Purple Martin, Bluebird and Tree Swallow nesting site

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

I would have more baby Bluebirds and Tree Swallows to show, but House Sparrows have destroyed at least 20 eggs this season, at this site. Five Bluebird eggs have been destroyed. These two may survive.

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

I don't know how to post multiple photos in one message here so I get to post a lot! Here's what happens if the HOSP don't get the eggs - hatching day - different nests. Two eggs and two young Bluebirds.

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Tree Swallows make pretty nests! All of these shots were taken Saturday.

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Four big Tree Swallow young pretend that nobody's home. They fledge sometime this coming week.

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

I told you to STOP messing with MY kids!

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

My Martins create mud dams at the door before nesting. Man has created similar Purple Martin entrances after noticing that Starling cannot enter a compartment entrance that's similar to this. The round entrace hole isn't suggested in most housing now.

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Behind the mud dam. I suspect that this is hatching day for these two out of four Purple Martin eggs.

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Then, there's the REALLY unexpected. I lowered the gourd rack down about 17 feet. She's just fine! A one year old lady that just wants to incubate. I counted her three eggs by fingers and nudged her a bit, to be sure that she didn't start to nap while I was visiting. She decided that she'd go get something to eat after we closed up the door and checked the rest of the plastic gourds. She decided to build a little mud dam between the door and her eggs, but it's not a Starling blockade. She's just a "little different".

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

This shot was taken a couple of weeks ago. Leftys?

Thumbnail by Stelco
Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Another photo from the same day. Today's count is five young Purple Martin and about 80 eggs. Two hatched and four Bluebird eggs in two nests . Some TRES ready to go and more to come. How many more will House Sparrows kill this year????

Thumbnail by Stelco
Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Great photography! Those newly hatched chicks are so tiny and vulnerable, such easy prey for non-native birds. (And for the awful mites and insects that dirty sparrows introduce, as well.) These photos really bring home what a precarious situation these tiny birds are in. I'm glad you are doing your best to watch over them.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for these pictures and info. One day I hope to be able to live in a place where I can have a martain house and maintain a bluebird trail (my dream :)

In the meantime, thanks, the pictures are great! And I wish you success with your HOSPs problems.

Maureen

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks!

Maureen,

I had to "adopt" this Martin colony and trail. I drive 30 miles at least once a week to maintain it. So, you could, but with gas prices and trying to give enough support to the birds it is difficult.

Mark

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow I bet that can get expensive.

I'm not in a position to take one on right now but one day I will have a trail :)

Maureen

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Stelco, you serve a major pat on the back!

The second year after we started our martin colony, we had a disaster involving a martin that died in the house from large wounds (we guess it had been attacked by some predator?) We didn't know the dead adult bird was there, and although we had removed sparrow nests previously, the mites left behind by the sparrows multiplied on the body, and soon overran the entire martin house. We were too new and didn't know what had happened until the adults abandoned the house and the baby martins started falling. It was horrible. Long story short, I only managed to save one baby martin by buying a cage and feeding him mealworms from a pet store round the clock for days. Finally found a bird rehabber who placed him in another martin family. That little martin was a $40 bird time I was done with him. Yikes!

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks! Most people don't know going into it that providing housing for Purple Martins is a challenge. Nest checks are very important. Controlling parasites is a problem. HOSP are a problem. You have to be prepared for failed nests, failed eggs, dead adults and young . . . It can be very trying and very rewarding. Sometimes a bad year can make folks who have hosted Martins for years give up.

Doesn't New Mexico have the western species? I didn't think that they nested in colony housing. Please fill me in!

Mark

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Yes, sorry for the confusion Mark. We moved to NM recently, and our martin colony was in Texas. You're right, I don't think martin houses work here in NM. In fact I didn't know there were any purple martins in the state at all, until your question sent me scurrying to look it up!

When we sold our house last year, the colony was going strong, but the new owner didn't seem very interested in martins...so I worry a little.

It was a rough start for our martin experience to lose the babies that year, but we learned. Back then we hesitated to lower the house once the babies had reached a certain size...we thought it might make them fly too early...wrong. But the adults came back next March. They were wonderful friends to have in our yard each year, and I miss their voices overhead.

I also learned to have great respect for parent birds. The little martin refused to open his beak for two days; I had to pry it open with a fingernail and push each worm down. Finally he started gaping his mouth for me (what a relief). The feeding was endless; I took his cage to work so I could keep it up. The bird rehabber did say he was nice and plump, but I was pooped! What a relief to turn him over to martins. I don't know how they do it...and they can't drive to the pet store for worms, either!

Sheri

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Sheri,

It probably would have been better to donate the Martin house than to leave it for folks who don't care about Martins, but don't let it bother you.

