Meyers lemon tree-scale problem

New York, NY

I have a 3 foot meyers lemon tree in a pot which is covered with scale. Is there any way to get rid of it without using some deadly poison? I have tried wiping them off with soapy water and alcohol but I can't seem to get rid of them this way. We have been eating the lemons over the last 3 years and would like to continue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated-thanks.

Toledo, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know if this would help, but, when I was a smoker, I used to save my butts and soak them in water, strain out the solids and paint the plants with the "nicotine tea". It worked wonderfully when I needed it. If you dont' smoke, you could always buy a cheap pack and use what you need and keep the rest in the freezer for the next time you need it. It can also be put in a sprayer and sprayed on the plants, but with the infestation you are talking about, I think painting would be better, and perhaps spraying once every couple of days.

New York, NY

Thanks,
I will try this.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

bethphelps,
I don't have a cure, but I have a few suggestions. One is to check all the stems for scale. When my Meyer first got scale, I was looking only on the leaves, not realizing the stems and trunk were almost completely covered with scale. When you spray with the alcohol, be sure every possible surface is hit, and then repeat every week or so. After I sprayed, I used a paper towel to rub on the stems and branches to wipe off the critters. Also, if you can have the plant outside for the summer, that seems to take care of most of the scale. In the fall, spray again several times when you bring it inside.

Susan in Minneapolis

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Volck Oil is ok for food plants. You spray them with it when the weather cools (if you live in a hot-sun area), just follow the instructions on the bottle. Or, since it's in a pot you could do it now but move it to a shady spot or it will burn (much like we would if we put on baby oil and sat in the sun!). Scroll down when you pull up the link.

http://www.ortho.com/index.cfm/event/ProductGuide.product/documentId/a69ec3d28e01117707546b170426b519

K

P.S. Volck Oil should only be used outdoors.....read the info!

This message was edited Jul 7, 2006 3:57 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.