

tabasco, your corner garden looks great! Love the way the hydrangea matches the brick color.

Sherrygirl, your pic of Tom Pouce glows- just beautiful!

I've just come in from compulsively moving blooming clumps of daylilies and phlox. The colors just were'nt working and I could'nt stand it anymore. The good thing is I already had a garden bed prepared for them, where the colors will suite the pallett well. This is part of the bed I've been moving things out of; I'm trying to keep the colors somewhat firey. This is a group of Lilium 'Red Hot' by the path of that area. They're near the path where I can sniff as I walk by :)

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
somewhere, PA

Neal - LOL. I just moved daylilies around Sun to get the color sequence right!

Mickgene - I love your plantings! I notice you've got an aerisema in the #2 shot?
The folliage is magnificent. Am I right?

Tobasco - that picture of your plantings is lovely! The crisp white edgings on the
hosta and all the interesting contrasts & texture. Just lovely.

Tam

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Have you all had particular problems getting the colors right with daylilies? I'm ready to start planting them in the veggie garden the first year so I can know for sure. None of my pinks are truly pink. Very pretty shades of peach, salmon, and pinkish apricot that I'm glad to have, just not in my pink garden. I do like the mauves and plums in the pink garden, but are there any truly (bubblegum or cotton candy) pink ones?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

gemini_sage, I know exactly what you mean. My 'Strawberry Candy' just bloomed for the first time. It's really pretty, but not really pink. Although other people have mentioned that theirs have been more true to the pink color after several years. We'll see. From across the yard it almost looks orange. This pic really captures the true color of the blooms. I have it in my pink & purple fairy garden. And I was trying to pick out a complementary daylily to plant with it and just can't find anything. I think it may have to move.

gram

Thumbnail by grampapa
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

gram, that looks just like the strawberry Candy I put in last year. Very pretty, and I'm going to love it in my bed of tropical-fruity colors. Do you have any purply-mauve ones in that garden?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

A DG friend is sending me 'Purple Pawprint' and it's going right in the other side of that bed. Then I think I'll get a deep purple to go with it. Your bed of tropical-fruity sounds like the perfect place for straw. candy. I really do love it, but not the pink I was hoping for.

here's a link to a thread in the Northeast forum with a lot of pics of daylilies...might find a nice pink there. or better yet, go to the daylily forum and ask there for advice on a true pink.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/624053/

gram

This message was edited Jul 12, 2006 6:32 AM

somewhere, PA

Here's the sequence I did with my daylilies. I planted them last July when most of them
were in bloom. I had to move a few around this last weekend but I'm pretty happy now
with them. I think they are adjacent to colors fairly compatible and so work. But I get quite
a few pinks and am mixing with yellows & reds. I think since they are all the daylilies
it was perhaps easier to mix? But there are lilies too and they are just a random planting
of several Van Engelen mixes.

Tam

Thumbnail by Tammy
somewhere, PA

Sorry - not a great picture is it! I'll try to take a better one - I should have checked it full size before
posting it. (In my mind, it was a good shot of the row of daylilies. Oh well)
Tam

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

tabasco, don't worry about the low number of liatris. If you let them go to seed each year, you'll have plenty for you and anyone you care to share with. Saturday I tore out at least 1/3 of mine and DH replanted them down in the drainfield where we've repeatedly and unsuccessfully attempted to create a meadow. I started with 12 corms 4 years ago and they densely covered an area about 6' square before I removed some.
I can't believe your hydrangea blossoms have already turned. Mine are still bright white. I've waited 5 years to get blooms like this on them and so happy we finally had a mild enough winter to help them out.

Dave47, I'll happily take your advice.

Tammy, yes you're right. That's one of the volunteers I have. We have many in the woods around the house. So I think the builder just didn't bury it deeply enough when he turned over the soil in the cleared areas - thank goodness!

gemini_sage, I tried to address that daylily color problem this week by buying a dozen of them in bloom. But after being halfway home from NC with them, I realized how much exposure and soil will influence their color and they may not look the same in my garden. So it may be back to fiddling with them after this year! Oh well, that's gardening!

grampapa, I have had peachy Strawberry Candy daylilies for 3 years and finally, this year they're much more pink. Especially the ones I don't have right next to Dragon's Eye, which is truly, truly pink.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Strawberry Candy on the right with Dragon's Eye out of focus on the left

Thumbnail by mickgene
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

mickgene, thanks for the comparison. and your point is well taken on how local conditions will influence the color. I think straw. candy stays where she is for a while until I see if she 'pinks up'

I've just recently taken an interest in oakleaf hydrangea. think I have a spot picked out where one might do well. I was interested to see how others are using them.

Enjoying everyone's pics. One thing I've decided. I need more lilies.

Piqua, OH(Zone 6a)

Here is a pic of the butterfly garden. The susies are really showing off today. LOL

Thumbnail by buckimom
Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi, buckimom. they sure are! I'll say it again...that is one the prettiest little gardens I have ever seen. I finally got a hummingbird visiting yesterday :-) I hung a potted fuschia next to one of my feeders and this little hummer liked the fuschia, but not the feeder.

gram

gem-- I know what you're saying about moving plants around. My phlox are spoiling my color scheme all over the place! And I thought they would be so lovely...

The Oakleaf Hydrangea are blooming away here. The first year we lived here we had no bloom on them (3 springs ago), now they bloom like crazy. I wonder if it's the doses of acid fertilizer I have given them? They say they make great cut flowers but I haven't brought them inside.

I'm getting more lilies, too. I lost about half my crop to deer this year, but it's still worth it.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

buckimom, I know what you mean about the Rudbeckia. I noticed as I came downstairs this morning that the hill behind my house is shwing more of them than daylilies this morning. When your Buddleia blooms, that color scheme will be vibrant! Does the hosta have shade from the buddleia, or is it tolerating the sun?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.