Cornell says that no nest boxes of any kind are accepted by Martins in Arizona and New Mexico! Now, that would give me a challenge! They are still semi-colonial birds, but don't prefer the close nest proximity of the eastern species. How much land do you have? I'd be tempted to find some old, tall, untreated posts, drill some holes in them and put them up. If you didn't get Martins you could probably convince something to move in. I'm sure that you could find something cool looking that would fit with your garden and landscape. Here's the link that I was reading:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/publications/birdscope/Winter2002/A_Home_for_the_Purple_Martin.html

The map looks good for your area. Martins are expanding in numbers. It's bad here in Michigan. That's why I started my Website and do what I do. The map is at the bottom.

Here's another statement that I found:
"Martins in Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico nest only in cavities in trees and cacti."

Mark

Thumbnail by Stelco
Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Hmmm, that is really interesting! Thank you for the link. We have a bit over an acre. It is mainly uncultivated and natural. We do have big stands of yucca that some birds nest in, and I found two nice spherical nests in some large cholla cactus last year (maybe cactus wren?) Now you have me thinking. Wonder who would come if I secured some gourds to a yucca clump or a big cholla cactus?

Our previous martin houses were on telescoping poles. If we put up tall untreated poles with holes in them, I wonder how I could access the nests regularly? Same problem with being high on a spiky yucca clump. (I can just see myself on a ladder, falling over backwards, clutching a sparrow nest, and landing on a prickly pear.) This may require creativity.

I read there is an Audobon Society chapter here in town. I should email them to see if any local members are trying to attract martins. I'll definately post back if I learn anything interesting.

Poquoson, VA(Zone 7b)

oldmudhouse,
Just wanted to mention from my past experience, cat food is an acceptable quick-fix substitute for baby-bird feeding. I found this out when I 'adopted' a few babies found at the amusement park where I was working. Their main animal person couldn't take them on, but gave me that tip. Dog food apparently doesn't have a high enough protein content, but cat food works. The canned, pureed kind is easiest, but the dry will work if you soak it in water for a while (I usually pulse it in a blender for a bit, too).

So, for next time...cat food is easier to find & cheaper than mealworms ;-) And for very small babies, a needle-less syringe filled with a loose paste of cat food works well (just go slowly & don't choke them)

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

Thank you Backyard, I will be sure to remember that! Pulsed cat food would definately be cheaper and easier to find...and a little less unsettling to handle, as well. I even had the syringes around at the time, if I had just known what to do.

I don't plan to be become a mother bird again anytime soon (I rather hope not) but you never know what will turn up. Hope your adopted babies did well.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Sheri, climbing a ladder, falling over backyards while grasping a sparrow nest and landing on a prickly pear would be what I would do! Are we related??

Mark, I don't have much land.....60x132 is all our town lot is. Would I have a snowballs chance of ever attracting purple martins?

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Purple Martins prefer open areas, preferably close to water Tall trees nearby are a big problem.

The place I maintain is on school property. If you have an open area nearby you may stand a better chance there.

How close is nearby?

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Preferably 100 feet from any tree taller than the Martin housing, which is usually 16 to 18 feet up. Trees make great hunting blinds for Hawks an Owls and the Martins know it.

Well........I can't say it.....but you understand.....my tree out back would be within 100 ft, otherwise I'd be clear....mumble mumble mumble.......

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

One tree isn't always a death sentence for a potential site. It depends on what else is around. There are some GREAT guidelines at:
http://www.purplemartin.org/
Just scroll down to the download center. It has tons of tips for beginners and those who run into problems. Don't give up until you read some of their material. Then, if your site still seems to be unfavorable see whats available nearby. Are there any local colonies? That's a huge bonus!

Well tootles. My lot is 132 deep. With a house somewhere about middle. Big old 3 story house. Garage out back. 25 ft probably from the house. Alley behind garage. Corner lot. Utility wires on the corner side. From garage to sidewalk up against house is my mini prairie. It's in this area that I had thought of erecting a martin house. The closest tree would be about 30 ft. away. Cross the (side) street, same side as utility wires and us, is another house. Behind their garage is the same alley. Behind the alley my side, is a 1 story business. Behind the alley on their side, is a park with non-native plants and a gazebo. In front of all those is Main St.....pop. of my town around 7600. Fire Station is across the street, on Main, from the park.

I don't think most people here know what a purple martin is. I haven't seen any colonies around.

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Don't get too discouraged, yet!!! Folks in Griggsville sure know what Martins are!!!
http://www.naturesociety.org/griggsville.html
The Nature Society has been around for a LONG time.

Here is a list of active colonies and wannabes in your state:
http://www.purplemartin.org/mentorprogram/index.php?loc=IL

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

terryr, I'd hate to encourage you to go to the trouble and expense of putting up a house if it doesn't work, but I hate for you to be totally discouraged either. We had a clump of 3 big live oak trees about 30 feet from our martin houses. Lots of power lines (they liked those for perching.) We were close to a river, so that was a big plus. Except for that one clump of trees, there was lots of open space around the martin house, so they could easily "swoop" in from many directions.

However, in the small town next to ours there was a business that sold martin houses. They had a bunch of them installed in their parking lot, in a busy downtown area. Two story buildings all around, solid concrete everywhere, no water at all, constant car traffic and noisy shoppers under the houses. The only "open" area was a parking lot. In spite of this, these houses always had much more successful colonies than we did...and I never saw anyone tend to those houses at all. Go figure.

