dumbcane question -

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I have never had one of these but have always wanted one. I have had this plant for about a week and it seems happy, but have a quick question. Do these plants normally "perspire"? There are always beads of water on the tips of the leaves -

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Yes, they do"perspire"! This is normal, when I did have one or two. Moved and gave them away; too big for my new place, then. http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/717/index.html

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Yes, that is a common 'happening' in aroids and other plants.

It's a process called 'guttation'.....I've read that it is "Proof of root pressure".

Some people say that it means you're overwatering.....I don't agree with that, though.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

thanks for the responses.....

Nan - what is "root pressure". I'm sorry if these a common knowledge things, but I am a complete novice - all I know is that my plants look happy and I haven't had any die in the last couple of years

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Definitely not common knowledge, as I'm not sure myself! LOL!!
All I'm sure of is that it's a common process....and it's more a 'good thing' than bad.

I got this from Dummies.com, adapted from 'Biology for Dummies'

"Do you know what guttation is? Hint: It's not dew

Inside the cells of the root, there is a higher concentration of minerals than there is in the soil surrounding the plant, which makes sense because the root comprises a much smaller area, whereas the soil is a much larger area. This creates osmotic pressure, also called root pressure, which forces water up out of the root through the xylem as more water and minerals are "pulled" into the root from the soil and enter the root cells via osmosis. This force results in guttation, which is the formation of tiny droplets on the ends of leaves or grass early in the morning.

The reason the droplets are seen in the morning is because transpiration — the loss of water from leaves — doesn't occur at night, so the pressure builds until morning. Those droplets are not just water, they're sap. And, those sap droplets are proof that water and minerals get pulled up from the soil and transported through the entire plant.

Guttation may work well for small plants, through which water and minerals do not have far to travel, but what about tall plants? Gravity works against the upward movement through the plant, so more active processes are involved."

Interesting stuff, huh?!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Rub some between two fingers, it should fell, somewhat, sticky. Do not taste IT!! Once upon a time, I tried that and thought it was 'sap', though at that time I had no explanation for it.
Thanks Nan for some interesting stuff. 8^)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.