pony tail palm

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Has anyone ever seen one of these bloom? I went to repot one of mine the other day and the top looked funny. I kept watching it & noticed that it was a bloom getting ready to emerge. I took a pic of it (at work now so can't post pics) and will take another of the blooms once it flowers. I thought it was really neat.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

No way!! LOL!!
Post that photo...anxious to see it....good for you!

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I had no idea they bloom. Can't wait to see the photo.
Patti

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Will post tonight!

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

That's great ! You should also post it in Plantfiles ! There are many pictures but only one with blooms.
Every plant blooms even if you don't see or notice they all do !
Here is one in PF
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/44487/

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Ferns are about the only exception to plants that bloom, I've heard.

There's all the more reason to post that photo!
You're obviously doing some 'good growing'!!

Is yours grown indoors, pdoyle?

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

mine is outdoors right now. Stays inside during the winter. I ahve brought my pics to work to put on here and now I'm having trouble with our system here! grrrrr. I'll get them posted!!!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

pic #1

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

pic#2

Thumbnail by pdoyle23323
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Yea! It worked for you. Never seen one bloom. That is neat. Yes, please post on plant files. I wonder if it is a male/female thing. It may be trying to reproduce as it is root bound. If so, I will never repot mine! Does it have an odor?

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I didn't smell anything. That is its new pot. It was so neglected in its other pot. The roots were showing and it hardly got watered. Seemed like it was always getting knocked over (top heavy). We'll see.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

How do I add this to the plant files? I can "add a plant" but didn't see where I added the image so I didn't do that.

Years ago, got home from work to find the latest pair of kittens had knocked mine over and broke the top out of it. I was sick and set it out and forgot it. Months later I found it had resprouted with a double head. It is still going and gorgeous but never bloomed. Yours is most neat Thank you!

Thumbnail by podster
Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Yours is really healthy looking. I am hoping now that I repotted it, it will "green up some" Not sure why it is yellow.

I am sure there is an easier way but when I have posted, go to plant files, search plants for this one, at the bottom of description, it will ask do this grow in your area, add zipcode, add description, add photo. That is where I have added mine. It will take a few days before it actually is approved and posted. But your photo is an unusual one and worth the trouble.

My leaves tips stay yellow, browned. I don't water as regular as I should. I sit here too much.
I do trim off the uglies some times.

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Ok thanks!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I know wht you mean. I have to make myself get away form this website to get somoe work done. I know my eyes arent taking this too well either.

I've noticed my typing is slipping. My mind and mouth work faster than my fingers..... Have a good day, gotta get going. pod

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

This is great!!
If you can, please take photos of the blooms opening/opened, too!

So you recently re-potted?
I wonder, too, if that had anything to do with it.

I have one too that is about 20 years old and has been severely neglected for much of that time.

A couple of years ago, I'd seen some in a nursery with multiple heads, so I took the plunge and cut mine to produce multiple heads....it now has 5 or 6 ? and I love that look!

I suppose my cutting it back may have hindered it's possibility of blooming....bummer.....

Great job!!!
I doubt that happens often to those grown indoors for most of the year!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I was repotting when I noticed the top looking funny. Didn't look like new leaves coming out but it was green so I just watched it and this is what I have now. This bloom is growing really fast. It is really tall. I'll take another pic tonight.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

I did notice, later (duh!) that you'd state you were 'in the act' of repotting when you noticed the bloom spike...sorry about that!

Thanks for posting these! Looking forward to the next one!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I am enjoying this.

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Me, too!!
It's quite exciting, actually......maybe we're easy to please?!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm easy for anything having to do with plants.

in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow awesome bloom. I hope mine blooms someday. Thanks for sharing the picture.
Patti

Another pushover for plants/blooms here. Nan, You made a comment earlier and I am too lazy to look up the info so I'll ask with apologies,
"Ferns are about the only exception to plants that bloom, I've heard." I am not a fern fiend but like the ones I have. Arborvitae, leather leaf, foxtail, asparagus and sword ferns. They get neglected like the ponytail plant does here. My asparagus and foxtail do bloom and seed. I suppose they're not considered a true fern? I am curious and appreciate your knowledge. pod

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi pod....well...as stated on another thread on "sayings"....I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot......in other words, I don't know much! LOL!
I used to spend my spare time reading every book I could get my hands on about plants, mainly tropicals and/or plants that can be grown indoors....not much spare time these days so I haven't done much 'studying' lately!

You're right.....asparagus and foxtail ferns aren't true ferns.
They're members of the Liliaceae family, along with the edible Asparagus.

I *am* a fern fiend, LOL!....but they don't like to grow indoors as much as I'd like them to!

Ferns are beautiful. I just don't like fussy plants and have considered most ferns fussy. Same with roses ~ they are lovely but I am not willing to give up the time to tend to fussy plants. Would rather sit here?

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, I agree....I've tried many-a-fern, but only a few remain.
I also gave up on roses a long time ago...the lovely grafted ones always revereted back to the spindly 'grow wherever I want and never bloom' rootstock that they were grafted to. Enough of that.

Sit here and discover which plants aren't so fussy...yep..anyday!

Like the good old PTP...can't beat it for non-fussy and easy care!
Now if we could all get them to bloom, like pdoyle....but then again, it wouldn't be so exciting if all ours bloomed, would it!

What a feat, pdoyle! Hope mine blooms when it 'grows up'!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.