Norfolk Island Pine ?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

good morning,

i just inherited a 6 foot norfolk island pine. i'm not knowing much about the plant. i do intergrated trophical gardens and have no idea where the best place to summer this type of plant outdoors. i heard they are really touchy and just want to make sure i allow a proper place for it to adjust.

anyone have any suggestions they would be much appreciated.

thanks!!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

check out this link...http://www.thegardenhelper.com/norfolk.html. Hope it helps.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

senlarrs...thanks it was really helpful....i'm thinking it's going to be looking pretty funny next to a banana tree! but that's where it's going for the bright but filtered sunlight. should be interesting!

thanks again!

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Glad to be a help, yes, that will be funny!LOL How about a picture, sometime?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

i most certainly will post a picture soon! actually, i have really done something like this before. we did a tropical display for this years springfest for our county. we put a cypress smack in the middle! it's funny how no one noticed!

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

Hi, where I live it's not unusual to see mix-and-match plant types. For instance, I have bananas that live four feet away from a young redwood tree. As far as Norfolk Island Pine, most of my adult life I've had one, either inside for the winter and in dappled light for the summer, or, in So Cal, just sitting out on the NW deck (but right next to the ocean so not horrible heat). I've never considered them fussy. Except keeping them away from heat sources in the house. Nearly killed one by having it too close to the radiator. If I lived where you live I'd probably just put it out with the bananas and then over-winter it in a bright but cool window indoors. They make wonderful Christmas trees, BTW.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

oh stella your so right...this is last years horticulture therapy gardens ....look close...you can see the cypress in the back!!! like she really belongs there??? LOL...but it was fun to mix and match.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2006 6:37 PM

Thumbnail by tobee43

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.