Mottled Leaf Spot

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hi, This is a pretty tall tree that I call a corn plant. I know that's not the real name, but it looks like it. Perhaps someone knows the real name, but more importantly what are these mottled leaves? Is this a deficiency of some sort? Thanks

Thumbnail by cnswift
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Secondly, what could be causing this dead spot that looks like it's chewed in the middle of several of the leaves? Are the issues related? It's so weird. All I usually use for fertilizer on this one is miracle grow for houseplants.

Thanks a bunch, Christina

Thumbnail by cnswift
Utica, MI(Zone 6b)

I have had this problem in the past.........It lasted for a long time, and then died...unfortunately, I dont have an explination for the problem, or a solution....but I do wish you luck......

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

thanks, it's such a mystery. I was hoping I could just fertilize it with something.

Emporia, KS(Zone 5b)

cnswift, do you have a picture you could share of the whole plant? If someone recognizes the whole plant, they may be able to share how they take care of theirs. From here, it looks like some kind of dracaena, which don't tolerate fluoride and chlorine from tap water well and could cause the brown edges. If you let your water sit out for a day or two before watering your plant, it would help. It could also probably be fertilizer burn- from fertilizing too much. Or possibly it's reacting to hard water?

If I were you, I'd try using some distilled water (less than a dollar at your local store) to see if no more damage is created and I wouldn't fertilize at all during this time.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Hello, Yes, I think you're right it's a dracaena. This one almost looks like it, but without the stripes: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/119595/index.html. I've had this plant in this pot in this same spot for at least five years. It's now quite tall. The spots are new however. I've only ever watered it with tap water and fertilize with miracle grow occassionally. Up until now the biggest problem with maintenance is merely keeping the leaves dusted! We do have hard water however, and maybe it has left deposits in the soil over time? Here's a photo of the whole plant.

Thumbnail by cnswift

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.