Can't get verbena seeds to germinate

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Any advice? I followed the directions (or so I thought), but it's not working. I know that some things start easily from seed and some are more difficult. Tamara

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

They always take about 3-4 weeks for me.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

That could be it. Guess I need to be more patient! Tamara

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know its hard in the summer to be patient with seeds--they always seem to take longer for me than they are supposed to, or maybe it just seems that way!
:)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

What type are you trying to start? Verbena bonariensis for example does best with a jaunt through the fridge or winter sown.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

It's Verbena x hybrida 'Adonis Mango' F1 hybrid. It says to keep sowing mix on dry side at all times. Well, what exactly does that mean? A few drops of water, a teapspoon? *sigh* I tried it with vermiculite and put it in my outdoor portable greenhouse. Nada. So, I tried another method which has worked very well with other seeds. I cut a piece of paper towel, put some water on it , wrung it out, placed the seeds on top, folded it over, placed it in a plastic baggy, and put it on top of the fridge. Everything else germinated that way, but this. If I didn't really love the look of this plant, I would give up on it. But I guess I might be forced to if I can't figure out what it wants. Tamara

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

So, will it grow from seed if it's a hybrid? ( I don't under stand this seed starting, sorry for stupid question, I know.)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

There are a few hybrids that are sterile and can't grow from seed, but most of them can. The problem with a lot of hybrids (and the reason why seeds aren't usually the recommended propagation method) is that they don't come true from seed, so you never know what your plant will look like. However, F1 hybrids do come true from seed.

Painesville, OH(Zone 5b)

Not a dumb question, Tabasco. I thought the same thing until I saw the packet info! I figured it must come true or they couldn't sell it. I really wish I could just buy the plant instead. All the verbena I see available locally for purchase are just one color. Here's what it looks like:
http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/us/en/product/8693/1
It's only sold as a seed, as far as I can tell. I wish I could mail the packet to someone good at starting seeds and they could mail me back a few of the plants! Tamara

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Tamara, you could always take the name of the plant to one of your local nurseries and see if they could order it for you...I'm sure some wholesale grower somewhere grows it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.