Weeping Fig

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

I took a cutting from a huge weeping fig tree at work, and tried rooting it. All but one large leaf fell off, but now it has new growth on it after about a month or so after I put it into the pot. I've counted three new leaves so far!

Thumbnail by candace101
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Oh, weeping figs or so fun because they just live on, they look dead but then new leaves start sprouting from nowhere! Good job Candace!!

xxxxx, carrie

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Is a weeping fig Ficus alii? I've never heard them referred to as weeping figs but it sure fits. Mine went through major trauma in the move to my new place but it's really putting out the new growth now, after almost a year of being here. Lucky you Candace, they're wonderful trees.

Oshkosh, WI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Carrie and Stellapathic!

This plant as more new growth on it today. The tree I took it from is over 7 feet tall. We do have to prune that one every year to keep it manageable, but it seems to adapt well to wherever we have to move it to. I hope this cutting does as well as that tree!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

The cutting start is Ficus benjamina(aka weeping fig)

Al

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

FYI: the reason for the nickname "weeping fig" is just that, their propensity for dropping their leaves. This is because their leaves are quite sensitive to changes in the amount of light. For instance, a ficus b. grown in a greenhouse and adjusted to many hours of bright humid indoor light will have thinner leaves because these are adequate to nourish it in that environment. When we bring it home suddenly to a colder, dryer, dimmer home, the thin leaves aren't sufficient any more, so it [cleverly] drops these useless leaves and starts growing a whole new set of thicker, heavier leaves to deal with its new environment. Did I get that right, Al?

The last F. benjamina I bought was some kind of new cultivar called "the best" or "magnifico" or "specialler than all the rest" or something. I asked about it and was told it had been bred not to drop its leaves. I didn't notice any difference - it dropped all its leaves anyway. The standard advice is not to make changes suddenly, but I've always thought that just made the leaf drop less drastic.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Expect Ficus b. to exhibit leaf loss when exposed to periods of chill or to decreasing exposure to light, either duration or intensity. Drought response is also exhibited as shedding of current flush of foliage. Contrary to what is often put forth in many forums, this plant's leaves will not abscise (shed) if the change in light or temperature is favorable. When exposed to increases in light or temperature, the plant gets quite happy & shows it by retaining existing leaves & activating latent buds in old leaf axils, unless of course, it gets too hot or too bright. This plant generally tolerates full sun well when exposure is gradual, likes a fast (well-drained) and 02 rich soil, and likes to become quite dry between waterings (more so in winter than when growing actively). A low-N fertilizer (tomato fertilizer is very good) seems to be best, especially when grown predominantly indoors.

It's called "Weeping Fig" because of the pendulous, weeping habit of the branches and leaves, not for its propensity to shed foliage as cultural conditions become less than ideal. ;o)

Al

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm still curious Al, is it thicker more succulent leaves for dim light or the reverse.

Sorry for my misinformation; guess I shoulda just waited for you instead of trying to show off! [hanging head]

xxxxx, Carrie

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh Carrie - you did just great! You got almost everything right except for the part about the weeping thing - and what you said is a conclusion any of us could logically arrive at. ;o)

Leaves thicken (and curl) on F benjamina in response to very bright light. If you (zone 4-5-6) buy a plant with curled or cupped leaves, it's usually been grown in the south, under very bright light, These plants almost always lose their leaves when you bring them home, even if you place them in direct sun - the light intensity is that much different (reduced). It triggers a photo-period dormant response. The actual mechanism causing the leaf loss is a surge in abscissic acid (a growth regulator or hormone).

Al

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Darn, you're right, Al, I completely forgot to explain the part about abscissic acid !!!! What? Oh, abscissic acid. Of course. How could I have forgotten such a crucial part of the F. benjamina as abscissic acid? (Thank goodness for ctrl C!) Thanks Al, for reminding me about the abscissic acid component of the leaf dropping phenomenon! LOL.

xxxxxx, Carrie [does Al have a sense of humor? I'm not trying to be mean!]

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

He doesn't mind bearing the brunt of good natured teasing at all, and will ever appreciated a good sense of humor. Always looks forward to light exchanges & some levity on the forums. Life's too short to not have some fun, so have at it - your motives seem pure enough and he couldn't even begin to be offended. Answer your question? ;o)

Al

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I just didn't want to offend, How come you know all this stuff?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh, the short answer is probably "Because I don't watch TV"; but you know my tendency to go on, so: About 15 years ago I took a stab at bonsai & failed miserably because I didn't have sufficient knowledge of how plants worked. So, I started reading about soils (extremely important to plant vitality - impossible to over-emphasize it) and horticulture in general. I read for about 5 years, concentrating mainly on college texts & technical internet stuff, and then took up bonsai again. The experience has been much richer and rewarding the second time around - mainly because my plants don't suffer (or die) now, unless I do something crazy (ie something I know better than to do).

I probably have about 75 - 100 tropical or subtropical trees in various stages of development, at least 30-35 of which are one species of Ficus or another, with a definite lean toward F. benjamina, so I've spent some fair amount of time and effort on learning what I can about the Ficus genus, and benjamina in particular.

Al

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the explanation, Al. I've probably memorized "Crockets Victory Garden (the public TV show I never saw) Indoor Gardening", and I LOVE the look of the huge F. benjamina some people (and offices) have. I've never had that much space nor been that good a Mommy to my plants inside. Still, when the question came up about F. benjamina, I thought "I know this one!" And I almost did. Can you tell that my only TV show is Jeopardy!? I do get a little competitive from time to time...

xxxxx, Carrie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.