need some suggestions, please!

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

Have a space that needs a plant, but we can't find anything we really like. We really like "architectural plants" (as I have seen them called), such as Cane Yucca, Dracaena Massagena, Mother in Laws tongue, etc

It can't be more than 43" high.......

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

The ultimate in 'architectural plants', (to me, anyway), are the tall Euphorbias.
Even better are the ones that have both normal and 'crested' growth.

Does your location have a lot of good, high light?

Google image links seem to be 'broken' when I try to post them on DG.....so try a Google search for Euphorbia lactea....then click 'images'....you'll see photos of both crested and non-crested forms.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

yes, the area has abundant light.....it is in an odd corner between a south facing bay window and a west facing window

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Sounds like good light, then....I have a few that grow well in east, west and south windows.

Did you search for the Euphorbia photos?
(Just wondering what you thought of them?)

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I did look it up and I like it -

I stopped by one of the specialty nurseries over lunch to see if they had them (they did not) but they did have some "Fabian Aralia" which were awesome.....looked alot like this one:
http://plantranchco.com/Photos/large/10AraFab.jpg

SW, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, yeah! I forgot about Polysicas (Ming Aralias)!!
A large specimen is definitely another 'architectural' plant.

That one is lovely (I have a few Polysicas myself) but it's a bit 'persnickety' compared to some of the other Aralias....I had one and lost mine....but you might do better with it than I did.

The Polyscias fruticosas are easier to care for than the Fabian Aralias.....
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/12798/

I see the person who shared that photo states that they're fussy and like high humidity.....I'd agree with that on the 'Fabian Aralia', but not on the fruticosa.....it's much easier to grow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.