Can I start poppy seeds now?

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

I just got a wide variety of annual poppy seeds. I am aware poppy seeds need light to germinate and are best sown in Fall or early Spring. I have lots of seeds and live in an area that gets hot in the summer, but not too hot (80-85 degrees is a heat wave). I was thinking of sowing half the seeds now into peat pots that I could then take directly into the garden if I can get germination, maybe even get a flower or two this year? The rest of the seeds I plan to plant either this Fall or next Spring. Covering my bases so to speak.

Do you think if I sow some seeds now I might get germination? Or is that simply a waste of seeds?

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

How many days from germ to flower? That would be the key because you probably have what, 3 mos of warm weather and then it becomes iffy?

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Good question! Apparently blooming starts about 8-12 weeks after germination, so it might be I have enough time to try a few and take a chance. Our "normal" frost date is mid October here, but it is certainly not uncommon to have frost in September.

The other factor is that apparently the seeds like to go through a bit of cold before they germinate, and they "prefer" something like night-time temperatures of 35 to 45 degrees F and day-time temperatures of 50 to 65 degrees F. I can't quite meet that. Our nights right now are around 50 degrees, and our days are mid-70's or so. I might try putting them in the fridge? freezer? for a day or two or three? and see if I can prompt something.

Hummmm.

Still trying to decide....

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I grow them here over the winter--I think; but don't know for a fact, that they need stratification (cold).

Heck if it's only a few seeds what's the harm- live and learn, otherwise plant them in fall for spring flowering.

boone, NC(Zone 5b)

Yeah, I think that's what I'm gonna do.

Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.