We also had some land out in the country by a little pond that we thought would work for martins...never did get those martin houses to work. I think there were not enough people around.They like to be close to human activity, apparently.

The local radio gardening show often had callers who had well-positioned homes that did not attract martins; at the same time, I knew of cruddy old martin houses elsewhere that had not been tended for years, pole halfway falling over etc., and they were covered up with martins. I think it's hard to predict. Wish I could be of more help!

Mark, there are a few near me. It seems most are mentees. Tonica isn't too far away, but farther than the 30 mile limit the man has. I could still email him and ask....the worst I could get was a no. Where the heck is Griggsville? I need to do a search and find out where that town is.

Thanks Sheri, I'm going to think on it and do some pricing. Who knows...If I can get Mark to move here, between he and I, we could get martins! :o)

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Griggsville is near Springfield:
http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=&csz=Griggsville%2C+Illinois&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Well, only 2 1/2 hours south.......

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

That's 2 1/2 hours south, as the Terry drives. How long for a bird that makes a round trip to Brazil each year? ;-)

I wouldn't have a clue. You are going to enlighten me, aren't you? Those little birdies way down there are going to bypass what they have going on down there and come to my house instead?

I just meant it's not like I can just pick up and drive there any old time I like. And remember, that 2 1/2 hours is as the Terry drives...which means faster than the posted speed limit!

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Terry,

I "adopted" the colony that I am monitoring because it is a critical colony to the area of the state that I live in. If I had not volunteered to assume the responsibility of caring for this colony and Bluebird trail, housing for Martins would not have gone up this year and the Bluebird boxes would have been overtaken by HOSP. The fellow who started this colony is in his 90s and just can't do it any more. Martins, Tree Swallows and Bluebirds would have suffered more than they have if I had not stepped in. My "plan" is to increase the size of this colony to a level that pushes birds to find available housing in areas nearby where we have lost our Martins in mid-Michigan. I don't know if my plan will work, but I have saved this colony and intend to increase the number of birds fledged until I can no longer do so. When the colony increases to the point where I put hundreds of birds in the air each year they will have to go somewhere if housing is filled upon their return from Brazil.

We know that some returning Martins will travel hundreds of miles from their fledge site to settle in a different colony. Banded Martins from your state show up here. New colonies are being started in Michigan, but it is NOT easy to do! For Martins to travel from Griggsville to your place would be a walk in the park for them (or fly in the park).

I'm sure that I mentioned it, but I don't like to push my project. I had a "perfect" site for establishing a new Purple Martin colony. After several years of trying I decided to study what is going on in Michigan with Martins, via the Internet. I am not quite into my second year live, online. We are starting to learn a little, but need more participants and data. Check out my Website for maps and site data, which will give you an idea of what we are up against. The population decline graph shows why this bird is a species of special concern in Michigan, just below the threatened level. My Website is www.michiganmartins.com

Mark

Hi Mark,

I'll go to your website when I have more time to just sit and read. It always takes me longer than I think it will. This trail that you've taken on.....is it private property? I'm just wondering if something happens to the man who started it, and it's on his land, what then? I spoke with our town zoning officer today, who's also a family friend. I spoke to him a lot about what's going on in town, the lack of any type of balance in our town, the towns weed n feeding etc. He listened. I don't know that it will do any good, but he did listen. I have a park behind and caddy corner from me. The other day, there was a crew there spraying the weed n feed. You can't walk on the grass for how long after? We're a Tree Town USA, we should be concerned with what our town does also. I won't just stick up a house and assume I know what I'm doing. I will study it first and see if I think it's a good idea for me. If not, then I won't do it. So far, my trap isn't catching anything. I see the HOSP in my yard, at my birdbath, but no where near the trap. I'm not giving up, I'm just stating what I'm seeing.

Terry

Dewitt, MI(Zone 5b)

The trail is on village property. The elementary, middle and high school all share a large plot of land. The football, soccer and baseball fields are there, along with a bunch of parking lots. It all has to drain somewhere, so they have a fenced in water retention pond. That’s where the housing is. I hope to get the science teachers interested. If the kids get excited about it there is plenty more to do and maybe some will want housing on their land. Just have to be careful and make sure that everyone knows what they are doing before the housing goes up.

Good luck with your project. Mowing or planting native plants and letting things go beats spraying expensive chemicals that just kill wildflowers (weeds).

Those HOSP are smart! Don’t give up. I’ll put a trapping post together with some tips.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

I'll be looking forward to that post....I think the HOSPs are on to me. There are a ton of them in my yard and now they don't go near the trap. I'm not giving up either because they drive me crazy.

Mark, You hope to get the science teachers interested? Gosh, I'd think they just would be. Like mim, I'm waiting for that post!

mim, they aren't going near mine either. How darn frustrating. (I'm already crazy, or so I've been told!)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.