Streptocarpus after using Messenger

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

I've had this plant for a couple of years and using all kinds of recommended foods it's only ever produced a couple of bloom stems a year. I never did have much luck with getting these to rebloom (nor african violets for that matter) so I wasn't too surprised. Until I used Messenger that I got in a co-op a month or so ago. I took it outside because all the inside shots were terrible, and I did just a tad of PhotoShopping to it because my camera doesn't like the blue tints much. Blooming her little head off.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

WOW Stunning ! You should post this in the African violet and Gsneriad forum also ! I love growing Streps. Mine bloom year round but not like your's great growing. What kind of light does your's get ?
And this Messenger what is it all about ?

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Violet_Treasure, here's a 'before messenger' shot, taken on May 12. Not very good because I'm standing in a dark room looking out the SE window. Just under the ferns, see her? The messenger was applied on May 25 and the 'after' shot was from this morning, June 25.

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Oh, and here's the info on Messenger. There might still be a co-op open for it too. Check the co-op forum. And put the word messenger in the search bar and look through appropriate forums (you can skip the computer talk forum for instance) for lots of different info on it. http://www.edenbio.com/garden/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=48

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Here's where she lives while she's being so beautiful for me. Also good lighting, the window faces south.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Absolutely beautiful!

MsC

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

MsC, Lionel and I say hey. Usually don't frequent this particular forum since I pretty much have always sucked at AVs. I sure recognize you from the pets forum though. I'm getting a pretty good feeling about being able to indulge my AV attraction in this new place. I have such a perfect spot for them in the bay window. Oh boy, another addiction! I'm not much for plugging particular products but for certain things the Messenger worked miracles. Now I have to look up the Hualapai Mountains, sounds really intriguing. There are parts of AZ that I absolutely love and parts that I absolutely hate; course I can surely say the same of California.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Hiya Steela!
That is a beautiful strep! If you can grow that you can really grow AV's.
Come on they are so much fun. I only killed about 1000 before I finally got the hang of it.:) Self watering pots saved my ego & all my Av's..lol

We moved here to AZ about 2 months ago. Hubby was offered a nice job and so here we are. This ole Texas girl sure misses home but the Hualapai Mts are as nice as you can get for Arizona I guess. It's not as hot as some places here and most folks are real nice,too. One thing for sure....there ain't no hurricanes up here.:)

The new house has lots of nice windows for the Av's & a nice room for the ZooCrew & a nice job for hubby,so what more could I ask for??

Pretty blessed.

Hugs to you & Lionel!
MsC

Dunedin, FL(Zone 10b)

Your plant is beautiful. Thanks for the info !

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

What a beautiful strep. I wish I could get mine to bloom like that, although one of mine is blooming pretty well now. It is just a tiny little thing. Maybe it needs some Messenger.

Jesse

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Jesse, I'd sure recommend it, at least for this plant. This one for sure it was the Messenger. Other plants I used it on also got other stuff besides and I'm not sure where to give credit for their thriving. I have never, ever been good with getting streps to bloom and this is such a treat. I might even stop by the nursery today and see if they have another, just for the thrill of doing it again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.